Search for content in message boards

Family of John Merritt UE

Replies: 19

Re: Family of John Merritt UE

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes thanks I can view your tree.

I did find more info on Chloe. A quote from a book on the following post.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=1422&am...

"And there is also this information from "A Genealogical History of the Rehoboth Branch of the Carpenter Family in America" by Amos B. Carpenter, 1898. I have bo idea if this is at all accurate.

Caleb was b. Sept. 26, 1742; m. 1st, Hannah Carpenter; m. 2d, Elizabeth Wilson, a widow; he d. March 22, 1810; moved to Guilford, Vt This was probably the Caleb who was fined with others for abducting Lieutenant Benjamin Carpenter for the purpose to have him taken by an order from the government of New York, who had offered a bounty on his body if taken and delivered over to the Government of New York. But the State's Attorney was directed to suspend the collection of the fine, and the fine was remitted by Governor and Council, Oct. 27, 1784. His grandson, Wilson Carpenter of Penobscot, Me., writes: (Dated) "Oct. 8, 1848. My grandparents, Caleb and Elizabeth Wilson in company with uncles Benjamin and Edward, moved from Providence, R. I., to Guilford, Vt., Windham County, I think in '76 or '77. My grandfather's Christian name was Caleb: my grandmother's name was Elizabeth; she was from the Wilson family; my father's family consisted of five children; there were three brothers of us and two sisters; Chloe, Wilson, Edward, Hiram. Hiram married a young woman by the name of Margaret and settled in Ohio. The youngest sister, Cynthia, and Edward Mark I have no knowledge of. My sister Chloe married Thomas Wescott and settled in Nova Scotia. I married Lucy Grant with whom I have lived fifty-and-one years the 4th of March. 1848."

It seems that Chloe was the daughter of Caleb Carpenter's 2nd or possibly third wife, Elizabeth Wilson. Seems that Caleb had a wife Hannah and possibly a Lucy mentioned in other places. I believe Caleb is a direct decendant of Edward Swanzey Carpenter who decended from William Carpenter and Abigail Searles who came from England. William and Abigail came to Mass. USA sometime after 1625. I haven't researched this any further but I have found some good links.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Debbie Burr 21 May 2011 9:33PM GMT 
CherylAndrews... 22 May 2011 3:05PM GMT 
Debbie Burr 22 May 2011 7:27PM GMT 
wfletchman_54 10 Mar 2012 6:15PM GMT 
wfletchman_54 10 Mar 2012 6:17PM GMT 
Debbie Burr 10 Mar 2012 6:35PM GMT 
wfletchman_54 11 Mar 2012 3:20AM GMT 
Debbie Burr 11 Mar 2012 3:51AM GMT 
Debbie Burr 11 Mar 2012 3:55AM GMT 
wfletchman_54 11 Mar 2012 7:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.