Search for content in message boards

Mayor of Flint, MI John J. Mckeighan

Replies: 3

Re: Mayor of Flint, MI John J. Mckeighan

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 9:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKeighan
Yes, I knew John J. McKeighan well. In fact I was just writing an answer to the same question for my nephew. John J. was not mayor of Flint, his brother Bill was. He was however very prominent in Flint political and social circles and was a Flint Police Commissioner.

Yes, I do. The man is John J. McKeighan; he was a pharmacist and very prominent in Flint, MI social and political circles. He was a contemporary of [removed name]and his brother Bill (William) was the mayor of Flint for several years. Mr. McKeighan was called "Boss" by the people who worked with him or knew him well. [name removed] worked for him and so did I at McKeighan's Drug Store on Saginaw St. in Flint. His first drugstore was directly across the street from your great-gandfather's and grandmother's house. For about the last ten years of his life he and my mother dated. He asked my mother to marry him although [name removed] objected strenuously and she never did. Despite being full-bllooded Irish and damn proud of it he became a member of the jewish faith in his later years including all of the years that I knew him more closely. What else do you want to know about him? I can write or talk about him for hours as he was a mentor and one of my "father-figures" when I was growing up after my dad died. Another father-figure was my uncle on my mother's side of the family; [name removed]. For those of us with any affinity for the Irish it is nice to know that Boss also owned a tavern next door to the drugstore that was named Blarney Tavern and he owned several pieces of rental property; both business and residential.

Although I have a clear 8x10 photo of Boss, my mother and Jane it is in a PDF format and this system does not allow for attaching PDF formatted documents.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Patricia Salyer 17 Aug 2002 2:22AM GMT 
Ann McKeighan Lee 6 Oct 2003 11:05PM GMT 
sxweiss1 23 Mar 2009 3:38PM GMT 
sxweiss1 23 Mar 2009 4:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.