Search for content in message boards

IRWIN SEAMAN of Philadelphia

IRWIN SEAMAN of Philadelphia

Posted: 24 Feb 2008 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Seaman, Bennett
Hello all;

I was wondering if anyone had any relatives by the name of Irwin (Erwin) Seaman from the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or the Hamburg, Pennsylvania area in the late 1800's early 1900's. My Great-great grandfather was Irwin Seaman who was born in Hamburg, Pennsylvania 04 Jan 1882 but lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by the 1900's. As far as I can tell, he had two children; my great-grandfather Edmund Seaman and another son Irwin Seaman Jr. From what I have found, he was married to Hannah Bennett.

~ Jenn

Re: IRWIN SEAMAN of Philadelphia

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Seaman
Dear Jenn,

My great-grandfather was Irwin Seaman and he was indeed married to Hannah Bennett. You are absolutely correct in that they had two sons, Edmund and Irwin. I am descended from Irwin; you did however erroneously describe my grandfather as Jr, he was in fact the first as his full name was Irwin John Seaman, his middle name not being shared by his father. Irwin John Seaman married Louise Allen and they had five children, one of whom was my father namely Irwin John Seaman Jr. (You could say that without the John part he would in fact have been the third.) He married in the States, divorced, married again to my mother, an English woman, he emigrated to England and I was born in 1987 with the name Irwin John Seaman III (or the IV if you like!). He died in November 1999.

In February of last year I made contact with a chap called Edward Franklin Seaman III who is descended from Edmund Seaman, he lives in Germany, you probably know him?

Posted: 4 Mar 2008 2:49AM GMT
Hello John;

Thank you for getting back to me. And I thank you for providing some clarification on the first Irwin Seaman as well as your line. Unfortunately, the access I have to this information is very limited.

Edward Franklin Seaman was my great-grandfather. I am a direct female descended of Edward through his daughter (my grand-mother) and then her daughter (my mother).

Edward married my great-grandmother; Alma Winifred Wilson on 01 Sep 1933 in Pennsylvania. They had three children; Barbara Ann (my grandmother) born in 1938, Edward Franklin and James; all of who were born in Abington, Pennsylvania. Edward died in August of 1960 in Kentucky. My mother; Dianna Lee; was born in 1957 and I was born in 1982.

The Edward that you made contact with would be my 1st cousin once removed. I don't know if I've actually met Edward or not. I've only met his father and uncle a handful of times.

I am planning on visiting the Philadelphia Archives sometime soon to see if I can find the birth records of both Irwin and Edward.

I do believe that we are some kind of cousin once removed.

Posted: 11 Mar 2008 8:26PM GMT
Dear Jenn,

So it appears that we both descended from the original Irwin Seaman of c.1880 married to Hannah Bennett, he being my great-grandfather and your great-great grandfather if I've got that right! A curious set-up considering I'm younger than you, although admittedly I was born late in my father's life. If you wanted to talk further or exchange any more information that you or I might get in the future here is my email address j.seaman@virgin.net . Communicating by email affords a somewhat less public airing of information than this public message board!

Best wishes,

John

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 2:03PM GMT
My Grandfathers name was Irwin John Seaman but was married to a Louise Shirley ...... But not sure the last name. I know they were born in the early 1900 but both are deceased one in 1984 and the other in 2003. So not sure if somehow from that information we are talking about the same family.

Karena

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 2:05PM GMT
This sounds like my cousin from England.

Karena

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 2:07PM GMT
Ok now you do sound like my cousin.

Hey Cousin, I didnt think this persons decendants were almost the same of ours. But I lost tons of information from my Dads side.

Karena
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.