Search for content in message boards

PIKE family reunion summary

PIKE family reunion summary

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 5:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pike Pyke McPike
Well I’m back from meeting 140 other PIKE family members at the reunion in Colorado Springs. I’m not sure if my wordsmithing and command of the English language can describe how much fun this trip was for my wife and I. It was simply a blast. We went in not knowing anyone and came away with some good friends. Kudos to the organizers who work for 3 years to put on such a great event. There was just too much going on to comment on everything. Some highlights:

The parade in Pubelo where the town honored all the PIKE family members was a blast. The Mrs and I rode in a wagon and waved like fools to all the townies assembled on the street. Dang, I felt like I was in the Rose Bowl parade.

David PIKE our illustrious leader in the DNA effort gave several presentations on the hows and whys of DNA and spoke eloquently of how it can unlock the mysteries of who is in our family tree. Apparently some people have incorrectly assumed there was blood or needles involved in the testing. Not so. The test is super easy, and a swab is used to scrape the inside of your cheek.

The Pike Family Association (PFA) strengthened there bond with the DNA effort and several hundred dollars were donated (Thank you!) for sponsorships to help pay for those who might want to participate. Also it was decided to make a major push to have our English cousins get more involved. To that end, significant reductions are available for qualified individuals. Details at http://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/pike/DNA/index...

At the Association (PFA) business meeting several interesting items came up. First it was announced the library in Salisbury, MA would become the official repository for the PIKE family documents that individuals no longer wanted to store, or had no one to pass the documents on to. The documents donated would have a curator and be available to bonafide PIKE researchers with the approval of the PFA board. People interested in donating records, bibles or memorabilia should contact Roy PIKE - roypike36 @msn.com

Also, the board reiterated that the Pike Family Association wasn’t just about Zebulon PIKE or descendants of the John PIKE line, but was open to all who were interested in the rich heritage of those who claim the Pike/Pyke/McPike surname.

Wow, I could go on and on but I must end. Also, check out the neat map of PIKE distributions at http://www.frappr.com/pikesurname

Stu Pike
Alamo, CA

Re: PIKE family reunion summary

Posted: 13 Aug 2006 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2006 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Pike
To add to what Stu has already mentioned, the reunion was attended by Pikes from as far away as New Zealand, and by members of at least a half dozen different Pike family lines (including those who descend from James & Naomi Pike who were in Massachusetts in the 1640s, John Pike who settled in Massachusetts in 1635, and William Pike & Susanna Mills of Kentucky, to name just a few of the more prominent lines that were represented). I too had a great time at the reunion. Not only did we do a bunch of fun things (like taking the cog train up to the summit of Pikes Peak), but it was a wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know some wonderful people.

Included in the registration materials from the reunion were several booklets that were published by the Pike Family Association in the early 20th century. I didn't get a chance to read them until I got home, but now that I have, I am impressed with the details offered on a number of different Pike family lines. Based partly on these PFA records, I have begun a webpage that very briefly summarises some of the information about various early Pike families:
http://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/pike/DNA/index...

No doubt there are several early Pike families that I do not know about, and so I welcome input on additional early families in various places (for instance, I currently have nothing listed for early Pike families in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, yet I know that Pikes settled in each).

- David.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.