Search for content in message boards

James P. Rhea/Rea Born PA Settled in San Juan Capistrano, CA

Replies: 0

James P. Rhea/Rea Born PA Settled in San Juan Capistrano, CA

Charles Beal (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2005 1:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking to find out the Civil War unit that James P. Rea served with during the Civil War.

James was born March 3, 1849 at PA per his death certificate. This is no mention of his parents name or City of his birth on the death certificate.

James died on April 23, 1921 at San Juan Capistrano, CA. He is buried at Mission Cemetery in San Juan Capistrano.

James married Custodia Manriquez about October 30, 1880 at Mission San Juan Capistrano, CA.

James was a resident of CA for 45 years at the time of death.

I'm assuming that because he was born in PA that he fought with a PA Regiment during the war. He is listed on a plaque in the cemetery as serving in the Civil War. We are seeking out his unit to add to our list of Civil War Veterans buried in Orange County, CA. Having a 1849 date of birth was pretty young, but he could have served.

Here is another piece of interesting information on Jame Rea that was provided to me and some more clues from his possible whereabouts in PA:

Los Angeles Times, (CA) July 18, 1882:

INFORMATION WANTED
News of Wandering Men
Wanted by Their Friends.
Chambersburg, Pa., July 7, 1882.

Mr. Postmaster -- Dear Sir: -- Will you please be kind enough to find out if there is in your town a man by the name of James P. Rea. His mother is a poor widow, and noticed in the Philadelphia Record some time again that there was a Mr. Rea killed by the Indians in Arizona. She is very anxious to hear from him. You will great oblige her by answering this soon.

Respectfully,
Mrs. Elizaebeth Rea.

Cities of San Juan Capistrano and Santa Ana are located just South of Los Angeles. Orange County broke away from Los Angeles County in 1889 to become a new County.

Thank you,
Charles Beal
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW)
Generals Sedgwick-Granger Camp #17
Santa Ana, California

Orange County Blue and Gray Project

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.