Search for content in message boards

Cox family in Horry County SC

Replies: 4

Re: Cox family in Horry County SC

Posted: 30 Aug 2003 9:12PM GMT
I have recently begun to search for the parents of my great g'father, William Fletcher Cox, born Nov. 4, 1862 in Cherry Grove Beach?, Horry County, SC. We think he was the youngest of 4 children, 2 of whom were older. His parents died while he was young. I have considered that his father died in the civil war, and I have found evidence of a William Fletcher Cox from Horry Co. who was born in 1834 and died in 1862 in Mississippi during a civil war battle. I do not know how or when my ggfather's mother died.

My W.F. Cox had a sister who was ~ 10 yrears old when she overheard the older two siblings (one of whom was an older sister who raised the younger 2 children) talking about how the older 2 were going to abscond with their inheritance (which was supposedly considerble). Any way, the next thing we know of him is in 1786 in Tattnall County, GA where he married my g'father's mother, Susan Matilda Partin. They had 14 children over about 25 years, and lived in several places in GA, then in Alabama, and finally in Alachua County, FLA. He was killed in August, 1914, near High Springs, FL (in Alachua Co.) by his daughter (in self defense). He was 6 feet 11 inches tall, and had a reputation that was shady, to say the least. I have an extensive genealogy of his descendants and his wife's family, mostly researched through personal information from family members, cemetary records, county records, etc, by my aunt, Catha Sue Cox Kessler. Her father was William Eivie Cox, W.F. Cox's son, (my g'father) who was born in Tattnall Co., GA, then after marrying moved to Savannah where he raised his family. It seems that most of his children didn't want to know anything about his family, and my g'father said that he was such a mean man that he never even wanted to know his g'parent's names. So we have hit a brick wall in our search.

If you have anything to help us in our search, please email me or call at 770-471-1613.
My name is Catha "Sue" Spell Sapp and I live in Jonesboro, GA.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Catha S. Sapp
9275 Betony Wood Trail
Jonesboro, GA 30236
greenspell@aol.com
770-471-1613
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KASCUS 19 Aug 2002 9:24PM GMT 
CathaSSapp 31 Aug 2003 3:12AM GMT 
CathaSSapp 31 Aug 2003 3:16AM GMT 
KASCUS 1 Sep 2003 4:04AM GMT 
KASCUS 1 Sep 2003 4:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.