Search for content in message boards

seeking info re: Noyes in the Civil War

Replies: 44

Re: seeking info re: Noyes in the Civil War

Posted: 31 Oct 2002 12:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Dec 2002 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Noyes
What a rich history! Since our last post I've been trying to locate a Civil War Poster I'd previously found seeking soldiers. According to the poster, they only enlisted men who won competitions for the best shots. I had printed out the poster for my boys to take to school & I'd thought I'd saved it, but apparently not.

Yes our line came to Maine through Bela Noyes, a Revolutionary War Soldier. He was one of the first settlers of Norway, ME in. (Called Rustfield at time.) Several of the original settlers fought together in the Revolution. His brother John Noyes, also a Revolutionary War Soldier, settled there shortly afterwards.

I see your Thomas married Susan Young. Could she be in the Nathaniel Young Jr. line? Below is a quote from the Noyes Family booklet I have:

"There were a number of Noyeses in this army of emigrating patriots who came into what is now Maine. John Noyes, a brother of Bela Noyes, also a soldier in the Revolution, either came with Bela Noyes or settled here shortly afterwards. Nathaniel Young, Jr., whose family plays an important part in this story of Bela Noyes, was already living in Maine, his father having settled in Gray before the war. Doubtless the Youngs and Noyeses were acquainted before Bela Noyes came to Maine, since both Bela Noyes and Nathaniel Young, Jr., were at Valley Forge during that trying winter of hunger and privation. Subsequent events seem to indicate that they were very well acquainted, for when sons of Bela Noyes - Levi and John Noyes -- reached a man's estate, they both sought wives among the fair daughters of Nathaniel Young."

My husband's ancestor married Mary Young b. in Norway Me 1804

Several of Bela's descendents in the Warren Albert Noyes line (b. 1862, Topsfield) still meet in ME every July for family reunions
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ClanFerret 2 Sep 2002 3:39AM GMT 
Carol Piers 2 Sep 2002 1:15PM GMT 
Granholm_Kimb... 31 Oct 2002 12:32AM GMT 
ClanFerret 31 Oct 2002 12:54PM GMT 
Granholm_Kimb... 31 Oct 2002 5:49PM GMT 
ClanFerret 31 Oct 2002 7:30PM GMT 
Granholm_Kimb... 31 Oct 2002 8:09PM GMT 
ClanFerret 31 Oct 2002 9:03PM GMT 
Granholm_Kimb... 31 Oct 2002 11:38PM GMT 
playwthpen1 4 Dec 2002 7:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.