Search for content in message boards

Strawderman - Dispoinet

Replies: 1

Strawderman - Dispoinet

Dennis L. Strawderman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 1998 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Strawderman, Stadermann, Dispoinet, Disponet, Roberts

My ancestors come from Hardy County but since Hardy County was once part of Hampshire County, I wanted to post this query her as well.

My 4th great grandfather is John Anthony Strawderman. He died in Hardy County in 1814. He purchased land there in the 1790's. Family tradition is that he was a Hessian soldier.

In looking at the Hetrina, I came across two men by the name of Stadermann. One was Johann Stadermann brn in the 1750's in Mittelsinn. The other is Anton Stadermann brn in 1754 in Fürstenau). I also looked in the Philby Passenger and Immigration books and only found Anton listed. In the early period of up to the mid-1800's these are the only two people that came to this country with names similar to mine - at least based on those two resources.

There were not any Strawderman or other spellings of the name listed in either of those records. The closest is Stadermann. I have checked the Germany telephone book on CD and had people in Germany do other looking and no one has come up with any Strawderman in Germany. The closest is Stadermann.

From the Hessian list, I have learned that many many boys of that era were named Johann after John the Baptist. Because so many were named after this manner, it was common for them to go by their middle name. In light of this, Anton looks like a very good candidate to be my John Anthony Strawderman.

I have been told that there was an inscription on the tombstone of one of John Anthony's children's that said he was the son of John Anthony from Hesse and that his wife's name was Catharine or Kate. I have not been able to verify that. Fürstenau is extremely close to Hesse and it could well be that people from there considered themselves to be Hessians - that is what I was told by a Hessian genealogist. Mittelsinn is not in or near Hesse. This makes Anton a stronger candidate as well. Anton was Catholic.

Anyway, another lady brn abt 1762 by the name of Christine Disponet was married to a Strawderman. The only Strawderman which I have found in that time frame is John Anthony S-. Of course, Christine could have married a younger man. The next oldest Strawderman I am aware of is John Anthony's son - Adam - brn 1782.

I could sure use some assistance. In particular I am looking for marriage information pertaining to John Anthony S- and information pertaining to what happened to Johann Stadermann since I cannot find any trace of him after the revolutionary war. Both of these men left the British and fought for the colonial forces.

I am also looking for more information on Catherine (Kate) and Christine Disponet - who was born in Shenandoah County - as far as I can tell.

Lastly, my 3rd great grandfather - John Strawderman - married Sally Roberts in 1815. I would appreciate help concerning her ancestors.

My address is P.O. Box 412, Eureka, Missouri 63025. My e-mail is ravenscove@aol.com

Dennis Strawderman
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dennis L. Strawderman 3 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Laura Mathias Stapleton 1 Jan 2002 3:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.