Search for content in message boards

Traveling Preachers

Traveling Preachers

Posted: 8 Dec 2001 1:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Aug 2003 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Salisbury, Rawson, Fay, Swanson, Wise, Taylor, Nelson, Hague, Bryant, Magruder, Overman, Brewer, Briggs, Bolin
I don't suppose anyone would know where to look for a list of traveling methodist ministers? It appears that I have a whole surname that stopped only long enough to have babbies!
Or Marry one off along the way.Surname is mainly Salisbury but also includes,Rawson,fay,Swanson,Wise,Taylor,Nelson, Hague,Bryant,Magruder,overman,Brewer,Briggs,Bolin,(or boleyn), and a bunch of females that we have only first and middle names for. Got 1 each of these names, (except for the ones that were able to hold on to a Salisbury girl long enough!)lol. So if you've lost one, there's a good chance my

Re: Traveling Preachers

Posted: 12 Jan 2002 5:49PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2003 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Linder, Osborn
Scott,
go to Cindy's list and under Methodist there is a circuit riders lindex. What area of the country are u looking in? I am also looking for a fellow named Linder that married a Mansalee Osburn in 1886.

Posted: 4 Mar 2002 6:47PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2003 9:52PM GMT
Thanks Roberta but I've already tried that site and that site is more for posting than anything. I asked the owner of the site and she said she started it because she couldn't find her own circuit rider and thought that someone else might post it. Scotty

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 10:50PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2003 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Osborn
I was investigating a methodist episcopal circuit rider ancestor of mine when I happened on your name and was intrigued. As a youngster in the thirties and forties I attended several Scott-Osborn reunions hosted by my grandparents in Michigan. Also I'm trying to find information on a distant relative named Adam Scott Osborn that was killed or died during the Civil War. I haven't had much luck so far on Adam Osborn but I've just started.
Regards, Mike Miller

Kevin Cooley (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2002 9:04PM GMT
My name is Kevin Cooley, a Methodist minister in South Carolina. Finding your Methodist minister ancestor will depend upon the years he served. From 1773-1844, their names are recorded in a general "Minutes" of the Annual Conferences. For 1773-1813, the minutes have been published by Boyd Publishing and are available today. After 1844, each conference (a geographic area) were published separately and should be available from the Archives of the Methodist Church in the conference he served. They should also have a copy of the remaining years before the church split (1814-1844). These records will highlight the ministerial career of a person, and in the case a minister died, will provide an obituary for them. If I can help you further, please feel free to contact me.

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 10:53PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2002 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Salisbury
Hi Kevin, thanks for responding.I don't have much on him but it might be enough. He is refered to as james Salisbury or capt. Jim. He may even be a John as those 3 names seem to inter twine. He was in the war of 1812 and suposidly became a circuit rider after that. He was at one time maried to a woman named Susan or suzzane, had at least one child in New York abt.1926 named Henry Q Salisbury who's son Herbert Rawson Salisbury supposidly became a methodist minister in th L.A CA area sometime after 1911. According to a letter from James's grandson william in osage Iowa, James traveled the logging camps of the Northeast. Quotes from letter.
"Captain Jim" Lumberjack and Circuit Preacher who was a legendary hero of the frontier days following the war of 1812. After he and his men fought with Commodore Perry against the British on Lake Erie, he became Lumberjack and Circuit Preacher in lumber camps from Maine to Wisconsin"
"" but I like to think that the "Spirit of the North" visits his grave in the Wisconsin land that he loved. Being a Salisbury, I am certain that I am right; that God, himself, knows that it takes strong men to drive the devil out of any new land and just as strong men to keep them out of an old land."
If you'd like a copy of the whole letter, just let me know. I appreciate any help you could give on either of these men.
By the way, an excerp from a letter from Herbert's son has this.
" My father told me once that I came from a long line of preachers and missionaries--one of whom went to India-- no further details. The only break in the line of preachers was my grandfather, a farmer. He and my grandmother, Eleanor, lived with us for awhile in Burbank when we first came to California from Oregon. He had a white, white beard and walked with a went to live with Uncle Quentin and Aunt Mabel in Sawtelle when we moved to Moorpark, and Pa started preaching. (Couldn't get in the Methodist Conference for a year)." Thanks again--> Scotty

Posted: 29 May 2002 12:51AM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2002 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Osborn
That is interesting Merritt, unfortunately I don't think there is a connection. It would be kind of neat if it there was though. scott

Posted: 11 Jun 2002 5:23AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2003 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Salisbury
Hi Kevin: I was wondering if you had had a chance to check and see if you could find my methodist
circuit riders or ministers yet? I posted all of the info I had the same day you kindly offered your help on
1 Apr 2002. Let me know would ya? thanks again----> Scotty

Carol Farmer (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2002 4:33AM GMT
Surnames: White
Thank you for assisting in locating Methodist clergy. I am trying to help my older cousin (from my gm's 1st marriage) locate her family. I can not verify this, but this is what she wrote me. "Methodist Bishop John White, travelled from Worthington, Ohio to attend his brother James' funeral in Battle Creek, MI." He was the older brother of James White, of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. John White is supposed to be the grfather of her father, George White, who left the family shortly after she was born. Can you guide me to a source to verify this for her. John White was born ca 1809. This is all the information I have been given. My cousin is 86 years old. Thank you in advance. Carol Farmer

Posted: 11 Jan 2003 9:03PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2003 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: Taylor
Hello Kevin

I found your message about the Methodist traveling preachers. My great-uncle George Washington Taylor, was a preacher in the Shenandoah, Page Co., Iowa. This was during the years of 1904 till 1930, when he died in Creston, Union Co., Iowa. Do you know how I can find out more about him and his ministry?
Thanks, Freda blademok@juno.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.