Search for content in message boards

The Wards of Grimstone, Gilling, Helmsley and Middlesbrough

Replies: 3

The Wards of Grimstone, Gilling, Helmsley and Middlesbrough

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 12:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WARD
I have been researching my Family Tree for a few years, which currently starts with a Robert Ward and his wife Ann who were both born sometime in the 1770s, probably in Grimstone or Gilling. The first reasonably reliable data I have starts with their son, Jonathan Ward of Grimstone who was born in 1810. He married Ann Chapman, who was born in Hawnby in 1811, on 25 Oct 1832 in Hawnby. Her parents, I think, were George and Rachel Chapman. In the 1841 Census, Jonathan is shown as being a Publican and he appears as such up to the 1871 Census. Ann Ward died and was buried in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough in 1878.

Their male children took up various trades, mostly in the building industry (bricklayers and joiners) and, probably as a result of the Industrial Revolution in the mid-1800s, relocated out of the Dales into the cities, and most to Linthorpe, Middlesbrough. My father, Charles Morrison Ward, who was born near Ferryhill, reflects this and, apart from a period in the Army (RHA) in the 1920s, was a bricklayer up until the begining of the Second World War. He first joined the Army and became a glider pilot and then transferred to the RAF in which he was commissioned and became a pilot flying DC3s in India with 117 Squadron supplying, amongst others, the Chindits fighting in Burma.

Please, can anyone help me get back further than Jonathan and Ann Ward in the early 1800s, and/or provide me with any information they may have on their decendants?

In advance, Many thanks,

Michael Ward
(b: 5 Jul 1940, Northchurch, Hertfordshire.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Ward 11 Apr 2009 6:13PM GMT 
timwarduk 29 Apr 2010 1:10PM GMT 
Michael Ward 29 Apr 2010 2:03PM GMT 
timwarduk 29 Apr 2010 3:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.