Search for content in message boards

John HOLDER will, Essex Co. VA 1749

Replies: 0

John HOLDER will, Essex Co. VA 1749

Maxine Hobbs (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Holder, Griffing, Boughan, Hudgen, Waring, Gilchrist, Upshaw, Pendleton, Hathaway, Miller
[Note: On 18 May 1743 a prenuptial agreement was made between Margaret Griffing, a widow, and John Holder before their marriage. It was recorded on motion of Margaret Griffing in King and Queen County VA on 20 May 1747. In July 1745 there was an estate account for Mary Griffing in which John Holder was appointed guardian for Betty Griffing. The relationship of people named in John Holder's will is confusing and the microfilm copy was difficult to read in many places.]

WILL OF JOHN HOLDER of Essex County VA dated 27 May 1749
Transcribed from LDS/FHL microfilm #0031246 - Essex County VA Mixed Probate Records, 1748-1750:

In the name of God amen. I, JOHN HOLDER, of the County of Essex....last will and Testament in manner and form following (viz): After funeral expenses....I give my daughter-in-law BETTY GRIFFING my negro girl and ---good Feather bed.

Item: I give to my daughter MARY BOUGHAN, Daughter of AUGUSTINE BOUGHAN --- my negro woman Frank shall have one --- the said MARY BOUGHAN.

Item: --- it is my will that the things I have given her should go to my daughter-in-law MARGARET GRIFFING.

Item: I lend to my Loving wife all the Residue of my estate during her natural life and after her death to my brother WILLIAM HOLDER provided he comes to this Colony within four years from the date hereof, but in case he should not come within that time or if he should die before my wife, then my will is that this part I have lent my wife should be equally divided between my two sisters MARY HUDGEN and ELIZABETH HOLDER.

Item: I constitute and appoint my loving wife - Margaret Holder and (N?) Thomas Waring Jr. Executors of this my last will and testament aforesaid, hereby revoking and disanulling all and seal this twenty-seventh day of May 1749.

(Signed) John Holder
Signed and sealed in the presence of
John Gilchrist, John Upshaw, N. Pendleton

At a court held for this County at Tappahannock on the 19th day of June anno Domine 1750 -
this last will and testament of John Holder, dec'd, was this day exhibited by Margaret Holder, Executrix, therein named to be proved the same - accordingly duly proved by the oath of the said Executrix and also by the oath of John Gilchrist and John Upshaw, two of the witnesses hereto and thereupon was --- to record and is duly recorded.

John Lee C--?
Know all men by these presents that we MARGARET HOLDER, AUGUSTINE BOUGHAN and WILLIAM HATHAWAY are held and firmly bound unto THOMAS WARING, FRANK(?) SMITH, --- ---, and SIMON MILLER (?) gentlemen justices in the commison of the --- for --- County 500 pounds money to be.... [reponsibility for full disclosure to the court and a just account of payment and delivery of all legacies].

Signed, MARGARET (her mark) HOLDER
(seal)

AUG BOUGHAN
(seal)

WILLIAM HATHAWAY
(seal)

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.