Ths is John J Sly from East Aurora, NY working on my genealogy hobby. I am trying ( for manymany years) to tie in a Philina Titus 1806-1856 as a daughter of a
Zebulon Titus 1779-1832?, the son of a Mchael Titus 1746 - 1827 from Vershire, Orange,Vt. Could you reveiw my notes on this Zebulon Titus ( not the one from Long Island) and give me corrections and additons ?
My gencom file can be found on Rootsweb, worldconnect - Robert Sly decendances 1769-1853
and Early Sly's 1650 -1850.
1778 - Zebulon Titus born - Son of Michael Titus II (1746-1827)
On 1830 federal census as head of household. Seven in household (Phelina, Daughter?
already married to John Sly)
On 1820 federal census , town of hope, hamilton county, NY
On 1810 federal census, Vershire, Orange, Vermont , there is also a joseph Titus on same
1820's - Both the Zebulon Titus and Robert Sly families lived in the Town of Hope,
Montogomery County, NY in the late 1700's -early 1800's. Philena Titus( b 1806 VT ? d 10
Oct 1856, Hamburg, NY) married John Sly ( b 24 Mar 1804, Town of Hope, Montgomery County
- now Hamilton County NY, d 27 Dec 1886, Hamburg,NY) ca 1826 in the Town of Hope.
1823 -Montgomery County Courthouse on Nov 25, 2001, found court record for Zebulon Titus
as an Insolvent Debtor - August , 1823. He owed many people small sums of money and a
large sum to Michael Titus of Town of Vershire, County of Orange, State of Vermont. ( a
possible relative ?)Box 684 Doc 11739
1831 - Both Zebulon Titus and Israel Sly sign articlea of agreement to purchase land in
Western New York T9,R8, Lot33 Zebulon Titus ; T9.R8, Lot 27 7Israel Sly
1832 - Zebulon Titus dies in Vershire, Orange Vermont ?
1831 - The John Sly Family moved from Hope NY to Western New York in 1831 where 2nd son,
Zebulon Sly was born (b.15 July, 1834 d 12 Mar 1929, East Aurora, NY) . Philena Titus may
be a daughter of Zebulon Titus who is listed in the Town of Hope on the Montogomery
County Census of 1820.. In a newspaper article in 1929, Zebulon Sly mentions riding with
Daniel Titus ( a possible relative ?) in the early 1800's in Hamburg NY.
There are at least two Zebulon Titus living in this time frame (late 1700's - early
1800's) but to date no mention of a daughter Philena ? The Zebulon titus from Long
Island is not this line. JJS 1/2013.
These are children of Michael Titus:Marriage 1 Susannah Wood b: 9 Apr 1751 in Upton,
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
Married: 14 Jul 1769 in Douglas, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
1. Silas Titus b: 4 Mar 1770 in Douglas, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
2. BEVERLY TITUS b: 4 Mar 1770 in Douglas, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
3. NATHAN TITUS b: 4 May 1772 in Douglas, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
4. Beverly Titus b: 4 Jul 1774 in Douglas, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5. Daniel Titus b: 12 Jan 1777
6. Zebulon Titus b: 17 Feb 1779
7. Clarissa Titus b: 12 Jan 1781
8. Prescilla Titus b: 7 Sep 1782 in Wythe, Virginia, United States
9. Michael Titus b: 17 Jan 1785
10. Susannah Titus b: 7 Jul 1785
11. Rhoda Titus b: 17 May 1789
12. Mary Titus b: 2 Aug 1791
From Hermanson/Daggett - Richardson/Patten, Rootsweb, world connect. and Ancestory.com
From Carpenter family tree