Search for content in message boards

McIntosh surname in the West Indies

Replies: 0

McIntosh surname in the West Indies

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McIntosh
Hello!

I'm researching my great-great-great grandfather, James Hamilton McIntosh (born abt. 1818). He is rumored to have been a mulatto. He was also Moravian and a teacher, and married a woman named Maria P. (born abt. 1819) who is rumored to have been either full or half-Carib indian. James went to the US Virgin Islands to teach at some of the Moravian schools there, and they had a bunch of children born in St. Croix, at least one of which (my great-great grandmother Eliza McIntosh) returned at some point to go to school in Antigua. A census record I found for Maria P noted that she arrived in St. Croix in 1840.

Is anyone related to any McIntosh's in Antigua? I am assuming both James and Maria were born in Antigua because their records in St. Croix list their birth places as Antigua. Perhaps James' family was not originally from Antigua and he was just there to train at this Moravian Teacher's College at Golden Grove?

Is anyone related to McIntosh's elsewhere in the Caribbean/West Indies? I have come up short so far finding any research about very McIntosh's in the islands - I've read some messages from people inquiring about some in Jamaica. It doesn't seem like it's a very common surname in the region.

Thanks in advance!
-Ashley

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.