Search for content in message boards

Etheldred Revelle

Replies: 2

Etheldred Revelle

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Deed
Surnames: Revel, Revell, Revelle, Revil, Revill, Reville, Reavel
Hello Everyone. I just wanted to let ya'll know that "Etheldred the Unfindable" has been found! I have much much more data

on the family now. Here's what happened:
Knowing that Etheldred's children were born in TN (as per census info), I searched through documents on the web that were

associated with Tennessee in the 1790s. I found that an "Ethelred and Isaac Ravel," had been ordered to "lay out" a road in

July of 1799. (Now, I had been to Nashville last year, but was only able to stop for a couple hours. I found nothing.)

So, I planned a 5-day trip there & spent most of my time in the State Archives. Nashville area has a lot of genealogy

resources, so much so that you can't see everything in one week's time. The State Archives are well organized & staffed

with friendly people who take pride in their services to the public. They also have a lot of out-of-state and 'other

county' resources. For example, I found more stuff on North Carolina there than I did in Raliegh NC when I visited that

state last year.
Anyway, I found that Elijah, James, and John Revell had all been granted land in Davidson County (Nashville) for being NC

Continental Line soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Micajah and Isham Revell had also owned land there (Isham in Rutherford

Co., adjacent to Davidson), but obtained it through indentures. Elijah's land was granted to his "heirs" in 1785, so this

Elijah can't be confused with the one who died in 1807 in NC. I still haven't found out who the "heirs" were, but will be

looking. Micajah's land was north of the Cumberland River on Sycamore Creek, a little northwest of Nashville. The road

that Isaac & Etheldred had been ordered to "lay out" was to come south from Sycamore Creek toward "Nashboro," as it was

called at that time. This makes the argument stronger in favor of Micajah being Etheldred's father, with whom he probably

lived at the time, although he was married. The way I see it, Isaac, Micajah Jr., and Etheldred were sons of Micajah Sr.

James and John could've been older brothers to Etheldred, as well as Robert M. I don't think they were uncles because, if

Micajah Sr.'s father was Edmund, it appears that he only had two sons. He sold land to Elijah & Micajah in 1765 & 1766 in

Edgecombe, NC. (Ref: "Abstracts of Edgecombe County, North Carolina, 1759-1772.")
In addition, I'm not totally sure that the Edmund of Dobbs County was the same one as the one in Robeson NC. Most likely,

it is, but there's a lot of stuff I need to organize yet to be sure. There are two Edmunds in NC in the 1790 census, one in

Wayne and one in Nash County NC.

Well, I hope you all find this informative; I have copied all the documents on the land transactions, court records, etc.,

and hope to assimilate the info as soon as possible.

Cindi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cynthus 11 Jun 2004 3:18AM GMT 
Kathryn Schultz 25 Oct 2004 11:41PM GMT 
Lynne Leflore 31 Mar 2006 7:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.