Search for content in message boards

Looking for cherokee background

Replies: 9

Re: Looking for cherokee background

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watts, Wood, Lowery, King, Barrett, Bills, Wiley
I posted a lenghty reply on Thomas Daniels query. I gave him a list of resources, mostly historical, that you might find valuable also. Surely he won't mind if you read it. Re: John Watts the son of Trader John Watts and his Cherokee wife. If you are researching on the internet, don't be confused by the many Malachi Watts you might find. Old Malachi was born in 1750/51 and died in 1804. He had several children including a son named Garrett who had a son nemed Malachi born about 1793. Trader John was white born either in Scotland or Virginia so his children were 1/2 bloods and grandchildren 1/4 bloods. The belief and custom of Cherokees of that time was if you had one drop of Cherokee that made you a Cherokee. Many whites who married Cherokee lived with the tribe and their children were raised as Indians with no predjudice. The John Watts who was brother to Old Malachi became a Cherokee war Chief. He was the only one of MalaCHI'S children who accepted the Cherokee way of life and lived his life as an Indian. I am descended from a mixture of Cherokee and Choctah and various Caucasian strains and don't consider myself and Indian. I guess I could register myself as Cherokee if I wanted to. Never considered doing that until now. Here is the line from Malachi to me.
John "the trader" Watts married Kay Yan Tahee a daughter of Chief Attakullakulla. One of their sons was
Malachi Watts who married Jemima Lowery and had daughter
Jemima Watts. She married Joseph Wood a Choctah. Had daughter Jemima Wood who married John King. They had son named William King who married Rebecca Ann Wiley. They had a son also called William who married Henrietta Barrett. Their son Clyde King married Johnnie Bills. I am their 5th and last child, Lois King
Lois King (me)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Thomas Daniels 19 Aug 2004 7:29PM GMT 
loiiskking111 23 Aug 2004 10:04AM GMT 
Denise Slattery 2 Nov 2004 6:26PM GMT 
Lois King 2 Nov 2004 9:25PM GMT 
renee Perkins 22 Jan 2005 3:45PM GMT 
tmrndaniels 22 Jun 2010 3:13PM GMT 
loiskking 24 Jun 2010 5:49AM GMT 
PreshaMerritt 16 Dec 2013 12:02AM GMT 
loiskking 24 Jun 2010 4:38AM GMT 
Kenneth Outla... 4 Apr 2014 10:46AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.