Search for content in message boards

family

Posted: 2 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Feb 2005 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: deveux, hougardy, james, bertrand, `
Looking for the family of Henri-Gatien Bertrand, general in Napoleon's army - born 1773 and died 1844.
Aso the family of Seraphim Bertrand
Family of Adele Charlotte Josephine Deveux of Veygoux
Adele Deveux and Louis Hougardy are parents of my great-grandmother Mary Lambertine Hougardy born 1955in Leige, Belgium.
Adele and Louis Hougardy both died in Wales.

General in Napoleon's army

B. Dawn Flaneur (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bertrand
I have old news clip from Wilmington, De 1942. Obit of Marshall Bertrand (my ggrandfather) says: "Marshall B. came of distinguished French stock, his Uncle General Eugene Bertrand having been a ranking officer in the army of Napoleon." I believe that "Eugene" is Americanization of Jean.
Second news clip is obit of Hester tyndale Bertrand says: Her husband Captain Louis Bertrand was grandson of Bertrand that "came to America with Jerome Bonaparte."
I'm not sure if this is same lineage, but I'm searching too, so maybe we can share info. I have other names of American/French Bertrands. Email me warkerent@altavista.com or post new message.
Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: bertrand, deveux, James, Hougardy
Thanks for your message. I'm looking for the above families. I've been trying to locate names in Belgium, the french speaking group, for a long time, unsuccessfully.
My great-grandmother was born in Liege, Belgium 30 November 1855, parents LOUIS HOUGARDY AND ADELE CHARLOTTE JOSEPHINE DEVEUX. According to family information, Adele was the daughter of a general, eloped with the coastman of the family. My geatgrandmother, MARIE LAMBERTINE HOUGARDY married Louis JAMMES,SON OF JACQUES JAMMES JAMES AND MARIE JOSEPH LERUITE. I have found information on two generals that could be connected with the family. I believe today it would be considered, extended family.
I have copies of connections with all the informtion located but can't find any names in Belgium for any of our family. Most of the information comes from Wales and the U.S. I have copies of travel permits. They visited Belgium many time. Also a letter from my grandmother's brother, Louie, from Liege, Belgium (Chenee)
I think I mentioned I have letters from Belgium from early 1900 signed, your sister, Elizabeth and brother-in-law Guillaume (William)Bertrand and your niece Marie Bertrand.
I have no information about any of the famiy coming to the U.S. but that doesn't mean they didn't immigrate.
Thanks for possible help anyone can give me.
Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: bertrand, deveux, James, Hougardy
Thanks for your message. I'm looking for the above families. I've been trying to locate names in Belgium, the french speaking group, for a long time, unsuccessfully.
My great-grandmother was born in Liege, Belgium 30 November 1855, parents LOUIS HOUGARDY AND ADELE CHARLOTTE JOSEPHINE DEVEUX. According to family information, Adele was the daughter of a general, eloped with the coachman of the family. My geat-grandmother, MARIE LAMBERTINE HOUGARDY married Louis JAMMES,SON OF JACQUES JAMMES JAMES AND MARIE JOSEPH LERUITE. I have found information on two generals that could be connected with the family. I believe today it would be considered, extended family.
I have copies of connections with all the informtion located but can't find any names in Belgium for any of our family. Most of the information comes from Wales and the U.S. I have copies of travel permits. They visited Belgium many time. Also a letter from my grandmother's brother, Louie, from Liege, Belgium (Chenee)
I think I mentioned I have letters from Belgium from early 1900 signed, your sister, Elizabeth and brother-in-law Guillaume (William)Bertrand and your niece Marie Bertrand.
I have no information about any of the famiy coming to the U.S. but that doesn't mean they didn't immigrate.
Louis and Adele Hougardy died in Wales. I have their death certificates. I have a cousin that travelled to Wales and photocopied many if not all records.
Thanks for possible help anyone can give me.

Bertrand

bdflaneur (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
I really am sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I'm not sure about a Belgium connection at all. A 1942 newspaper clipping of my great grandfathers obit, in Lewes, DE, had a story of my ggrandad coming to this country when he was a small boy to live with his grandfather william N Or M Bertrand. It said that he came here with his uncle, the uncle being a general in Napoleons army. It was said that he was accompanied by Jerome Bonaparte. The line of Bertrands I have may have had a connection to Belgium, but my search hasn't made the connection yet. your info was quite helpful, but I have only one female named Hester T Bertrand that was married to a Louis Bertrand. I'd really love to make a connection here. I have my own email address now. I"m not using my spouses. If you would let me know one way or anothr I'd appreciate it. Thanks Dawn

Bertrand in Napoleon's Army.

Posted: 23 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 7:06AM GMT
General Henri Bertrand Grand Marshall of France and Aide-de-camp to Napoleon was exiled to Alba and St Helens with Napoleon and was with him until he died. He returned to France and died there, according to history books.

Bertrands from France

B. Dawn Flaneur (View posts)
Received your message June 23, 2000 ...would be greatful for as much info that i can get..don't know if our Bertrands are the same line...Did you know of a Marshall Bertrand...Gustavis Bertrand...email me anytime..got very little information ... just family Bible. I know that Claude or Claus Bertrand was given the Legion of Honor. I also know he was Prvost Marshal at the Napoleon castle. I'm away from my home and my own computer until Aug. 2nd.. will check my email as I have to see if you've answered. Very anxious to hear from you. B. Dawn Flaneur..bdflaneur@altavista.com

Bertrands from France

Edited: 5 Jul 2001 7:06AM GMT
Surnames: Bertrands
Hi All,
My line of Bertrands came fron Grenoble, Dauphine Province, France.
Sgt Claude Bertrand was sent to French Army Post at Nachadouches, LA. in 1720.

I have some further info, some with backup and some speculation.

My e-mail is Bka199@Aol.com

Bill K. Anderson

offspring

B.Dawn Flaneur (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Is there any records of Henri Bertrand having any offspring? Was he called Eugene? Is there any journals written by him or anyone else while he and Napoleon were at Alba? Thanks for responding to my quiry..hope to hear from you. B. Dawn Flaneur

Re: offspring

Bertille G. Rascher (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2001 2:36PM GMT
Information was found in out of print book:

NAPOLEON AT ST. HELENA
The Journals of General Bertrand
January-May 1821

Deciphered and Annotated by Paul Fleuriot de Langle

Copyright, 1952, by Doubleday & Company, Inc.

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 52-5547

Page 257

CHILDREN OF THE GRAND MARECHAL - The Bertrands had five children:

Napoleon Born in 1808
Hortense Born In 1810 Married a THAYER
Died December 25, 1889
Henry Born December 06, 1811 at Trieste
When the General Marechal was Governor
General of Illyria
Arthur Born at Longwood January 1817
Adolph-Charles Henri-Francois
Born 1824

Bertrand and Fanny Dillon were married at St.-Leu on September 14, 1808 at the house of Queen Hortense.

According to another book I have - WHO WAS WHO IN THE NAPOLEONIC WARS- the Bertrand's had a son killed at Elba
It had to be either Napoleon or Henry.

Fanny was a child of Arthur Dillon and his second wife -
Mme. le Vassor de la Touche. Fanny was born on July 25, 1785 at the Chateau de Gontreil in the parish of Quevy-le-Grand.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.