Search for content in message boards

Hay Family - regarding Turnbull relatives

Replies: 3

Hay Family - regarding Turnbull relatives

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 12:57PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Turnbull, Hay, Greey, Edgar.
This is further information about the two sons of James Turnbull and Elizabeth Hay: Robert Hay Turnbull and Alan (Mike)Turnbull as listed on the family grave stone.

The information below comes from the Archives Canada Upper Canada College as well as the Bank of Hamilton, and the book held by the 48th Highlanders at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church and the Cemetery offices at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto. It has also been take from the military files for the first World War 1914/1918 Attestation Papers, and can be checked by anybody.

Lieut, Robert Hay Turnbull, Sone of James Turnbull and Elizabeth Hay, Bank Manager of the Bank of Hamilton. Private tuition Upper Canada College. Age 12 - 16 Boarder, Presbuterian, 45 Chestnut Park Road, Toronto, Financial Broker, Lieut., 19th Battalion 2nd CGET. wounded at St. Eloi April 2, 1916. He suffered from shell shock and apparently both arms and some ribs were broken, (Note: St. Eloi was known for major and dangerous craters which often fell in on soldiers. He was relieved of duty due to shell shock. He died by his own hand (pistol) in Toronto Septem 1933 at 45 Chestnut Park, Toronto. (See Mount Pleasant Cemetery Records He said it was so his Greey nieces could inherit. Their Mother was his sister, Constance Greey, - see tombstone Mount Pleasant Their grandfather James Turnbull did not include them in the will because they inherited from their Father...Greey. Mother Constance Turnbull Greey also died early in 1926.

Major Alan Turnbull,
Son of James Turnbull and Elizabeth Hay, Manager Bank of Hamilton, Home: 45 Chestnut Park Road Toronto,
Mechanical Engineer
Education: Upper Canada College
Prize List: 1904 Form 2A, History and Geography and Classics, Alan Turnbull
McGill University, Alan Turnbull Mechanical Engineer
He also played Rugby for McGill
Joined the Army in 1915 - Canadian Expeditionary Force
Alan Turnbull Lieut. 35 Battn. 34d. CEF Captain 1916 - Then Major -
48th Highlanders Military Cross November 16, 1916 wounded, wounded November 1917, Wounded August 1918. Returned to Canada May 1919.
His name is mentioned in the book about the 48th Highlanders which is held in the St. Andrews Presbyterian Church: Pages 147, 170, 182/3, 127, 224, and 6, 234/5, 255/67/8, 276/277, 8 and 9, 308 331/22, 323/4. He served at many of the worst battles in the first world war, Ypres, Paschendale, etc. When he was wounded for the last time in August 1918, they had no one who could carry him to first aid station, but the Germans were surrendering in quantity, "so he was given a pistol for the German prisoners who would carry him, and a bottle of Scotch for the pain."

Died on the operating table probably from the gas at Ypres (twice,) on June 25, 1933. He married Margaret Jardine Edgar (Madge) in June of 1930. (Somewhere I have the exact date if you need it.

Please note that both men listed James and Elizabeth as their parents and the same address.

It is noted in his file that Mrs. J.B. Kay, Goring Hotel, Grosvenor Gardens, London S.W. or John B. Kay, 52 Wanastay (sp.?) Gardens. High St. Kensington W. were to be notified. He went to them on times that he had leave.

He married in June 1930 and died June 25 in 1933.

His widdow Madgee Edgar (noted on tombstone) gave the child born to them to her brother and his wife and took off for points around the world with her new found wealth. The agreement with the foster parents was they would receive quarterly sums of money for their expenses and that nobody should know the child was not theirs. They managed this. I was always taller than everyone else in the class and puberty came early! It is thought that the monies had been left to the child in trust, but Madge broke this. Her friends were angry at her.

In 195054 I was working for the Thompson Newspaper chain when Madge/Lynn's best friend Helen Sparling made an appointment to see me at the Richardson Stock Brokerage house. She seemed to think I had money to place. I had to disabuse her of that notion.

When Madge/Lynn returned to Toronto in the late '50's nobody would entertain her - memories are long. She moved to Vancouver. She clothed the child including winter clothes and shoes, except during the years after, 1941-1948 of the war and immediately following. She escaped in 1942 but went to Africa with her husband to Johannesburg after the war. Please see new note below. Her brother's wife found another woman's child not to her liking -

Madge Lynn sent me to Europe on my 21st birthday for two months and also sent my son to europe when he was 21. She didn't do it for any other family - althoguh the agreement said she was supposed to treat any children her brother and his wife had were to be treated equally.

I simply feel that anyone as brave as Alan (Mike) Turnbull
should not be cut out of his rightful place in the family. He is someone to be proud of and he suffered enough and as a veteran of that dreadful war which eventually killed him he should be honoured.

Bagnall, Sir John and Lady Bagnall

Chmn and Mng. Dir, Straits Trading Co., Ltd., b. May 2nd 1888, Liverpool, England, m. Lynn, widow of Alan Turnbull of Montreal, (when Turnbull died they were living in Toronto,) Nov. 17, 1934. Asst. Straits Trading Co., Ltd. 1912=23 Chmn and Mng. Dir, since 1923 Straits Steamship Co., Ltd. Aleandra Brickworks Ltd., Senior Un-official Mem, Legislative Cl, since 19266 and Unofficial Mem, Evec CL, Straits Settlements, 1933 Chmn, Singapore Chamber of Commerce, 1927=32, Justice of the Peace since 1923. Woodside Grange Rd. Office, Ocean Building Collyer Quay, Singapore Straits Settlements.

BAGNALL, Sir John, JP Chairman & Manageing Director Straits Trading Co. Ltd. Singapore. Evacuated 2/42 -ship sunk but he reached India then to Joburg, SA Wife Lynn evacuated on one of the last two ships out of Singapore - one sank - he did not know which one she was on. He died 19/9/54 at the age of 66 in Johannesburg.

She changed her name to Lynn when he married her - to change her bad luck she said - but possbiy not to be traced.

She returned to Canada in the fifties after he died. She was snubbed in Toronto and so moved to Victoria where she died in the 27/12/ 84 Victoria B.C.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
alanturnbull3... 1 Nov 2011 6:57PM GMT 
boris_gorelik... 10 Feb 2013 12:26PM GMT 
fo178 10 Feb 2013 10:51PM GMT 
boris_gorelik... 20 Feb 2013 7:18AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.