Search for content in message boards

William Gowin & Anester ? are not related to John Gowen & Mary Keife

Replies: 0

William Gowin & Anester ? are not related to John Gowen & Mary Keife

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 7:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm posting this because many researchers are quick to attach my GOWIN ancestors with the GOWEN/GOINS family that at one time resided in the same large county of Lunenburg in Virginia.

William Gowin/Going that was married to Anester is not the son of John Gowen & Mary Keife. This has been confirmed through Y-DNA analysis. Many confirmed descendants of both lines participated in Y-DNA research with differing results. Most of us who performed diligent research through proper documentation never suspected they were related, but the Y-DNA results confirmed it.

The descendants of John Gowen that married Mary Keife are of Y-DNA Haplogroup E1b. This haplogroup is believed to have originated in Africa. One particular subclade from this Haplogroup are also the most common lineage among African Americans.

The descendants of William Gowin/Gowin that married Anester ? are of Y-DNA Haplogroup I2b1a1. This Haplogroup and further confirmed subclade (M223+, M284+, L126+, L137+) of this family descendants is indigenous to the British Isles for thousands of years with further pinpoint of SW Scotland.

This information has been provided to ensure proper ancestry of these two families are documented correctly.

I hope this helps in your research.

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.