Search for content in message boards

St Hedwig's Industrial School & Orphanage/Niles, Illinois

Replies: 2

Re: St Hedwig's Industrial School & Orphanage/Niles, Illinois

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 12:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Feb 2005 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: Kolakowski, Novak, Nowak
My grandmother Victoria Kolakowski, as well as her sister Anna and brother Walter (Stanislaus) were placed at St. Hedwig's Orphanage after their mother died and left their father with 5 children to raise. An older sister Sophie was sent to work as a servant in an unknown household, and the youngest child, Regina, was given (adopted) to yet a different family.

The three were at the orphanage from 1913 until approximately 1925 and were able to reunite with their eldest sister, but never found the youngest. They thought their father, Joseph (Jozef) Kolakowski eventually remarried, but never visited them at the orphanage. After my grandmother died in 1963, we gradually all lost touch.

Anna married Arthur Novak and lived in Chicago with her 2 sons Alexander and Theodore before moving to California. We think she died between 1965-70.

Walter changed his last name from Kolakowski to Novak, married, had five daughters and lived in Chetek, Wisconsin before retiring abt 1976 to New Port Richey, Florida. He died in 2002.

I would love to reconnect with anyone who is related to, or knew these family members.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Barbara Burt 19 Apr 2003 3:59PM GMT 
Kimberly Glass 2 Dec 2003 2:50AM GMT 
diannemichels... 2 Apr 2004 7:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.