Search for content in message boards

NETHERBY HALL

Replies: 6

NETHERBY HALL

J. Marshall Neathery (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Graham, Netherby, Nethrie, Netherie, Neathery, Nethery
I am searching for any information on the surname NETHERBY and the place name NETHERBY HALL, the ancestral home of the Grahams......in County Cumbria, England.

It is said by several noted genealogists that my surname, which is spelled both NEATHERY and NETHERY, originated with the Grahams of Netherby Hall, County Cumbria, near Longtown......in the Liddell and River Esk areas of the ancient Debatable Lands of the border.

Family history says that about 1605, 'Walter, the gude man of Netherby and 124 of his compatriots, mostly Grahams'.....were deported by King James I to Ireland for "being troublesome on the Scottish border."

The members of this deported clan were shipped from Workington, England (County Cumbria) to Roscommon in Ireland.

Some of these 124 people apparently took the name NETHERBY as their own surname in Ireland, for reasons of their choice.

In 1600s Scotland, the name Netherie, Nethrie, Netherey, is found from Edinburgh to Fife, and from Perth to Aberdeen.............in the Lowlands area.

It is my understanding that NETHERBY or NETHERBYE means lower way, lower road, lower gate, lower creek, etc.

Neathery and Nethery............as it is commonly spelled in America is said to have originated from Netherby Hall. There are those persons in the States who spell their name NETHERBY also.

Any information that anyone could share with me on my surname and its connection with Netherby and Netherby Hall will be most appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
J. Marshall Neathery 22 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT 
LilBruin13 11 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Anne Richards... 21 Jun 2011 2:39AM GMT 
scaredypossum 22 Jul 2011 8:43AM GMT 
claymore73 15 Aug 2012 12:05AM GMT 
claymore73 15 Aug 2012 12:06AM GMT 
claymore73 15 Aug 2012 12:07AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.