Search for content in message boards

James Whitaker - MD/NC

Replies: 58

Re: Whitakers

Kathy Van Leeuwen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 2:27AM GMT
Hi Pam,

At first I didn't think I could help you - there were LOTS of Whitakers in Kentucky at this time, and your description didn't seem to help much. I looked in my family tree records though and found a James O. Whitaker, b. 1806, with a son George, b. 1848. I'll paste the info I have below. This isn't my line, so I haven't researched most of this myself:

Ancestors of George Whitaker

Generation No. 1

1. George Whitaker, born 1848. He was the son of 2. James O. Whitaker and 3. Lurana Fletcher. He married (1) Susannah Puckett.

Generation No. 2

2. James O. Whitaker, born 1806 in Russell Co., VA. He was the son of 4. Mark M. Whitaker and 5. Martha Harvey?. He married 3. Lurana Fletcher January 08, 1829 in Floyd Co., KY.
3. Lurana Fletcher.

Children of James Whitaker and Lurana Fletcher are:
i. William C. Whitaker, born 1830 in Puncheon Creek, Floyd Co., Ky; married Jincy Arnett January 30, 1851 in Floyd Co., KY.
ii. Francis M. Whitaker, born 1831; married Clarinda Brown.
iii. Martin Whitaker, born 1832.
iv. Thomas W. Whitaker, born 1839; married Louisa Puckett December 25, 1868.
v. Matilda Whitaker, born 1835.
vi. Johnson Whitaker, born 1845.
1 vii. George Whitaker, born 1848; married Susannah Puckett.

Generation No. 3

4. Mark M. Whitaker, born Abt. 1760 in Surry Co., NC; died Abt. 1814 in Castle's Wood, Russell Co., VA. He was the son of 8. Thomas Whitaker and 9. Mary Wilson?. He married 5. Martha Harvey?.
5. Martha Harvey?.

Notes for Mark M. Whitaker:
This Mark was a well-known Methodist minister and circuit rider on the Western frontier (Holston district) of VA/NC/KY in the late 1700s for Bishop Francis Asbury. He is mentioned in early texts about this period. According to Rosemary Colvin who keeps a website on this family, he moved from Surry Co. NC to Washington Co. TN (Asbury visited him there and recorded it in his diary), and then to Russell Co. VA (Castle's Wood) in 1800. His children migrated to Eastern KY about 1824. His first son Francis A. was born in TN in 1796. Other children according to land deeds are Susannah 1 Jan, 1800, Johnson 1802, James O. 1806, Matilda, Mary. Other sources indicate a son named Mark who died in 1833 ,prior to the land deeds. Other children possibly are Nancy, Harvey and William. (Rosemary notes: I am still trying to determine for certain whether Nancy, Harvey and William are siblings of Johnson's-I think there might be some error here.) (Ref: Rosemary's website, www.adnc.com/web/whit0169)

***KVL note - Have also seen birth date of 1746 for this Mark.
----------------------------------------

DOCUMENTS RELATED TO MARK WHITAKER, SON OF THOMAS

Hardy Holeman's uncle William Holeman witnessed this Mark Whitaker's sell of land in Surry Co. 1796 (he was apparently disposing of his father's estate after he mother's death). Hardy Holeman was John PegLeg Whitaker's son-in-law, husband of John's stepdaughter Elizabeth Wilson. Elizabeth Wilson's parents were Joseph Wilson and Martha Willcockson, who married John PegLeg after Joseph's death. Since this Mark's mother Mary is supposed to have been a Wilson, it seems possible that she was related to Joseph.

---------------------------------------------

From Michael Whitaker on the Whitaker Genealogy Forum:

I know from talking to my dad's late siblings that the Mark Whitaker who was the circuit rider was my ggggrandfather. I have the same lineage that you have listed, but so many variations of this Whitaker line have been published that I've given up the fight. Of Mark Whitaker my aunt Ann said "Grandpa said that Great-Grandpa always rode a mule and could also play hymns." What instrument I don't know.

-----------------------------------------------

The following article was taken from "The Journal of the Magoffin County Historical Society."
Volume 12, Summer 1990, No. 2

SOME NOTES ON THE WHITAKER FAMILY

By C. E. Shepard.

It appears that the Whitaker Families of the Floyd - Magoffin areas of eastern Kentucky are descended from Mark M. Whitaker who died in Russell County, Virginia prior to February 1815.

Russell County Court Orders show that, at the May1803 term of the Court, Mark M. Whitaker presented papers to show his ordination into the Ministry. He was granted the right to perform the rites of marriage ceremony in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and he posted bond as required by law. He must have moved to Russell County during the tax year 1802-1803, because he is not on the 1802 or prior personal tax list of Russell County.

Mark Whitaker purchased 100 acres of land on the south side of the Clinch River in Russell County, VA in October 1805 from William and Nancy Tabor. This land was part of a tract of land granted to James Fraley by patent dated 3 April 1779.

Mark Whitaker apparently died prior to February 1815, because his 100 acres is listed as "the estate of Mark Whitaker" on the Federal tax list of land for Russell County, VA for 1815. The index of Russell County Court Orders of this period do not show an entry concerning the estate of this Mark Whitaker.

The County Court recommended on 3 December 1816 to the Governor of Virginia that Francis Whitaker be appointed to the position of Cornet in the Troop of Cavalry of Russell County to replace James Caldwell who resigned. Cornet is the officer who carries the colors.

The 1820 census of Russell County lists only Martha Whitaker. In her household are: 1 male under 16 years of age; 1 male 16 years of age and under 26 years of age; 1 female under 16 years of age; and one female over 45 years of age.

The 1830 census of Russell County lists only Mark R. Whitaker. He is between 20 and 30 years of age. His wife is between 20 and 30 years of age. They have one son under the age of 5 years. No Whitakers are listed in the 1840 Russell County census. No Whitakers are listed in my type written copy of the 1850 census of Russell County, VA.

Mark R. Whitaker posted a performance bond as Constable in Russell County, VA 2 July 1833. He died in 1833. Appraisers were appointed to appraise his estate at the October 1833 term of the Russell County Court. The appraisal and sale bills were returned to the Court and recorded in 1836. Robert W. Smith was appointed administrator of Mark R. Whitaker's estate.

There was a Moses Whitaker in Russell County, VA in January 1846. He was appointed guardian to John Litton, son of Solomon Litton, deceased.

In November 1853 William P. Whitaker of the State of Illinois purchased from Mary Smith of Scott County, VA all her interest in the land of her father in Russell County, VA.

In a deed of the same date, 3 November 1853, William H. Smith of the State of Illinois, attorney for William P. Whitaker of the State of Illinois, conveyed to George Gose of Russell County, VA 25 acres of land on the south side of the Clinch River, being the interest of two rights in 100 acres left to the heirs of Mark Whitaker, Sr., deceased. This indicates, if correct, that at that time there were at least eight living heirs of Mark M. Whitaker, Sr.

A deed dated 24 November 1854 from Frances A. Whitaker, Johnston Whitaker, James O. Whitaker, Morgan Puckett and Susan, his wife, and James Mays and Metildy, his wife, all of Floyd County, KY to George Gose of Russell County, VA land on the south side of the Clinch River in Russell County, VA containing 68 acres, being their respective parts in a tract of land that their father, Mark Whitaker, Sr., deceased, possessed at the time of his death. This deed was signed by Frances A. Whitaker, James O. Whitaker and Johnston Whitaker. It was not signed by Morgan and Susan Puckett or James and Metildy Mays. Nor were there dowry releases for the wives of the three sons. This deed does not stipulate the number of shares intended to be conveyed. If one were to assume that the number to be conveyed is five shares, the per share acreage is 13.6. Based on this assumption, the number of shares were 7.35 because the whole estate contained 100 acres. We can only assume that the number of acres is not correct. And was probably copied wrong at the time of recording.

Only the second of these three deeds reveals the number of living heirs of Mark Whitaker, Sr. In specifying that 25 acres represented two shares in the estate, this deed shows that there were eight heirs to the estate. The number of acres in the third deed confuses the issue. If we assume that this deed represented five shares of eight, the acreage should be sixty two and one half acres. If we assume that Mark R. Whitaker was a son of Mark M. Whitaker and that the male listed in the 1830 census was a son of Mark R. Whitaker and that this son died without issue prior to the time of this deed, then all but one of the children of Mark M. Whitaker are revealed by these records. Seven are named in the deeds.

Martha, widow of Mark M. Whitaker, moved to Floyd County, Kentucky prior to 1840.

There are many questions left unanswered by these records. At first glance, one would assume that: 1. Mark M. Whitaker who died about 1814-1815 left a widow and nine children, 2. That Mark R. Whitaker, Jr. died in 1833 leaving no legal heirs, and 3. That the amount of land to be conveyed in the one deed is in error and not sixty eight acres. Based on these assupmtions then, a trial list of the children of Mark M. Whitaker would be as follows:

1. Frances A. Whitaker
2. Johnson Whitaker
3. James O. Whitaker
4. William P. Whitaker of Illinois
5. Mary Whitaker, married__________Smith and a widow by 1853 and resident of Scott County, Virginia. She may have been the wife of Robert W. Smith, which could account for the fact that he was appointed as one of the administrators of the estate of Mark R. Whitaker, called Mark Whitaker, Jr.
6. Mark R. Whitaker, deceased prior to October 1833 without heirs, leaving eight brothers and sisters to divide his father's estate.
7. Susan Whitaker, married Morgan Puckett in 1822
8. Matilda Whitaker, married James Mays
9. Another daughter, probably the wife of George Gose, since there is no deed in the index to show how he acquired the other one eighth share of the land, if indeed he did acquire it. A check to determine how he or his estate disposed of this land might answer this question.

One must bear in mind that errors occur in indexes so that they quite often do not cover everything in the record. Oftimes deeds did not get recorded even if they were presented to the proper officials. Loose files in clerks offices sometimes contain these unrecorded records. For one who wishes to clear up some of these questions, there are searches which can be done. Russell County Tax List both real and personal are available at the Virginia State Archives. These cover the time period from the formation of the county through at least 1840 and probably much later. A page to page check of the Russell County Court records might reveal information not listed in the index. A complete abstract of the deeds of George Gose as a grantor could reveal whether or not his wife was a daughter of Mark M. Whitaker.

Because of these deeds listed above, We can say with no doubt that seven of the children of Mark M. Whitaker, Sr. were: 1. Francis A. Whitaker. 2. James O. Whitaker. 3. Johnston Whitaker. 4. William P. Whitaker. 5. Mary Whitaker, married ______Smith. 6. Wusannah Whitaker, married Morgan Puckett. 7. Matilda Whitaker, married James Mays in 1830.

There is doubt concerning the two others previously listed. Nothing is the records found says that Mark R. Whitaker was a son of Mark M. Whitaker. Senior and junior in those days meant only the elder and the younger respectively. They were probably father and son, but they could just as well have been uncle and nephew. Tax lists might show Mark R. Whitaker as a son and that he was living on his father's estate.

My personal opinion is that the nine children listed above were the children of Mark M. Whitaker and his wife Martha.

ED NOTE: Martha Whitaker, widow of Mark M. Whitaker, was recorded in the 1840 census of Floyd Co. KY but was not listed in the 1850 census. It is presumed that she died in the interim. A descendant, Les Risner, recalls stories told by his grandparents of Martha Whitaker who was called "Patsy." She was a school teacher and was buried on the Stephen Arnett Cemetery located across the river from the old Swampton stone building school on a cemetery that was reportedly plowed up in the 1930's. Buried there also would be members of the Stephen Arnett (son of David, brother of Middle Fork Reuben Arnett) family and the Benjamin Howard - Nancy Arnett family.

--------------------------------------------------------------

SKETCHES OF WESTERN METHODISM

By Rev. James B. Finley. Edited by W.P. Strickland. D.D. R.P. Thompson, Printer, 1855

Digital Edition 08/03/96 By Holiness Data Ministry.

Page 7 Chapter 2

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF REV. WILLIAM BURKE

Page 10

The first preachers that visited that country was in the year 1783. It was then called the Holston country. The head waters of the South Fork of the Holston extended as far east as Wythe and the borders of Grayson counties, extending west as far as the Three Islands. In this tract of country the first preachers began their operations. They were Jeremiah Lamber, Henry Willis, MARK WHITAKER, Mark More, and Ruben Ellis, the elder. The district included Salisbury and Yadkin circuits in North Carolina, Holston in the west. In 1787 the Holston circuit was divided into two circuits, Holston and Notachucky and Philip Bruce appointed elder. Two new preachers were sent Jeremiah Masten and Thomas Ware -- in 1788. Two new circuits were made out of the old one. The Holston circuit embracing all the settlements on the south forks of Russell, in Virginia, and Blount county, in the Western territory. French Broad included all the settlements west and south of the main Holston to the frontiers bordering on the Cherokee nation. West New river was this year made a circuit, and Greenbriar added, which was composed of the new settlements on Greenbriar river, and part of the head waters of the James river, Edward Morris elder.

Page 11

In 1791 MARK WHITAKER was presiding elder, and Charles Hardy and John West were on the West New River circuit. Charles Hardy located this year, and the last part of the year I succeeded him. John West remained with me on the circuit till the Holston conference on the 15th of May, 1792.

Page 23

I now enter upon a new era in the history of western Methodism. I consider this the proper place to give a description of the men and means employed in the establishment and progress of Methodism in this western country, and the difficulties and hardships encountered in the work. As early as the year 1785 the first traveling preachers visited the Holston country, their names were Richard Swift and Michael Gilbert. The country at this time was new and thinly settled. They met with many privations and sufferings, and made but little progress. The most of the country through which they traveled was very mountainous and rough, and the people ignorant and uncultivated, and the greater part a frontier exposed to Indian depredations. They were followed by MARK WHITAKER and Mark Moore, who were zealous, plain, old-fashioned Methodist preachers, and calculated to make an impression. Their labors were successful, and they were instrumental in raising up many societies. MARK WHITAKER in particular was a strong man, and maintained Methodist doctrine in opposition to Calvinism, which was the prevailing doctrine of that time. He laid a good foundation for his successors, and was followed by Jeremiah Matson and Thomas Ware, and after them in succession Joseph Doddridge, Jeremiah Able, John Tunnell, John Baldwin, Charles Hardy, John McGee, and John West. Under God these men planted the standard of the cross in the frontier settlements of the French Broad, and numerous societies were raised up, so that in 1791 the societies numbered upward of one thousand.

Page 24

After the conclusion of the Indian war, in the spring of 1795, there was a great influx by immigration. Some of the traveling preachers married and settled in the country. James O'Connor settled on Watauga, MARK WHITAKER near Jonesboro, Stephen Brooks in Green county, and many others, both preachers and members, settled in different sections, and some new preachers were raised up, and the work was enlarged, new circuits were formed, and some useful and talented young men entered into the traveling connection.

(transcribed from typed pages off the Internet by Claudia D. Whitaker, June of 1999)

Notes for Martha Harvey?:
Martha may have been the daughter of John Harvey.

From Rosemary Colvin's web site (http://thorin.adnc.com/~whit0169/Descen.htm) :

No evidence of marriage between Mark and Martha has been found. Speculation is Martha may have been a Harvey. Mark's father and John Harvey owned adjoining property on Double Creek, Surry Co., NC and Mark and Martha named one of their sons Harvey.

Children of Mark Whitaker and Martha Harvey? are:
i. Johnston Whitaker, born Bet. 1792 - 1802 in Russell Co., VA; died February 14, 1871 in Magoffin Co., KY; married Susannah Howard February 27, 1824 in Floyd Co., KY.

Notes for Johnston Whitaker:
Johnson and wife Susannah Howard are the ancestors of Rosemary Colvin, who has a website on the family.
--------------------------------

From Michael Whitaker on the Whitaker Genealogy Forum:

Johnson Whitaker was born in Scott Co., VA abt. 1792. Most sources give his birthdate as 1800, but, though census records aren't very trustworthy, they seem to be pretty consistent on that point. Johnson was my gggrandfather, and I have been trying to tie him down for years. He married Susannah Howard Feb. 27, 1824 (not 1842). Susannah was the illegitimate child of Elizabeth Celia Howard, but occasionally used her mother's later married name of Arnett. I do not know who her father was. I was told many years ago by my aunt that she was Cherokee and had the Indian name "Running Water". From records I have seen, she was born about 1796. No guarantees on accuracy, but the best facts I have. I know that, from talking to my dad's late siblings that the Mark Whitaker who was the circuit rider was my ggggrandfather. I have the same lineage that you have listed, but so many variations of this Whitaker line have been published that I've given up the fight. My ggrandfather Morgan Whitaker was definitely mixed blood of some kind. He was so darkskinned that many people thought he was a black man. Of Mark Whitaker my aunt Ann said "Grandpa said that Great-Grandpa always rode a mule and could also play hymns." What instrument I don't know.

Also this from Michael:
Johnson (aka Johnston Whitaker) was my gggrandfather, and from all my searching I can tell you that there were 2 Johnson Whitakers, 1 in Butler Co. and 1 in Floyd Co., KY. Both married girls named Susan or Susannah and both used many of the same names for their offspring. The Johnson in Floyd Co., according to family sources, is the son of Mark, whose family came from MD, and who moved to Castlewood, VA. (KVL note - this Johnson of Floyd Co. could be a line from old Thomas Whitaker Sr. of MD - Thomas' son Mark the minister is supposed to have had a son named Johnson)

More info on Johnson/Susannah is at http://www.breeze.org/ft/wga47.html

ii. Francis Asbury Whitaker, born 1796 in Tennessee; married Margaret Unknown.

Notes for Francis Asbury Whitaker:
Notes on Francis' children, from Rosemary Colvin:

The children above were listed on the 1850 census except for Susannah. She was shown as the wife of Johnson "Bud" Adams on the 1860 census. Also listed in this household were Madison Kilgore, age 5; Martha Kilgore, age 3; Nancy Whitaker, age 21; and Emaline Whitaker, age 18 and Amanda, age 1. On the 1840 census two daughters were listed-one born between 1830-1835 (Susannah) and one between 1825-1830 (Margaret). Amanda was living with Mark and Nancy in the 1860 census, so she was probably their daughter. Evaline(sic) was the wife of Thomas on the 1860 census.

iii. Susanna Whitaker, born January 01, 1800 in Russell Co., VA; married Morgan Puckett June 29, 1822.
iv. Mark R. Whitaker, born Abt. 1805 in Russell Co., VA; died 1833 in Russell Co., VA; married Susan Unknown.
2 v. James O. Whitaker, born 1806 in Russell Co., VA; married Lurana Fletcher January 08, 1829 in Floyd Co., KY.
vi. Matilda Whitaker, born Abt. 1807 in Russell Co., VA; married James Mays November 26, 1830 in Floyd Co., KY.
vii. Mary Whitaker, born Bef. 1814 in Russell Co., VA; married Robert W. Smith.

Generation No. 4

8. Thomas Whitaker, born June 13, 1712 in St. George's Parish, Spesutia Hundred, Baltimore County, MD; died Abt. 1787 in Surry Co., NC. He was the son of 16. Mark Whitaker I and 17. Catherine Teague. He married 9. Mary Wilson?.
9. Mary Wilson?, born Abt. 1715 in Prince George Co., MD?; died Bef. 1795 in Surry Co., NC. She was the daughter of 18. Thomas Wilson? and 19. Priscilla Unknown?.

Notes for Thomas Whitaker:
In Baltimore County Court Procedures, Book HWS#6, p, 151 is: Thomas Whitaker, orphan aged 17, in June 1729 petioned the Court that he had left his step-mother and wanted to live with his uncle Thomas Mitchell
(note: Thomas Mitchell was the husband of Catherine Teague's sister Ann).

Elizabeth Empson/Emson, widow of Mark Whitaker married Francis Taylor 6 Oct 1729 in Baltimore County, Maryland (I.S. No. K, p. 109). A record at St. George's Parish, Maryland, June 1733, reads: "Francis Taylor is indicted for not taking care of Mark Whitaker's orphans.

Thomas Whiteacre, on Feb. 25, 1739, sold the 100 acre Westwood tract given to him by his father Mark Whitaker, to Robert West for 2500 pounds of tobacco (this was the same price that Mark paid for the land).

The land that Thomas and his brother Mark Jr. owned bordered Catoctin Creek, Frederick County, MD, and beginning in 1741, they were overseers of the road from Catoctin, MD to South Mountain.

Thomas Whitaker, son of Mark/Catherine Teague, brother of Mark/Abigail Johnson left a will in Surrey Co. NC dated March 1787. Listed were wife Mary (Wilson?) and children Mark, Margaret, Johnson, Elizabeth, Mary, Nancy and Jane. The will was witnessed by "Mark Whitaker, the older".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARYLAND WHITAKER NOTES

1733 Thomas Whitacre is on a list of taxables

1734 Thomas Whitaker had no tobacco burnt

1740 Prevention was surveyed for Thomas Wilson and Thomas Whitaker

1740 Delight surveyed for Mark Whitaker and Thomas Wilson

1742 Mark Whitaker and Thomas Whitaker petition for new parish of Episcopal Church (also Jnh Johnson, Thos. Johnston, Thomas Jones)

1744 Will of Thomas Wilson bequeathed his land Prevention to Thomas Whitaker

1745 Thomas Whitaker petitioned the Court that a certain Robert Evans has stopped the road (tumbles loggs into the road)

1750 Mark & Thomas Whitaker were overseers for the road from Shenandoah Mountain to Catoctin Mountain

19 May 1750, Thomas Whitaker of FC sells 50 A of "Prevention" for 50£ to Nicholas Fink, Mary wife of Thomas Whitacre, released dower page 20

15 May 1753 Mark Whitaker of FC sells 50 A of "The Delight" for 50£ to Andrew Bolus. Abigail, wife of Mark, released dower. Page 13

14 Feb 1756 James Whitaker recorded stray mare on Feb 17 page 86

4 Dec 1764 John Beall sells for 18£ 9 sh 9 p mulatto Jack age 21, 16 sheep & hemp to Christian Smith, Jacob Miller, Christian Miller and Valentine Whitaker, page 53

22 Jun 1757 Hugh Guttrie recorded supersedeas against John Whitaker, Charles Claget Jr. & Henry Chappel for 194.5 £ page 26

12 May 1758 James Whitaker sells to Joseph Wells 247 A part of "Resurvey on Stoney Batter" for 75 £. Prudence Whitaker released dower Page 44

7 Nov 1759 Mark Whitaker recorded stray before Peter Bainbridge page 87

11 Dec 1759 Mark Whitaker recorded stray before Peter Bambridge page 90

20 Nov 1760 William Johnson of FC sells to Mark Whitaker for 50£ 50 A of " Exchanged" standing at a little spring, a draught of Kitoctin. Elizabeth, wife of William, released dower. Page 114

13 Dec 1762 Peter Butler sells for 50£ 5 sh 53 A of part of tract "Zen" on Kitoctin Creek at mouth of valley near a road that leads to Mark Whitaker to John Cary. Mary, wife of Peter, released dower. Page 66

20 Dec 1762 Mark Whitaker recorded stray before Peter Bainbridge Page 68

17 Apr 1764 Mark Whitaker of FC sells to Conrad Moser 50 A of "Exchange" for 10 £. Abigail, wife of Mark, released dower. Page 20

15 Jul 1765 Mark Whitaker of FC sells 114 A of "Resurvey on Nutt Spring" for 225£ to Stephen Ramsburgh. Abigail, wife of mark, released dower. Page 90

8 Jun 1786 Henry Whitaker between Harper's Ferry & Shepherdstown offers reward for missing mare

and this, undated:

Whitaker Cecil County, Md. Land Records
Vol. I 1674-1810
Thomas Whitaker from Nicholas White et ux, Vol. 8, p. 107 (A Nicholas White is named in the 1764 road order through Reedy Creek NC settlement)

--------------------------------------------------------

Paul Lee Stickley posted the following at the Whitaker Genealogy Forum (http://genforum.genealogy.com/whitaker/messages/1396.html) :

Thomas Whitaker was listed in the 1733 list of "taxables" in Prince George County, MD.

Mark Whitaker, Jr., and his brother, Thomas Whitaker, owned land bordering Kittoctin Creek in Prince George County, MD.

The two brothers were listed as the overseers of the road from Catoctin to South Mountain in 1741. (When Frederick County was created in 1748 their holdings on Kittoctin Creek were in Frederick County.)
In 1743, Mark Whitaker married Abigail Johnston (Johnson).

In 1750, Thomas Whitaker sold "Goose Bill" to Nicholas & Charlotte Fink.

In 1755, Thomas Whitaker was a juror in Frederick County. In 1762, both Mark and Thomas were involved in the signing and disposition of Edward Johnson's will.

Mark Whitaker as a co-administrator of the Edward Johnson will's provisions filed an accounting in 1765.

In 1770, according to the March Court Minute Book for Frederick County, MD, Mark Whitaker, Jr., and Thomas Whitaker, served as Grand Jurors. The Frederick County, MD, paper trail fades at this point in time.

Some time after 1770, perhaps about 1762, the paper trail begins in Weaver's Creek, NC, where the paper trail will be revisited.

--------------------------------------------------

WILL OF THOMAS WHITAKER

In the name of God amen; this (none written) day of March in the year of our Lord Christ one thousand and seven hundred and eighty seven

I Thomas Whitticar of the County of Surry and State of North Carolina being in perfect mind abd memory though in weak lingering state of health and knowing that it is alotted for all men to once to die, do make and ordain this to be my last Will & Testament.

And first I recommend my soul into the hands of almighty God that gave me, and my body to be buried in a Christian like manner at the discretion of my Executors hereafter named. And as to my worldly goods wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me with I dispose of in Manner and form following.

Imprimis. I lend unto my beloved wife Mary all the land and plantation thereon, on the East side of the Creek, from *Harvey's line up to the mouth of; thence up the meanders od said **Spoons branch to my back line, meaning all the land to the East and North of said Creek and branch within my living during her natural life.

Item, I also lend to my beloved wife Mary all my stock of (illegible) and all my household furniture and all my moveable estate of what nature and kind soever during her natural life.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son Mark Whitticar all the land and plantation theron on the East side of Creek from **Harvey's line up to Spoons branch to my back line meaning all the land I now lend to my beloved wife which land & plantation he is not to take any possession of until my beloved the death of his mother, at which time he his heirs & soforth is to have possession to him & his heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to said son Mark, the one half of my stock, household furniture and moveable estate after his mother's decease to him and his heirs forever.

Item. I give and bequeath to my daughter Margaret the one half of my stock, household furniture and moveable estate to take possession thereof after her mother's decease to her & her heirs forever; mind the stock household furniture and moveable estate of what nature or kind soever there is at my wifes decease is to be equally divided between my sd. son Mark & my daughter Peggy.

Item. I give and bequeath to my son Jonathan Whitticar all the rest of my tract of land not to heretofor given my son Mark meaning all the land West & South of the Creek & Spoons branch to take full possession thereof at my decease to him and his heirs forever.

Item. As to the rest of my children namely Elizabeth, Mary, Nancy, and Jane I conceive have had as much of my estate as I am able to give them. However my will and desire is that each of them have five shillings each in money over and above what has been given them heretofore to them and their heirs forever.

Lastly I do hereby appoint my beloved wife Mary & my sons Mark and Johnson executors of this my last Will & Testament,

In witness whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal the day & date above written

his
THomas T Whitticar (seal)
mark
Signed, sealed acknowledged &
pronounced in the presence of

John Harvey

his
Mark M Whitticor the elder
mark

J. Williams Jurat

North Carolina Surry County August term 1787
Joseph Williams one of the subscribing witnesses to foregoing last will and testament of Thomas Whitticor; made oath that he saw the said Thomas Whittior, sign publish and declare the same to be his last Will and Testament. that he saw John Harvey and Mark Whitticor sign the same as witnesses; and ordered to be recorded. Recorded accordingly.
J. Williams Cle

Surry County, North Carolina Will Bok 2, Page 78

(JDW writes: Hester B. Jackson says that son Mark Whitaker married John Harvey's daughter.
Not long ago a descendant of William & Prudence Whitaker of (Prudence 1805-1850) Pulaski sent me a note saying that he found among his father's papers a scrap of paper that his father had written down the names of William Whitaker, b. 22 Nov. 1772 & Prudence Harvey. William & Prudence named their 4th son James Harvey Whitaker (b. 1806). I asked said descendant if he thought his father might've speculated (as I had) that Prudence's maiden name was Harvey because of the name of son James Harvey, but I didn't get an answer. I do know because of land sell record that my 5/4ggf Giles Whiteaker sold Pulaski land to Littleberry Bray of Surry Co., NC)

------------------------------------------------------------

From Claudia Whitaker)

Our group has just received copies of a book "Mark Whitaker of Baltimore County, Maryland and Allied Families," by Ruby M. (Whitaker) Buck, 1992. She is descended down to our Mark the Preacher and his son that went to Illinois. Here are just a few passages:

Thomas Whitaker witnessed the will of Edward Johnson, Frederick County, on 28 June 1762, and Mark Whitaker 9brother) was one of the executors. Since Thomas Whitaker witnessed this will in 1762, he went to Rowan County, North Carolina, sometime after that year. He appears on tax lists in Surry County, N.C., in the North Carolina Archives, for the years 1774, 1782, 1784, 1875, and 1786. On the 1774 list his name is given as Thomas Witeacker. On 8 February 1772, he was ordered by the Court, along with several others, to layout a road.

On 7 September 1782, Thomas Whitticor and son, Johnson Whitticor, gave bond in the amount of 50 pounds for Johnson's marriage to Sarah Stafford.

(This is just interesting) Ann Baker, four years old, was apprenticed until she was eighteen to Thomas Whitaker to learn the art of mantua maker (dressmaker); this action was recorded in the August Court 1775. (Everyone seems to think that the Mark + Ann is Mark Whitaker and Ann Baker.) I do too.

Thos. Whitacor was granted 200 acres on Double Creek in Surry County by the State of North Carolia on 3 November 1784. This land adjoined John Harvey's 200-acre grant.

Surrry County, North Carolina, Tax List 1782: Mark Whitticar (S) (S means single) and Thomas Whitticar, 3 horses, 10 cattle, 200 acres.

Notes for Mary Wilson?:
Thomas' wife's maiden name is not confirmed.

From Rosemary Colvin's web page (http://thorin.adnc.com/~whit0169/Descen.htm) :

No record of Thomas and Mary's marriage has been found. Speculation is that Mary was the daughter of Thomas and Priscilla Wilson of Prince George Co., Md. In his will, Thomas Wilson instructs wife to "make over to Thomas Whitaker 100 A "Prevention". Daughters Priscilla and Mary were left only
personal estate, suggesting they were still unmarried at the time of his death. The will was dated 30 Mar 1744 and recorded 1 May 1744.

Children of Thomas Whitaker and Mary Wilson? are:
4 i. Mark M. Whitaker, born Abt. 1760 in Surry Co., NC; died Abt. 1814 in Castle's Wood, Russell Co., VA; married Martha Harvey?.
ii. Margaret Whitaker.
iii. Johnson Whitaker, married Sarah Stafford September 07, 1784 in Surry Co., NC.

Notes for Johnson Whitaker:
Johnson moved to Washington Co., TN where he died in 1799 leaving a will there in Vol. I, p 50-52. He does not name his children but does provide for them. His will was witnessed by brother Mark W. and Jonathan Tullie.

Marriage bond from Surry County records:
WHITAKER, Johnson & Sarah STAFFORD, 7 September 1784; Thomas WHITAKER, bondsman

Notes for Sarah Stafford:
Sarah married Samuel Feagley in Madison Co., KY after after Johnson died

iv. Elizabeth Whitaker.
v. Mary Whitaker.
vi. Nancy Ann Whitaker, born 1756 in Prince George Co., Maryland; died July 07, 1820 in Surry Co., NC; married James York, Jr. 1767 in North Carolina.

Notes for Nancy Ann Whitaker:
Info on Nancy is from descendent Jerry Harris' files (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...)

This source says that Nancy's father is a Thomas Whitaker who was born in 1734 - I WONDER IF WE ARE MISSING A GENERATION IN THE ELDER THOMAS' FAMILY???

Notes for James York, Jr.:
In 1786, James owned 300 acres along Yadkin River in Southern region of Surry Co., NC

vii. Jane Whitaker.

Generation No. 5

16. Mark Whitaker I, born Abt. 1680 in St.Georges Parish, Baltimore, MD.; died May 01, 1729 in Frederick, MD. He married 17. Catherine Teague June 10, 1705 in St. George's Parish, Baltimore Co., MD.
17. Catherine Teague, born 1691 in Cecil Co., MD; died November 15, 1717 in Frederick, MD. She was the daughter of 34. Edward Teague and 35. Susannah Unknown.

Notes for Mark Whitaker I:
Mark Whitaker is not on the list of taxable in 1699 in Baltimore Co., but he is shown as paying taxes in 1702.

No one has yet been able to determine where Mark Whitaker I came from, or who his family might have been. Was he a recent immigrant in the late 1680s, when he seems to appear from nowhere? Or had his family been in America for a generation or more? According to the biography of Mark1's g-g-grandson Presley Whitaker, "Mark Whitaker (ie, Mark3), subject's grandfather, was a native of Rowan County, N.C., and a grandson of an English marquis" (Presley, Johnston, Mark3, Mark2, Mark1). If this can be credited (a big if), then Mark1 may have been English nobility fresh from the old country. Presley's son said that the family progenitor was a "Scotchman".

There is another Whitaker patriarch in Baltimore during this period - John, who is the sire of a large family of Whitakers who migrated to KY in the late 1700s, settling initially in the area of present-day Louisville. Some researchers have speculated a relationship with Mark, but there is not proof as yet.

My grandfather John Moore Whitaker was told by his father William Thomas Whitaker that the Whitakers are one of the oldest families in this country, and descend from a family of seamen from Dover (or maybe Devon) England. There are dark intimations of possible piracy, roaming the Carolina coast up to no good in the earliest years of our country's history, and possibly a relationship with Sir Francis Drake in these early times. Well who knows - it may yet be true. My grandfather certainly believed it.
-------------------------------------------

Paul Lee Stickley on the Whitaker Genealogy Forum says that Mark1's father is John Whitaker, but this is not verified. He writes: "The notes I write from were made several years ago from notes loaned to me by an ancestor hunter. The notes contain data which suggests that John & Mary of Spesutia Hundred were the parents of Mark Whitaker who twice married, and it his three sons, Thomas, Mark, and James, two from his first wife, Katherine, and one from Elizabeth, who leave old Baltimore County for Prince George County. Mark married Abigail Johnston, and via this marriage, somehow or other, her nephew, Thomas Johnson married Elizabeth Whitaker. The latter's brothers, Henry and Robert, moved from Hawbottom to NC where they married in 1785, Catherine Whitaker, and Bethany Knight, respectively."

--------------------------------------------

WeldonW writes:

"It doesn't appear that this Mark Whiteaker was a Quaker. Records show that he worked for the St. George's Parish as a vestry clerk in 1724, 1725 and 1726. (The Act of 1692 made the Church of England the established church in the province of Maryland.) Guess the Quakers had to be across the border in Pennsylvania to practice their religion.

In Beaumont W. Whitaker's paper his "grand daddy" is a John Whitacre. He mentions the Mark Whiteaker family but says he knows of no connection to John's. But the records for both families are in the St. George's Parish and some on the same page. They likely were connected in some way.

Page 101. Evan EVANS, D. D.. St. George's Parish, Baltimore CO; 25 may 1721;
10 Nov 1721. To Rev. Geo. ROSS, of New ___ ___, for preaching funeral sermon, 2 guineas; eldest son of only dau. Mary (wife of Rev. Thos. LOYD, of Denbigh CO, England), proceeds from sale of 2 tracts of manatiane, Philadelphia CO, PA, viz. 600 A. "Rhydyearn" and 400 a. "Trevaglnys"; sd au. Failing male issue, to her eldest dau, rs. Int. of proceeds for use of wife Alice, during widowhood, to revert t hrs of dau. Mary as afsd; wife Alice, rents & profits due from living at Sutterton, CO Lincoln, and 1/3 int. in mortage on est. of Wm. ROBINSON, Esq, CO Denbigh, during life; dau Mary afsd, res. Of sd. Mortage, w/reversion of third beq. Wife; Mr. Charles READ, mercht, in Philadelphia, 5 lbs; Edw. HALL & Roger MATHEWS, exs, personalty. Test. Directs he be buried a n. end of the altar table in st. George's Church. Test: Mark WHITAKER, Chas. BAKER, Obidiah PRICHARD.
Maryland Calendar of Wills: Volume 5
(Abstract from MD Calendar of Wills for this entry:
-- Test: Mark Whitaker, Chas. Baker, Obidiah Prichard. 17, 207.

Other abstracts linking important families include:
-- Maryland Calendar of Wills: Volume 5
North Carolina
James Pritchard Pasquotank County, NC 05 Jun 1754 - Dec 1755
Will
Wife, Executrix and sole legatee: Susanah. Witnesses: Wm. Coale, Thos. Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor. Clerk of the Court: Thos. Taylor.

-- Maryland Calendar of Wills: Volume 1
page 52
[p.52] Exs.: Henry Willcocks, Henry Southeby, Thos. Taylor of Kent,)

Also: Notes for Charles Whitaker (KVL note: Charles was father of John Whitaker b. 1722 MD, and founder of Beargrass Baptist near Louisville) : will, admin bond posted March 5, 1740 by John Whitaker with Samuel and Obadiah PRITCHARD. Estate was admin Nov 20 1744 by John Whitaker.)
---------------------------------------

The report, "Descendents of Mark Whitaker I", is posted at my FTW site: http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/v/a/n/Kathryn-W-Van-lee...

Notes for Elizabeth Empson:
Elizabeth Empson/Emson, widow of Mark Whitaker. married Francis Taylor 6 Oct 1729 in Baltimore County, Maryland (I.S. No. K, p. 109). A record at St. George's Parish, Maryland, June 1733, reads: "Francis Taylor is indicted for not taking care of Mark Whitaker's orphans.

---------------------------------

Misc. notes from the Empson homepage (http://empson.co.uk/)

Colonial Pioneers
Cornelius Empson was a Quaker who left Yorkshire for the American colonies in 1684. He was very successful owning substantial land holdings and becoming a JP and Judge in Newcastle Delaware. A great deal is known about him and his descendants.

There is a book on the Empsons ('The Empson Families in America' by Donald Empson and Amy Eileen Empson ,1984, Webmaster) out there: www.loc.org (library of congress).

Children of Mark Whitaker and Catherine Teague are:
i. Elizabeth Whitaker, born February 25, 1704/05; married Flower Swift May 13, 1725 in Baltimore Co., MD.

Notes for Elizabeth Whitaker:
Notes from JDW on Elizabeth and family:

(Hello Jim)
I have not actually located a Rose or a Roseann Swift in the family but we do not know whether or if Flower Swift had any sisters or daughters besides Margaret Swift born 1728 St. George's Parish MD. He probably did as it was said his wife had children after she remarried. We are not sure the Elizabeth he was married to in 1742 was Elizabeth Whitaker. There is a possibility that she might have been a second wife. This might explain why Thomas Swift did not stay with her in 1754 and why the Whitakers settled a little further west and a few years later than Flower Swift in Frederick County (though I think they made up for that by going further west earlier in later years).

...There was a Thomas Swift in early Jamestown (1720) but no indication whether he survived. The MD Swifts were far more numerous.

What interested me was that even after the Swifts and Whitakers appear to have "parted ways" they Swifts still ended up close to the Teagues who they were only related to through the Whitakers. The distance may not have implied that there were no longer any ties and the presence of two sons of
Thomas Swift in Rowan County in 1790 interests me (though I think a lot of the Whitakers had moved on by then). Fellow Swift researcher Betsy Arndt is keeping a special eye out for Whitakers since that is an area of the family we want to increase our understanding of.

Speaking of Betsy and getting back to Roseann Swift, we now believe based on some recent research by Betsy, that Flower Swift's paternal grandmother (wife of another Flower Swift and mother of yet a third Flower Swift) was named Ann Rose (daughter of a John Rose) and lived in Tellisford Somerset
England. The Swifts were very keen on preserving old family names (like the Whitakers were with the name Mark) and the name Rose or Rose Ann is interesting to say the least. We are pretty sure the name Flower as a masculine name entered the family as the surname of the mother of Flower Swift of Tellisford so there would be a precedent.

The other intereting Swift from our perspective is Mark Swift of Baltimore ca 1696-1708. He does not appear to be as some have suggested the father of Flower Swift though he may indeed be a near relative. His only son we are sure of was another Mark Swift and the Mark Swift name presisted in
Baltimore and later Harford County well into the 1800's (and may still for all we know). Mark though by no means an unsual name was not that common either and the marked preference of both families for it together with their nearness of place of residence has made me wonder if Flower Swift did not meet Mark Whitaker through Mark Swift. (There is a good chance Flower's coming to America had to do with the Jamaica trade his uncle Peter had carried on until at least 1711 and which may have been continued later by other family members). Others in this mix include the Richard Greenland family of Harford Maryland. Richard Greenland came from Shoreditch in London which was Flower Swift's grandfather (Flower Swift I)'s last place of residence. There was a Flower Greenland in his family who was probably
named after an uncle Flower Greenland born Road Somerset in 1686. Two of Flower Swift's of MD's great aunts (Dorothy and ELizabeth Swift of Norton St. Philip Somerset) had married Greenlands and moved to Road Somerset ca 1700.

There do not appear to be any Whitakers in that part of England (there was a Mark Whitaker in Yorkshire I believe) and I get the distinct impression that the Whitakers had been in America substantially longer (Mark Whitaker's being a witness of the will of Dr. Evans at St. George's Parish ca 1720 indicates he was a man of importance in that community and had probably not just shown up recently). I am very pleased at the chance to finally make progress on the Mark Whitaker line both backwards and forwards (I have
always assumed that all of the Mark Whitakers from MD to Kentucky were of the same line though I admit I have never sought proof).

Anyway, if there is any of the above material that looks interesting or that you do not have, please let me know and I will arrange to send it you. Also please let me know if anything appears to strike a chord. Another fellow at genforum is now saying that Mark might be the son of a James Whitaker who
came over from Angland in the 1600's.

Grady

jwdw note 10.27.00:

1. It is of interest that our Mark Whitaker's father-in-law, Edward Teague immigrated to Baltimore Co., MD from England.
2. "Great-Aunt" Elizabeth Whitaker Swift's husband Flower Swift immigrated to Baltimore Co., MD, and
3. that "Great-Uncle" Mark Whitaker II's "trusty" friend John Cary's father immigrated from England to Baltimore Co., MD.
Also, I strongly suspect (per LDS submitter) that Nicholas White (of MD/NC/KY was related to my Taylors linked to our Whitakers) was marriage bondsman for Joseph Minze, b. England & Margaret Butrem, 23 Oct 1779

Bride: Margaret Butrem
Groom: Joseph Minzes
Bond Date: 23 Oct 1779
County: Rowan
Record #: 02 313
Bondsman: Nicholas White
Witness: Jos Brevard
Bond #: 000127888

2 [3] Joseph MINGS MINGES/MINZES b: April 09, 1755 in England d: April 14, 1849 in Saline, IL Appears census: 1840 Hamilton IL w/son Jacob, 1830 Wayne KY, 1820 Wayne KY, 1810 Wayne KY
.... +Margaret BUTTRAM BUTREM b: 1760 in NC m: October 25, 1779 in Rowan County, NC d: December 27, 1787

Joseph & Margaret Minzes' daughter "Polly" married Benjamin Taylor III in Madison Co., 3 Jan 1819

8 ii. Thomas Whitaker, born June 13, 1712 in St. George's Parish, Spesutia Hundred, Baltimore County, MD; died Abt. 1787 in Surry Co., NC; married Mary Wilson?.
iii. Mark Whitaker II, born February 15, 1715/16 in St. George's Parish, Spesutia Hundred, Baltimore County, MD; married Abigail Johnston February 06, 1743/44 in Frederick, MD.

Notes for Mark Whitaker II:
James and half brother Mark Whiteaker lived side by side before the Rev. War near Peeler (also known as Weaver Creek) in what is now present day Davie Co., NC. James had land on Weavers Creek next to Mark Whiteaker on Anthony's Creek.

--------------------------------------------

DOCUMENTS RELATED TO MARK WHITAKER II
------------------
MARYLAND WHITAKER NOTES

1740 Delight surveyed for Mark Whitaker and Thomas Wilson

1742 Mark Whitaker and Thomas Whitaker petition for new parish of Episcopal Church (also Jnh Johnson, Thos. Johnston,)

1745-46 Mark has a land deed record in Prince Georges County, Maryland (KVL note - do not have details for this record

1750 Mark & Thomas Whitaker were overseers for the road from Shenandoah Mountain to Catoctin Mountain

15 May 1753 Mark Whitaker of FC sells 50 A of "The Delight" for 50£ to Andrew Bolus. Abigail, wife of Mark, released dower. Page 13

7 Nov 1759 Mark Whitaker recorded stray before Peter Bainbridge page 87

11 Dec 1759 Mark Whitaker recorded stray before Peter Bainbridge page 90

20 Nov 1760 William Johnson of FC sells to Mark Whitaker for 50£ 50 A of " Exchanged" standing at a little spring, a draught of Kitoctin. Elizabeth, wife of William, released dower. Page 114

13 Dec 1762 Peter Butler sells for 50£ 5 sh 53 A of part of tract "Zen" on Kitoctin Creek at mouth of valley near a road that leads to Mark Whitaker to John Cary. Mary, wife of Peter, released dower. Page 66

20 Dec 1762 Mark Whitaker recorded stray before Peter Bainbridge Page 68

17 Apr 1764 Mark Whitaker of FC sells to Conrad Moser 50 A of "Exchange" for 10 £. Abigail, wife of Mark, released dower. Page 20

15 Jul 1765 Mark Whitaker of FC sells 114 A of "Resurvey on Nutt Spring" for 225£ to Stephen Ramsburgh. Abigail, wife of mark, released dower. Page 90

25 Oct 1765 According to a minimally documented account, Mark Whitaker & Peter Bainbridge, co-executors of the estate of Edward Johnson of John, filed an account of their administration of Edward's WILL on October 25, 1765, in Frederick County, MD, Court, showing that monies derived from Edward's estate were paid to Cathrine Johnson, William Johnson, Thomas Whitaker, and Mary Butler (Mary Whitaker was married to Daniel Butler)

--------------------------------------------------------

* GRANVILLE GRANTS IN 1755 TO MARK2 WHITAKER:

On January 13, 1755 Lord Granville granted Mark Whitaker 396 acres on Abbots Creek adjoining lands of Thomas Beal (per Rowan Co. Deed Book III, page 106)

On January 29, 1755 Lord Granville granted Mark Whitaker, a planter, four 10 shillings, 640 acres on Abbots Creek adjoining Moses TEAGUE (deed book 3, page 152).

These are the First Whitaker records found thus far in Rowan Co. N.C.. The area was located just south of Lexington in what is now Davidson Co. The area was located just south of Lexington in what is now Davidson Co. jwdw note: Moses Teague is Mark II Whitaker's 1st cousin.

* The above grants to Mark2 appears to have been part of a settlement of Maryland families on Granville grants in the Reedy Creek area of Rowan - friends and neighbors, who migrated to NC in the mid-1750-60s. The following passage gives some background on the settlement:

In 1753, before the Movarians had received their land from Granville, Avinton Felps received a survey of the Granville land for 500 acres in Anson County that was surveyed by Major James Carter, with his sworn chain-carriers, John Smith and Abiga McCoy.
This tract of land was located on the Yadkin River near the mouth of Reedy Creek. Later on, this land was found to be within the surveyed boundries of the 100,000 acres of land that Lord Granville had sold to the Movarians. Aventon Felps a blacksmith, and his oldest son Aquilla Felps who was a sawmiller, settled on Reedy Creek a tributary of the Yadkin River. I am positive that the main purpose for the Felps settlement at that time, was to provide skills and services for the establishing of the new German settlements of, Bethania, Bethabara and Salem, that was soon to follow.
Feb 12, 1753 Michael Miers sold to Avinton Felps a blacksmith, both of Anson County, for L25 Virginia money, 357 acres in Anson on North side of Yadkin river above mouth of Reedy creek. Signed- Michael (+) Miers, Witt. James Carter, William Bishop. Proved 20 Sept. 1753.
It appears that by 1753, Avinton Felps still owns property in Johnston County and 1 platt with 500 acres, 1 platt with 357 acres, located on the North side of the Yadkin River between Muddy and Reedy Creek. The land bought from Miers was the land where Aquilla Felps lived, and built a sawmill and a horse-ford, both of these landmarks were used in many deeds of locations in the Reedy Creek area. There has been no records found where Aquilla ever bought or sold land.
The Movarian Records, Vol. #3, contains a map of Rowan County, made in 1756, showing Avinton Felps living on Reedy Creek in Wachovia. Aquilla Felps is living nearby on Reedy Creek showing the location of his horse-ford crossing the creek.

* From the Carolina Cradle, chapter 6. In the forks of the Yadkin 1752 - 1762
The records of Frederick Co. Maryland contain much valuable information concerning the English and Welsh pioneers who settled north of the South Yadkin. These Pioneers included Philip Howard (Jr. and Sr.) John Howard, William Roberts, John Wilcockson, Benjamin and Jacob Barton, John Eaton, Mark Whitaker, Jonas and Solomon Sparks, Thomas Burk, William Bailey, Margaret Riddle, Samuel and William Francis, David Jones Jr. and Samuel Reed.

* The 1761 List of Rowan County Taxables lists: Whiteaker, Joshua, Whiteaker, Mark, Whitecur, William.
(KVL note - this is Arthur O'Neale's district. All appear to be PA line. Arthur O'Neale lived at that time about half way between the Yadkin River and what was to become Lexington, in current Davidson County. Dated Oct. 20, 1761)

1768 lists Mark Whitaker...with Thomas Whitaker and Mark Whitaker, jr. (last two indented and listed under the first Mark), William Whitaker, James Whitaker with Thomas And John indented underneath
him, THEN another James Whitaker and after him Mark Whitaker.

(KVL note - a taxable was a white male over the age of 16. I imagine the indented names are taxables in the same household. This would suggest that Mark2 has son Thomas and Mark3 over age 16 in 1768, and James has sons Thomas and John over age 16 in his household in 1768. According to an article in The Genealogical Journal (Davidson Co. NC), Vol II, No. 2, Summer 1982, The tax list for 1768 was a complete list for Rowan County. John Ford's Rowan district in 1768 includes Joshuah Whitker, Mark Whitker, and Pittir (Peter))

The 1778 tax list for Rowan Co. lists Mark Whitacre and Mark Whitacre jun., also Alexander Whitacre, James Whitaker, John Whitacre, Richard Whitacre and Thomas Whitacre
(KVL note - this looks like all MD line)

1787 lists Mark Whitaker.
(KVL note - must be Mark2 + Abigail, as most of the other MD Whitakers are gone to KY by 1787 and the PA Mark is in SC that year as shown by a deed).

From book Rowan County, North Carolina Tax Lists 1757-1800.

DEED RECORDS FOR MARK WHITAKER IN ROWAN CO., NC

List sent to me by the Lexington library (all they have abstracts for).
DATE BOOK PAGE NAME
1755 3 106 Mark Whitaker (Mark2 of MD - Granville grants)
1755 3 152 Mark (Mark2 of MD)
1763 5 329 Mark (Mark of PA??)
1768 7 67 Mark & Tabitha (Mark of PA)
1772 7 441 Mark & Tabitha (Mark of PA)
1772 8 23 Mark & Tabitha to Joshua (Mark of PA)
1771 8 234 Mark & Tabitha (Mark of PA)
1780 9 217 Mark (probably the two 1780 State of NC grants to Mark2 of MD)
1780 9 218 Mark (probably the two 1780 State of NC grants to Mark2 of MD)
1784 9 645 Mark & Ann (Mark3?)
1784 10 167 Mark & Ann (Mark3?)
1784 10 168 Mark & Ann (Mark3?)
1787 11 274 Mark & Tabitha (of SC = note on deed) (Mark of PA)
1788 11 580 Mark & Abigail (= Mark2 of MD who received state grants in 1780)
1788 13 189 Mark2 (?)
1791 14 159 Mark (?)
1795 14 560 Mark (of Fayette Co. KY = note on deed) (Mark3?. Glen says the 1795 deed also names wife Ann)
1802 18 234 Mark, Joseph, Joshua, John, William, James (A PA Mark, possibly 2nd NC generation)
1801 18 251 Mark, Joseph, Joshua, John, William, James (A PA Mark, possibly 2nd NC generation)
1806 21 489 Mark, Rebecca Boone, John Boone (KVL - this is my Mark, John Boone is his father-in-law)

(KVL note - Three wives names appear: Tabitha, Ann, and Abigail. Abigail md Mark2 of MD is alive as late as 1788, so Tabitha is likely the wife of PA Mark. There is also the entry Mark and Tabitha to Joshua Whitaker, which looks like the PA family. Also, the 1787 deed of Mark & Tabitha was witnessed by Eldad Reed, Mark of PA's brother-in-law and mentions neighbor Hugh McCrary, another brother-in-law of PA Mark. The 3 1784 deeds for Mark + Ann are interesting. I suspect these to be for Mark3, who likely
received "legal" lands through his father, Mark2. Mark3 is in Fayette Co KY by 1786 when he appears on the militia list - he later settles in Butler Co. So I suspect that these sales represent transactions completed in preparation for his move to KY).

------------------------------

Glen Cardwell has copies of the following Rowan documents for Mark Whitaker(s):
1. A copy of Mark's pension application. (KVL note - this is Mark3 of Butler Co.)
2. A copy of the marriage bond of a Mark and Catherine Boon(e). (my 4th g-grandpa)
3. A copy of a 19 November 1795 deed signed by a Mark and Ann Whitaker. (probably also Mark3 of Butler Co.)
4. A copy of the 9 September 1788 Power of attorney granted John Hendricks by Mark because he is leaving N. Carolina. (probably Mark2 - note the 1788 deed for Mark + Abigail above. Also note that John Hendricks signed (along with some Willcocksons) the 1784 petition of John Crouse for relief against a claim jumper). Text of this petition follows in the next section)

Glen notes that the Mark originating Item 1 and 3 apparently could not write (signed with X), while the other one could.

Fran Walker notes, "The Mark W. who md. Abigail signed with an "M" on deeds."

PETITION OF JOHN CROUSE
( http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/USA/NC/RowanDeed/... ; Posted by Tracey Marcelo <tmarcelo@austin.rr.com> on Sun, 27 Aug 2000 )

Source: NC State Records vol. 19 XIX, pages 926 and 927
(year 1782 ?)
To his Excellecy Thomas Burke, Esqr., Captain General, Govenor, Commander ?in-Chief in and over the State of North Carolina, &c.

The Petition of John Crouse humbly sheweth that your Petitioner of the Society of Dunkards, Haven bought a piece of Land in Rowan County Lying on the Waters of Bear Creek, and by a man a Near Nabor, Thomas Maxwell, who has Entereed the Sd. Land and has forewarned your humble Petitioner and forewarned him from tiling the land, and is Determined to Drive him from the Sd. Land. And your humble Petitioner being a Poor, Harmless and inoffensive man, having brought sd. land at a very dear rate; whereas, aforetime said Thomas Maxwell pretended no right nor Claim to said land, your humble Petitioner being a poor Dunkard and past Common Slow, both in words and axtions, but more especially he was he acknowledges was too slow, for when the land office was first opened the aforesaid Thomas Maxwell being of a cruel and Coveting disposition goes amedately and enters aforesd. land, and your humble Petitioner what through Ignorance and what through being too slow he neglected either entering his land or entering a Cavit against the man that had entered it, till the first three months wer out that was alowd for every one to Cavit in, that had any Ocation; therefore your humble Petitioner does humbly beg that your Excellency might be pleased to point out some way wherein he might be redrest and come to the right of his land again and he will ever think himself in duty bound to be thankfull to your Excellency for the Same.

We the subscribers hereof, do know asshuredly the right of the said land belongs to the above named John Crouse and we have know sd. Crouse a long time and we are satisfied that he is but a simple and very honest man.

Joseph Renshaw,
Joseph Roland,
Michel Beam,
John James,
Issac Renshaw,
Samuel Doriah,
Jacob Rethly,
Abrham Wellty,
Thos. Bentley,
Abraham Renshaw Jr.,
Christian Gros.,
Issac Anderson
Abraham Renshaw Sr.,
Elijah Renshaw,
Jacob Cellare,
John Hendricks, (KVL note - John Hendricks Sr. was living on Mark W. Sr's property in 1788, per the power of attorney of that year)
Daniel Lewis, (KVL note - Daniel is also on the 1782 list of men facing confiscation)
John Willakson, (KVL note - John is also on the 1782 list of men facing confiscation)
Willis VanCleave,
Ralph VanCleave,
Aaron VanCleave,
Benjamin VanCleave,
Thomas Stapleton,
Gasper Roland,
James Hendricks, (KVL note: James Hendricks is Mark W. Sr's "trusty friend" in 1788 power of attorney)
William Willesson,
Samuel Williakson.

------------------------------

The following was copied for the Rowan Co. Register, from the Rowan Co. Courthouse.

The within list I justly executed by me this third day of November 1782, William Butler, Constable.

A list of men that I summonsed to Shew Cause why thir propty shood not be confiscated in capt. Pearsons Company, November 3rd 1782

Shaderick Roberts Palsia Cornetser, Runaway
Natha Roberts Joseph Jarwood, ded
John Roberts Joseph Welch, ded
William Roberts Tom Feagly
Moses Roberts Hezekire Smith
Henery Wortman Richard Smith
Mikel wertman Francis Self
Rudolph Boo Tom Breading, Runaway
Jacob Baker James Jones, Runaway
Richart Bartleson John Roberts
Francis (?) talor Francis Roberts, gone to the mounts
John Prater Josheway Nolin
Shadr Eastub James Harwood
Thomas Jones Thomas Nelson
Joseph Jones Danul Wortman
Thomas Jones William Roberts, son of Robert
Roburt Foster John Whitaker
Hezekiah Foster Stophel Boo
James Whitaker John Witaker, ded
Richard whitaker, runaway Stophel beu, ded.
Jiles Whitaker, runaway Danaiel Beam, Runaway
Anthony Pealor John Wilcockson
Frederick Pealor Benjamin Talor, gone
Henery Whitaker John Sane
Jeorge March Danul Lewis
Rudolph March, runaway Leonard Lians
Jacob March, runaway Alexander Whitaker
Absolem Robirson George Wilcockson
John Hunder Hugh Forster
Daniel Hunter, moved Jacob Walles
Wm. Butler, Joseph Haiden, Obed Smith, Wiet Foard, evidences to the with in, in behalf of the State summonsed by me.
Wm. Butler

What became of Mark II? He was apparently the only one of the MD Whitakers in Rowan Co. to preserve his property by obtaining a state land grant after the 1777 confiscation act. He was still in Rowan in 1788, as shown by the deed that year for Mark + Abigail. It appears he may have left that year, as evidenced by the 9 September 1788 Power of attorney granted John Hendricks by Mark because he is leaving N. Carolina. It seems possible that Mark2 moved to KY to join his sons Mark3 and Thomas. (There is a Mark Whitaker in Iredell Co NC, which split from Rowan in 1788, in the 1790 NC census. This may be Mark2 - wonder if anyone has looked there for wills? I don't think it is the PA line - PA Mark was likely in SC as shown by the 1787 Rowan deed, and the other PA Whitakers were probably still in old Rowan (the part that became Davidson in 1822), or were possibly beginning to move to Buncombe Co. And most of the rest of the MD Whitakers were in KY by 1790).

1788 ROWAN CO., NC POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR MARK WHITACRE SENR

Sept. 9, 1788
Know all Men by these presents that I Mark Whitacre Senor of the County of Rowan & State of N. Carolina, planter for divers Consideration and (good?) Causes me hereunto moving, having made, ordered, Constituted & apointed, and by these presents do make, ordain, Constitute & appoint my trusty friend James Hendricks of the County & State aforesaid my true & Lawful attorney for me, and in my name to ask and demand of the State of N. Carolina a grant of a certain tract of Land where John Hendrick now livs on and after having obtained such Grant to reconvey Such Lands by deed of Conveyance to the said John Hendricks Senr., his heirs and asigns giving & by these presents granting to my said attorney my Sole and full power and athority to take, persue & follow such legal courses for the recovery of the Said Land whereon the Said John Hendrick now livs, or as I myself might or could do were I personally present and also I do hereby giv full power & athority to my Said attorney to give (part?) a lien by deed of Conveyance to the Said John Hendricks Senr, his Heirs & asigns forever Such Land where on the John Hendricks now Livs on and that to be at the (Court?) & Charges of him the said John Hendrick satisfying allowing & Confirming what (?) my said attorney Shall Lawfully do, or Cause to be done in & abought execution of the premises by virtue of (illegible), whereof I the said Mark Whitacre Senr have here unto Set my hand and did this Ninth day of September in the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven Hundred & Eighty Eight
his
Mark M Whitacre
mark

Witness: James W. McCulloh, Gray Sims

State of N. Carolina
Rowan County

I do hereby Certify that the written power of attorney to have been duly proven in open Court by the oath of James W. Cullok.
D. Osborn C.C.

(RoC Deeds 13:189)

(Bill Green, a descendent of the Hendricks family, writes: "The Hendricks you have encountered is my family, although John, depending on which John, is an Uncle or cousin, or something like that. The family goes back to the mid 1600s in the Delaware River Valley in Pa and they were part of the migration down the Great Wagon Road in the mid 1700s. In addition to Hendricks, the names Crouse, Roland, and Wently (not Welly) are all family and associates. I can get an address for you of someone who is John related and a much more knowledgable researcher than I, both in general and on the John side. Her name is Caroline Crabtree, but I don't have her address here in my office. I don't know if she does e-mail or not. A few short years ago when we were working together no one was doing it, and I somehow doubt that she has gone that way, but at least I could send her address if you are interested.
I am sorry to say that the names of Whitaker, Johnson, Wilcoxen do not ring a bell, but like I say, that Johns side was a branch or two removed from mine. I have a hunch, however, that they were part of the same Brethern community. The early pioneer to Rowan was the Good Elder James Hendricks, and he came there from Pa, but by way of Md. John was his son. Daniel was also his son, and that is my line.")

Notes for Abigail Johnston:
From a posting at the Whitaker Genealogy Forum by Paul Lee Stickley (http://genforum.genealogy.com/whitaker/messages/1305.html) :

Mark married Abigail Johnston in 1743 (old calandar?). They resided in Prince George County, which became Frederick County 5 years later, but birth record or baptismal record to identify any issue of the marriage is so far lacking. Mark & Abigail, with their family, moved to Weaver's Creek in NC some years later, as did Abigail's nephews, Henry Johnson of Thomas, and Robert Johnson of Thomas. There is no information to establish if the Johnson brothers left together, or left together with their aunt and uncle.

Paul also notes:

A re-examination of old data thrusts into the limelight Elizabeth Whitaker (Whiteaker) who married Thomas Johnson in NC in 1767. One view is that Thomas Johnson was from what is now Harford County, MD. Another view is that he is Thomas Johnson, Jr., of Frederick County, MD. Which view is the correct one? Either view is tenable at first glance.

Defense of the latter view: The bondsman for the marriage was related to the Whitaker brothers. In the years before 1767, the three Whitaker brothers - Mark, Thomas, and James - were in Frederick County, MD. The Johnson brothers - Henry, Thomas, and Robert - were in Frederick County. Some time after 1771, Brothers Whitaker were in NC. Some time after 1771 Brothers Henry and Robert Johnson were in NC; they married NC women in 1785. Brother Thomas Johnson, Jr., and his wife Elizabeth's residence cannot be pinned down until 1769 when he was fined in an assault case in Frederick County Court. Their first child, Thomas was born early in the marriage; circa 1767. Their daughter Abigail was born on April 29, 1769. Thomas & Elizabeth subsequently had additional children, and the family was listed on both the 1790 and 1800 Frederick County censuses. Conclusion: the second view is circumstantial at best; there is no proof as to Thomas' identity.

Marriage Notes for Mark Whitaker and Abigail Johnston:
"Mark Whitecar m. Abigal Johnston Feb. 6, 1743/44" All Saints' Parish, Frederick, MD records

Mark married Abigail Johnston in 1743. They resided in Prince Georges County, which became Frederick County 5 years later, but birth record or baptismal record to identify any issue of the marriage is so far lacking.

Children of Mark Whitaker and Elizabeth Empson are:
i. Charity Whitaker, born December 08, 1718.
ii. James Whitaker, Sr., born February 08, 1720/21 in St. George's Parish, Baltimore Co., MD; died Bet. 1795 - 1807 in Madison Co. KY; married Prudence Unknown in abt 1740.

Notes for James Whitaker, Sr.:
Shown in the St. George's Parish Register, on the same page as Rachel McElroy born August 7, 1713, daughter of John & Francis Mackelroy, is James Whitaker born February 8, 1721 son of Mark and Elizabeth Whitaker, and Peter Whitaker born May 6, 1716, son of John and Ann Whitaker, who had lived close to Thomas Felps ( the father of Avinton) in Baltimore County, Maryland. The John Whitaker line is a separate MD Whitaker family with no known connection to Mark I md Catherine Teague. Descendents of John Whitaker of Baltimore also migrated to KY in the late 1700s, settling around present day Louisville and establishing the Bear Grass Church, first Baptist church in the area. It seems likely that old Mark and John of Baltimore were somehow related, but this has never been established. Paul Stickley says on the Whitaker Genealogy Forum that Mark1 Whitaker's father was a John Whitaker, but this has not been verified as far as I know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James moved his family to Rowan County, NC in around 1761-62, and his half-brothers Thomas and Mark also moved to the area at about the same time or shortly after. James and half-brother Mark had adjoining farms in the southern part of what is now Davie Co., NC, near Reedy Creek. According to JDW, "There were two Reedy Creeks - one near Peeler Creek (Weaver Creek) where James and Mark Whiteaker of MD were and one up the Yadkin River on the other side in Davidson Co". James & Mark's brother Thomas settled nearby in Surry County.

The following road order places James in the Reedy Creek area by 1764:

July 14, 1764, On Motion of John Dunn Ordered that a road be laid out the Neares & Best way from John Howards Ferry to the road from Bethabara to Salisbury near Reedy Creek, running up from said ferry in the fork to Boon's Road & persons following appointed to lay of said road: John Roberts, Edward Turner, Nicholas White, Edward Williams, Isaac Holdman, Capt. Avinton Felps, Mathew Sparks, Will' Sparks, Francis Taylor, Thomas Jones, James Whitaker.

James and half brother Mark Whiteaker lived side by side before the Rev. War near Peeler (also known as Weaver Creek) in what is now present day Davie Co., NC. James had land on Weavers Creek next to Mark Whiteaker on Anthony's Creek.

Weldon Whitaker says, "James Whiteaker (I find this spelling more for him and Mark than Whitaker) had land in Rowan Co., NC on Weavers Creek next to Mark Whiteaker on Anthony's Creek before the Rev. War. There is no creek at this time named Weaver and no creek named Anthony. But I have plotted out old land deeds and found that Weavers Creek is the same as present day Peelers Creek and near to the west is Anthony's Run. "

---------------------------------------------

1768 Tax list for Rowan Co lists Mark Whitaker...with Thomas Whitaker and Mark Whitaker, jr. (last two indented and listed under the first Mark), William Whitaker, James Whitaker with Thomas And John indented underneath him, THEN another James Whitaker and after him Mark Whitaker. There appear to be at least two mark Whitaker's. (from correspondent Celia, who found this in the book Rowan County, North Carolina Tax Lists 1757-1800. This may be an incomplete list of just John Ford's Reedy Creek district (?) I don't believe all of the lists were preserved, and the PA Whitaker's district may be missing. Need to check this further.)
(I also found this reference to the 1768 tax list: "A Peter & Joshua Whitaker are on the 1768 Rowan CO. NC. tax list of John Ford. I also find 8 ( Mark Whitaker 3 times ) Whitakers on the 1768 Rowan CO. NC tax list of Morgan Bryan ( Daniel Boone related )". This suggests there are several districts in the original list - I need a copy of the original obviously)

I'd assumed that one of the Marks and William were PA Whitakers, but now I'm not so sure. If this is just a single district of Rowan, then it could all be MD Whitakers. (otherwise where is Joshua and other Whitakers?). To me this looks like the following households:

1 - Mark II, with sons over 16, Mark III and Thomas
2 - William, possibly a son of Mark II + Abigail?
3 - James Sr., with sons over 16 Thomas and John
4 - James Jr.
5 - Mark, son of James? (ie my 4th g-grandfather who would have been about 18. Not so sure about this though - could be PA Mark or even a duplicate entry for Mark II or III. I have seen duplicate entries on censuses for farmhands who moved around).

Other tax lists copied by Celia:

The 1761 List of Rowan County Taxables lists: Whiteaker, Joshua, Whiteaker, Mark, Whitecur, William. (KVL note - likely all PA Whitakers, the first MD Whitaker, James Sr., arrived in Rowan abt late 1761. His half-brother Mark2 did not arrive until abt 1766/67.)

1778 lists Mark Whitacre and Mark Whitacre jun. (KVL note - likely Mark2 and Mark3), Alexander Whitacre, James Whitaker, John Whitacre, Richard Whitacre and Thomas Whitacre

1787 lists Mark Whitaker. (KVL note - likely Mark2)
From book Rowan County, North Carolina Tax Lists 1757-1800. (note - Check in Davidson Co also)

---------------------------------------------------------
Other notes on James - some of these references may be for James' son James Jr, or another James.

JAMES WHITAKER IN MARYLAND, NORTH CAROLINA & KENTUCKY

James Whiteaker born February 8, 1720/1, St. George's Parish, Baltimore County, Maryland
---Register of St. George's Protestant Episcopal Church, pages 215

Petitioners Seeking Creation of All Saints' Parish, 1742
(Through Division of Prince George's Parish)
list of about 50 names includes:
Thos. Jones
Flower Swift (jwdw note: married Elizabeth Whitaker daughter of Mark & Eliz. Empson Whitaker)
Mark Whiteacar
Thos Whiteacar
John Wilcoxon, Sen
John Wilcoxon, Jun
(note Thomas Jones again - the name of Mark Whitaker + Catherine Boone's bondsman)

James Whiteaker bought 50 acres "Stony Batter, September 1743, Baltimore County, Maryland
---LGB/690, LGE/164

James Whiteacre bought 50 acres " Whiteacre's Chance", June 12, 1749, Baltimore County, Maryland
---TI4/167, BYI1/254

James Whitaker bought 525 acres "Stony Batter", December 18, 1755, Frederick County, Maryland
---BC/313, BC9/393

James Whitaker and wife Prudence were parents of sons:
James Jr., born about 1740, Frederick County, Maryland
Thomas, born about 1742, Frederick County, Maryland
John, born about 1744, Frederick County, Maryland (KVL - too old to be PegLeg?)
Alexander, born about 1744, Maryland or North Carolina
Giles, born about 1748, North Carolina
Henry, born about 1749, Frederick County, Maryland
Mark, born about 1750, Frederick County, Maryland
---IGI Addendum-FHL Film #2034707

At the request of Beale Owing the following deed was recorded May 12, 1758.
Made between James Whitaker of Frederick County and Province of Maryland Planter of the one part and Beale Owings of Baltimore County and Province of Maryland of the other part for part of a tract of land called Stony Batter containing two hundred and seventy acres of land.
Prudence wife of James Whitaker relinquished her right of dower in said land.
---Frederick County, Maryland Land Record F.443

At the request of Joseph Wells the following deed was recorded May 19, 1758.
Made between James Whitaker of Frederick County and Province of Maryland Farmer of the one part and Joseph Wells of Baltimore County, and Province of Maryland Farmer for a part of a tract of land called The Resurvey on Stony Batter containing two hundred and forty seven acres of land.
Prudence wife of James Whitaker released dower.
---Frederick County, Maryland Land Record F.447

Granville grant to James Whitaker, 695 acres on Anthony's creek on the forks of the Yadkin
---Rowan County, North Carolina Land Deeds, 21 December 1761

James Whitaker served on Grand Jury, 20 October 1762.
---Rowan County, North Carolina Court

James Whitacre, Sr. to William and Thomas Frohock, 695 acres , 14 August 1777, proved by John Lowery
---"The Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions" Rowan County, North Carolina", Book 4, page 230

James Whitacre, Sr. to William and Thomas Frohock on Anthony's Creek on forks of Yadkin.
--- Rowan County Land Deeds, 14 August 1777

William and Thomas Frohock to James Whitaker, 290 acres on Anthony's Creek.
--- Rowan County Land Deeds, 12 October 1777

#713, April 6, 1778, Joseph Williams, 250 acres bounded by James Whitaker, Samuel Busey's** old line on a former survey, line of James Carson, Decd. and for compliment, including his improvement.
---"Rowan County, North Carolina Vacant Land Entries, 1778 - 1789"

(** JDW note: Mathew Busey was living near Thomas Whitaker 1799; Thomas is thought to have been living in the area of James Whitaker's old farm. KVL note: At the time of his death Martha Wilcoxen's father Isaac was married to Edith Philpot, who soon afterwards was married to Matthew Busey and eventually moved to Kentucky. Martha Wilcoxen was the first wife of John PegLeg Whitaker. So Edith Philpot was her stepmother, and Matthew Busey her step-step dad? )

Case Jury , 7 May 1778, John Mitchell vs James Whitacre (£ 18.2.9 and costs)
---"The Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions" Rowan County, North Carolina", Book 4, page 152

#1233, August 5, 1778, Mark Whitaker, 300 acres on Weavers Creek adjoining Caleb Osborn's deeded land on one side and James Whitaker on the other side.

#1318, August 5, 1778, John Rowland, 250 acres on waters of Weavers Creek and Adjoining James Whitaker's deed land, Benjamin Bently, Anthony Pealor, and Mark Whitaker.

#1567, September 25, 1778, John Huntprater (KVL note: John Hunt Prather), 300 acres adjoining James Whitaker.
---"Rowan County, North Carolina Vacant Land Entries, 1778 - 1789

# 1598, September 28, 1778, Thomas Frohock and William Frohock, in right of John Frohock, Decd., 640 acre in forks of Yadkin River, begining at a White Oak where James Whitaker's line crosses Waggon Road near the Whitstone Branch, running across its head to Carson's line, down his and Whitaker's line and including his and Standrage's old improvements.

#1630, October 6, 1778, Humphrey Marshall, 400 acres in the forks of Yadkin adjoining James Whitaker, Thompson, Henry Hillyard, and widow Murphy, including Prater's improvement.

Capt. Lyon's District, Rowan County, North Carolina Tax List of 1778:
Alexander Whitacre
James Whitaker
John Whitacre
Mark Whitacre
Mark Whitacre, Jr.
Richard Whitacre
Thomas Whitacre

(KVL note: James must be James Sr. I believe these two Marks are Mark2 and Mark3. John could have been a son of Mark II or James. James is supposed to have had a son John born abt 1744 and this would fit. If John PegLeg born 1760 is James son though, he would seem to be too young to be on a 1778 tax list.)

6 November 1779, William and Thomas Frohock to James Whitaker, 290 acres, 19 October 1779, ackn
---"The Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions" Rowan County, North Carolina", Book 4, page 230

Deed prvd: James and Eliz Whitacre to James McColloh 290 acres September 1782 proved by Robert Johnston.
---"The Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions" Rowan County, North Carolina", Book 4, page 366

5 September 1782, James Whitacre to James McCulloh (Elizabeth Whitaker makes her mark)
--- Rowan County Land Deeds
(KVL note: I believe this is James Jr. as James Sr's wife was Prudence and I believe she was still living at this time)

Rowan County, North Carolina 1782 List of Men Facing Confiscation of Property:
Alexander Whitaker
Henry Whitaker
James Whitaker
Jiles Whitaker, runaway
John Whitaker
John Witaker, ded
Richard Whitaker, runaway
Francis Talor

(KVL note - Alexander, Henry and Giles are most likely James' sons. I haven't found a Richard Whitaker documented, but he could be an undocumented son of James, a son of Jame's half-brother Mark II - though Mark II's son Mark III served in the war with the patriot's army, or by 1782 he could be a grandson of James. Is John the son of James born abt 1744? He is probably not John PegLeg who was in Wilkes Co NC that year, marrying Martha Willcockson and appearing on the tax roll)

7 August 1788, William Raney vs James Whitaker and wife £ 8.
---"The Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions" Rowan County, North Carolina", Book 5, page 168

6 November 1788, John L. Beard vs James Whitacre. Guilty £ 10 and costs.
---"The Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions" Rowan County, North Carolina", Book 4, page 184

(KVL note: James Sr. probably left Rowan for KY in 1784 with the other MD Whitakers and their friends. These 1788 entries most likely reflect a different James).

Rowan County court, James Whitaker had a tavern.

At the request of Joseph Wells the following deed was recorded March 26, 1795.
Made "between James Whitacre of Madison County and State of Kentucky farmer of the one part and Joseph Wells of Frederick County and State of Maryland Framer of the other part for "all the remainder of a Tract of Land lying and being in Frederick County and State of Maryland and known by the name of The resurvey on Stoney Batter", excepting that part conveyed by "James Whitacre to a certain Beale Owings:.
The wife of James Whitacre was not a part to this deed. No acreage is given.
---Frederick County, Maryland Land Deeds W.R. 13-142

James Whiteaker appears on the Madison County, Kentucky tax lists for the years: 1794, 1799, 1800, 1801, 1802, 1803, 1805, 1806 and 1807.
---FHL Film #0008126

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An unknown LDS contributor submitted the following:

James WHITAKER
Sex: M Marriage(s):
Spouse: Prudence
Marriage: Abt. 1758
Westminster, Maryland

.... this is not proven, but interesting. If true, James' sons are likely younger than thought, or have a different mother.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another researcher notes that all of the names (James + children) except Henry show up in early Pulaski Co., KY records. Prudance is listed as a widow in the 1810 census. There are two William Whitaker households in Pulaski in the 1830 census.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Weldon Whitaker, James' son Giles went to SW Virginia in the 1790s an died in Claiborne Co., TN. James' son Alexander left Rowan Co. NC after the Revolutionary War and went to Logan/Muhlenberg Co. KY. He left KY after 1816 and ended up in Alexander Co., IL. He is probably the father of the Giles Whitaker who appears in Alexander Co., IL records in the 1800s. Also, James (Jr?) went to the Ohio Co. KY area. Weldon does not know what the connection is with the Pulaski Whitakers.

More info from Weldon:

Henry Johnson married Catherine Whiteacker, 14 May 1785 in Rowan Co,. NC with Alexander Whiteakker as bondsman. (Often fathers were bondsman.)

Who was Alexander Whiteaker?

From the IGI Addendum it shows a James Whitaker and wife Prudence with sons James, Thomas, John, Alexander, Giles, Henry and Mark. (Does anyone know who submitted this information?)Most of the sons were shown as being born in Frederick Co., MD in the 1740's. Another IGI listing shows James and Prudence being married in 1758?

Alexander Whitaker applied for a Rev. War pension on 16 Oct. 1838 in Alexander Co., IL, age 87 on 31 Aug. 1838 (born 1761), born on Yakdin River in NC & lived in NC about 1 year after Rev. then moved to Muhlenberg Co., KY & in 1821 he moved to Alexander Co., IL.

Tax lists show Alexander Whiteaker in Logan Co., KY 1792-1799 on Clifty Creek and Muhlenberg Co.,KY 1800-1816 on Clifty Creek. James Whiteaker appears on many but not all of these tax lists.

A will for James Whitaker appears in nearby Ohio Co., KY in 1816. The will names Alexander as his brother and is witnessed by Rice W. Whitaker & Nathaniel Grigssby (strongly believed to be son & son-in-law of Giles Whiteaker of Claiborne Co., TN). That takes care of three of the brothers, where did the others go?

-------------------------------

This post at the Rowan County forum confirms some of my theories about claim jumping
(http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/USA/NC/RowanDeed/...) :

Petition of John Crouse

Source: NC State Records vol. 19 XIX, pages 926 and 927
(year 1782 ?)
To his Excellecy Thomas Burke, Esqr., Captain General, Govenor, Commander ?in-Chief in and over the State of North Carolina, &c.

The Petition of John Crouse humbly sheweth that your Petitioner of the Society of Dunkards, Haven bought a piece of Land in Rowan County Lying on the Waters of Bear Creek, and by a man a Near Nabor, Thomas Maxwell, who has Entereed the Sd. Land and has forewarned your humble Petitioner and forewarned him from tiling the land, and is Determined to Drive him from the Sd. Land. And your humble Petitioner being a Poor, Harmless and inoffensive man, having brought sd. land at a very dear rate; whereas, aforetime said Thomas Maxwell pretended no right nor Claim to said land, your humble Petitioner being a poor Dunkard and past Common Slow, both in words and axtions, but more especially he was he acknowledges was too slow, for when the land office was first opened the aforesaid Thomas Maxwell being of a cruel and Coveting disposition goes amedately and enters aforesd. land, and your humble Petitioner what through Ignorance and what through being too slow he neglected either entering his land or entering a Cavit against the man that had entered it, till the first three months wer out that was alowd for every one to Cavit in, that had any Ocation; therefore your humble Petitioner does humbly beg that your Excellency might be pleased to point out some way wherein he might be redrest and come to the right of his land again and he will ever think himself in duty bound to be thankfull to your Excellency for the Same.

We the subscribers hereof, do know asshuredly the right of the said land belongs to the above named John Crouse and we have know sd. Crouse a long time and we are satisfied that he is but a simple and very honest man.

Joseph Renshaw,
Joseph Roland,
Michel Beam,
John James,
Issac Renshaw,
Samuel Doriah,
Jacob Rethly,
Abrham Wellty,
Thos. Bentley,
Abraham Renshaw Jr.,
Christian Gros.,
Issac Anderson
Abraham Renshaw Sr.,
Elijah Renshaw,
Jacob Cellare,
John Hendricks,
Daniel Lewis,
John Willakson,
Willis VanCleave,
Ralph VanCleave,
Aaron VanCleave,
Benjamin VanCleave,
Thomas Stapleton,
Gasper Roland,
James Hendricks,
William Willesson,
Samuel Williakson.

(Posted by Tracey Marcelo <tmarcelo@austin.rr.com> on Sun, 27 Aug 2000)

Notes for Prudence Unknown:
From JDW:

Prudence's maiden name may have been Giles?

1807 is the last time I find James Whiteaker on the Madison Co., KY tax lists. Most of the time his name is spelled Whiteaker, in 1803 I found Whiteacars. Most of the entries have the word "exempt" at the end of his name which I believe means he was over a certain age (maybe 65 or more?).

Widow Prudence Whitaker of 1810 Pulaski was born in 1775, NC and is suspected as having been married to a William Whitaker.... I've never seen any proof that Prudence was married to a William Whitaker but many believe that she was. The male name William does seem to be a popular name with her descendants. Prudence isn't in the 1820 Pulaski census but Prudence (age 75) was living in her son John Whitaker's household in 1850 (the older woman in John's 1830 & 1840 Pulaski households must be Prudence).

I've been trying to find a Prudence Whitaker married Josiah Isaac Baker, 16 Nov 1807, Pulaski in hopes of finding out who her parents were. The Baptist minister Adam Banks who presided over Prudence & Josiah's marriage also presided over Mark's daughter Polly's marriage to Samuel Boyd so I have a weak suspicion that Prudence was also Mark's daughter. There's the good possibility that Prudence is the daughter of Prudence, b. 1775. If I could prove that Mark was father of Prudence (married Josiah) then I'd strongly suspect that he was the son of James & Prudence.

iii. Empson Whitaker, born September 30, 1724.

Notes for Empson Whitaker:
From JDW: Empson Whitaker... I think it's recorded that he was self-confessed 'lunatic'... he did have children and tried to give them up because of his lunacy....

In Rowan County, 1773 an Epson Whitaker moved that Court bind out his children, "he being a lunitick." Motion rejected, his wife, on petition was granted care of her children.

(Note to myself to check later: What was Empson's wife's name - maybe Ann/Nancy? There is that Ann in 1787/88? Fayette, and that Nancy who is in the Butler Co. church with Thomas and wife abt 1800.... )

iv. Elizabeth Whitaker, born August 28, 1726.
v. ? Whitaker, married ? Unknown.

Notes for ? Whitaker:
Mark and brother John PegLeg appear to descend from a Maryland Whitaker family. The patriarch, Mark Whitaker I, was married twice - to Catherine Teague and Elizabeth Empson - and had a number of children. I believe one was the father of Mark and John, but it is not clear which. The father could have been James, who married Prudence, or possibly Empson, of whom very little is known.

18. Thomas Wilson?, died Abt. 1744 in Prince George Co., MD. He married 19. Priscilla Unknown?.
19. Priscilla Unknown?.

Notes for Thomas Wilson?:
Thomas' wife's maiden name is not confirmed.

From Rosemary Colvin's web page (http://thorin.adnc.com/~whit0169/Descen.htm) :

No record of Thomas and Mary's marriage has been found. Speculation is that Mary was the daughter of Thomas and Priscilla Wilson of Prince George Co., Md. In his will, Thomas Wilson instructs wife to "make over to Thomas Whitaker 100 A "Prevention". Daughters Priscilla and Mary were left only
personal estate, suggesting they were still unmarried at the time of his death. The will was dated 30 Mar 1744 and recorded 1 May 1744.

Note that Thomas Wilson's "Prevention" was just west of Thomas Johnson's "Johnson's Delight". Johnson is thought to be Mark2 Whitaker's brother-in-law.

There is also this deed:

1745. Mark Whitaker of Prince Georges County, Maryland, purchased 50 acres from Priscilla Wilson and Thomas Wilson, her son. This land was in Prince Georges County and is recorded in Prince Georges County..... Prince Georges Deeds, Liber EE, Folio 102 - 04.

Children of Thomas Wilson? and Priscilla Unknown? are:
9 i. Mary Wilson?, born Abt. 1715 in Prince George Co., MD?; died Bef. 1795 in Surry Co., NC; married Thomas Whitaker.
ii. Priscilla Wilson?, born in Prince George Co., MD.
iii. Thomas Wilson?.

Generation No. 6

34. Edward Teague, born Abt. 1655 in Bristol, England; died March 09, 1696/97 in Cecil Co., MD. He was the son of 68. John Teague. He married 35. Susannah Unknown Abt. 1691 in Cecil Co., MD.
35. Susannah Unknown, born 1663 in Cecil Co., MD; died 1703.

Notes for Edward Teague:
EDWARD TEAGUE was born 1655 in Bristol, England, and died March 09, 1696/97 in Cecil County, Maryland. He married SUSANNAH Abt. 1691 in Cecil County, Maryland. She was born 1663 in Cecil County, Maryland, and died 1703.

Notes for EDWARD TEAGUE:
Edward Teague (also "Tegg") was from Bristol, England, and paid passage to America on Thomas Jones' ship in 1675 [The first English settlement in MD was 1634 at St. Marys]. He settled in Cecil County, Maryland where he bought 290 acres of land, naming it "Tegg's Delight." (Source: "Kipp" Teague's home page)

Edward immigrated to America in 1675, transported to Maryland by Thomas Jones, a trader from Bristol, England. Edward TEGG patented 130 acres in Cecil County, MD, in 1695.

Excerpt from the Teague Family Magazine originally published in the 1970s

"The earliest known record we have located on Edward Teague is contained in the Hall of Records in Annapolis, MD in the "Index to Early Settlers" (1630-1680). Volume 2. This reads as follows:

"June 8, 1675 'Eodem Die (this day) Thomas Jones proved his right to two hundred and fifty acres of land for transporting himself, Edward Teage, John Edmonds,Sr., Rebecca Edmonds, John Edmonds, Jr. into this Province to inhabit.'

"The question, where did Edward Teague come from? Was he transported direct from England, or was he brought into Maryland from the Eastern Shore of Virginia where some earlier Teagues had settled? The record doesn’t say but in checking on Thomas Jones, the person who transported him into Maryland we find he was a mariner from Bristol, England, a trader and sheriff of Somerset County, MD. In 1672 he was given exclusive rights to trade with the Indians in St. Mary’s County, MD.

"We believe Edward was 15 when transported into Maryland; that his year of birth was in the neighborhood of 1660. As to the names of his parents, the Association hasn’t let up on the research. We have several good leads, but nothing definite that we can prove by the records.

"The second record on Edward Tegg (as was spelled in these documents) relates to a Warrant Patent of 300 acres of land in Cecil County, MD, as laid out in two tracts by Thomas Coursey, Deputy Surveyor, - one for 130 acres dated August 25, 1695, and the other for 160 acres dated August 26, 1695. These were recorded in the Land Office in Annapolis, Md. Ten."

-------------------------

See also: "Descendants of Edward Teague" tree at the Teague Resource Centre at www.teagueonline.freeserve.co.uk :

Descendants of Edward TEAGUE of Maryland
1 Edward TEAGUE (c1660-1697) + Susan (1660)

2 William TEAGUE (1693 - 1775) + Isabella PENNINGTON (1693)

3 Edward TEAGUE (1716 - c.1810) + Lurannah VAN SWEARINGEN

Edward's Descent Tree

3 Moses TEAGUE (1718 - 1799) + Elizabeth LOFTIN

Moses' Descent Tree

3 Abraham TEAGUE (1720 - 1771) + Anna Permelia BROWN

Abraham's Descent Tree

3 Charity TEAGUE (1722)+ John SWAIM

3 Elijah TEAGUE (1726 - c.1780) + Ailsey DAVIS

Elijah's Descent Tree

3 Susannah TEAGUE (1730) + Joseph BORING

3 Joshua TEAGUE (1732 - Aft 1804) + Dorothy GAUNT

Joshua's Descent Tree

3 William TEAGUE (1733 - 1803) + Eleanor SIMONTON

William's Descent Tree

3 Rachel TEAGUE (1735 - c.1798) + David SHEPARD

2 Catherine TEAGUE (1695 - 1717) + Mark WHITEAKER

2 Ann TEAGUE (1695) + Thomas MITCHELL

Children of Edward Teague and Susannah Unknown are:
17 i. Catherine Teague, born 1691 in Cecil Co., MD; died November 15, 1717 in Frederick, MD; married Mark Whitaker I June 10, 1705 in St. George's Parish, Baltimore Co., MD.
ii. William Teague, Sr., born 1693 in Teggs Delight, Cecil Co., MD; died May 26, 1762 in Salisbury, Rowan Co., NC; married Isabella E. Pennington 1714 in Cecil Co., MD.

Notes for William Teague, Sr.:
William Teague sold his father's land in 1714 at age 21, and migrated to Frederick Co., VA in 1737, and later to NC in 1751.

William sold 130 acres of his father's land 5/14/1714 at the age of 21. Sold 160 acres 6/18/1737. The deed for William in Cecil County, MD, states that he is planning to leave Cecil County. He migrated to Frederick Co., VA c1737. Deeds in Frederick Co., VA show the names of three of his sons. He left Frederick County, VA c1751-55 for Rowan County, North Carolina.

Notes for Isabella E. Pennington:
May have had a first husband, John Pennington

iii. Ann M. Teague, born 1695 in Cecil Co., MD; married Thomas Mitchell, Sr..

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
yvonne 30 Jul 2006 9:52PM GMT 
Kathy Van Leeuwen 3 Mar 2000 11:00PM GMT 
Weldon Whiteaker 4 Mar 2000 10:50AM GMT 
RhondaTemple7... 7 Jun 2001 4:23PM GMT 
Weldon Whiteaker 7 Jun 2001 8:25PM GMT 
garfeild191 8 Mar 2004 5:24AM GMT 
Weldon Whiteaker 8 Mar 2004 8:32PM GMT 
Pam Watkins-Sluss 10 Apr 2001 11:19AM GMT 
Kathy Van Leeuwen 12 Jul 2001 8:27AM GMT 
Weldon Whiteaker 12 Jul 2001 11:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.