Search for content in message boards

mary stace gander

Replies: 15

Re: Mary Stace Gander - Stacy Ancestry

Posted: 11 Jun 2002 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2006 6:37PM GMT
Pat: I was very interested in the various messages concerning George Stacy's in Montreal. Actually, there were not very many Stacy's in Montreal in the second half of the 19th. century and I am related to many of them. I am especially interested in the name George and Stillman since they occur in my family as well. However mine came from yhe U.S. with roots back to the Mayflower. How sure are you that yours came to Canada from England? Here's the story about mine as I have researched it ( I live in Salt Lake City ). My ggg grandfather George Stacy was born in Vermont in 1795. He married Mary Hutchinson and had a son George around 1820. He then removed to Montreal where he established a succesful nail manufacturing business that was in the family for at least 3 generations.Mary died in Montreal in 1840 at an early age. George Jr. at some time moved back to Burlington Vermont where he became a printer, probably at the "Burlington Free Press", where his uncle Henry B. Stacy was owmer and editor. In 1844 he married Sarah Melvena Allen in Vermont. They had 5 children- Henry, Stillman, Ethan Allen(my g grandfather), Charles and Imogene. Stillman and Henry died as children in the 1850's. Sarah died in 1859. The children then stayed with the Henry B. Stacy family on their farm while their father stayed in town to be near work. In 1862 Henry B. was appointed US Consul to Russia and at that time George Jr. took his 3 surviving children to Montreal where he joined his Father's business. George Sr. died in 1864 and George Jr. in 1887. I don't know if they ever married again after the death of their wives but hope to get some information from tombstones, etc. Ethan Allen Stacy married a Mary Anne Wells( from Ontario ). His son Henry married Maggie McRae, also from Ontario and they had 6 children including my mother. When they were very young my grandmother took the children to Toronto (Henry had a serious drinking problem ). I was born and raised in Toronto. As I said the similarities in your family and mine seem to be more than coincidence. Let me know if you are absolutely sure that your family came from England. Thanks....Kerry Montgomery.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Stacey 1 Nov 2001 9:35PM GMT 
Mullinix92019 12 Jun 2002 2:56AM GMT 
Robert Stacey 12 Jun 2002 4:29AM GMT 
MichaelVaughn... 19 Feb 2012 8:42AM GMT 
Pat Garoutte 2 Apr 2002 5:25AM GMT 
kerry_montgom... 12 Jun 2002 1:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.