Search for content in message boards

David Hay m. Winnifred Pope, SC

Replies: 18

David Hay m. Winnifred Pope, SC

Posted: 9 Sep 2003 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2004 1:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hay, Pope, Jackson, Hamilton, Vawter, Teal, Pary, Bowers, Goodwyn, Strother, Allen
In looking for the ancestry of David Hay who was married to Winnifred Pope, I have collected data that I would like to share and compare with searchers of this family. I have visited several counties in Georgia but have concentrated recently on South Carolina. I live in SC and therefore it has been somewhat easy.

I find info that seems to suggest to some that David Hay is the son of William Hay. I have indeed found land deeds that connect a David Hay to William Hay as his son as well as Hardy Hay being his brother and also a son of William Hay. These land transactions occur around the Congaree River area in Craven County in the 1760's. There is one transaction that seems to give Hardy Hay the name of Howell due to the dates and the references to earlier transactions. In this area of South Carolina at this time and also involved in these transactions are the names of various Jackson persons. Also as witnesses to some of these transactions are the names of John Hamilton and Elizabeth Hamilton.

As to other Hay names in this area, there is Peter whose wife was Elizabeth and she is, after the death of Peter, in a transaction with Howell Hay, which is probably actually Hardy. In the will of Peter are the names of Bartholomew Vawter whose wife by others research was probably Ann Hay. There are land transactions at points between Vawter and Peter Hay. Mentioned in the will of Peter is also David Hay. Peter lived in the same area as William above.

There is in 1771 the will of Susannah Hay who mentions her mother as Ruth Teal and her brother as James Pary. Her husband John died earlier in the same year.

In 1784 there is the will of William Hay and he mentions sons Dorch and Hardy as well as their children. He died in Barnwell County. Also mentioned are Sarah Bowers and Uriah Goodwyn. Witnesses to his will are also the names of Goodwyn.

In 1768 I also find a land deed to a William Hay for 240 acres in Granville County. I have no idea if this could be the same William Hay. The names on this are not similar to those of the other transactions.

In 1775 I find a land deed for David Hay for 100 acres on Crane Creek and Bushy Creek. In this entry is also the name of William Strother. I do not know if this could be the same David Hay.

There are also the names of James Hay and Rebecca his wife iin 1771 in a transaction with Erasmus Allen. There is a mention in another document of Jesse Hay.

From the research I have done, I have thought that my David Hay is probably the son of a David Hay, since he named one of his sons David Willis Pope Hay and Willis Pope is the name of his wife's father. I wonder if the William could be the name of his grandfather and the J. stand for Jackson since so many Jackson's seemed to be in this area.

It is interesting that the daughter of David named Mary married John Sutton and his mother was Elizabeth Jackson who had married William Sutton in Warren County NC in 1789. William died in 1799. There is a William Sutton in the area of William Hay around 1782. I have no idea if this could be my William. Also there are records on a John Sutton and a Richard Sutton, both names that I think are in the ancestry of William and possible brothers. There is a will of a Sussanah Sutton in 1833 and apparently her husband John had died slightly before her. I do not think this is my John due to a reference to William and my William is dead at thhat date. However my William had an uncle whose name was John and he could have had a son John as well as a Richard and a William.

Interestingly, I find so many names in these groups of people that I feel there is some connection. I hope someone might be able to add more to this puzzle.

As for research in Barnwell County, I found no records prior to 1800 and the name of Hay in the courthouse is Frederick J. Hay and his ancestors. By the reseach of others it seems his dad was Ann Hawkes Hay from Barbados. The name of Arthur is in this line. A name I had tried earlier to find.

As for the Hay family in Georgia. I have definitely ruled Gilbert Hay out as the father of David. There is a mention of Gilbert Hay in South Carolina, but a single entry as a witness therefore I have no information on this Gilbert.

Please contact me if you think you can add to this information or if you feel you connect to it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BillieSmith42 10 Sep 2003 1:44AM GMT 
BillieSmith42 10 Sep 2003 2:10AM GMT 
Dan Krog 11 Sep 2003 1:48AM GMT 
BillieSmith42 11 Sep 2003 2:15AM GMT 
JANVM1030 15 Jan 2004 10:32PM GMT 
Dan 16 Jan 2004 10:57AM GMT 
Janelle Via McKown 17 Jan 2004 3:12AM GMT 
Billie Sutton Smith 17 Jan 2004 4:20AM GMT 
Dan 17 Jan 2004 10:30AM GMT 
Billie Sutton Smith 17 Jan 2004 12:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.