Search for content in message boards

Old COLLINS homeplace - Vinegar Bend??

Old COLLINS homeplace - Vinegar Bend??

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 1:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COLLINS
I am trying to find out about the COLLINS Family that lived in, or near, Vinegar Bend AL in the late 1880's early 1900's. There was supposed to be a COLLINS homeplace there as late as the 1950'es + Does anyone know of a JOHN COLLINS through research in the area????

Any hints greatly appreciated,
Sally

Re: Old COLLINS homeplace - Vinegar Bend??

B. J. McNamara (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2006 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: COLLINS
Sally - I am a direct descendant of CHRISTOPHER C. COLLINS who moved into Mobile Co AL c1830. His wife, Rachel Hendrick, is last heard from in 1836 when she signed a release of property to their son, Jacob Collins. She signed this paper in Washington Co. Rachel is not listed with Christopher on the 1840 Mobile Co census and I have been unable to find her after 1836. She and Christopher may have been separated and possibly she was living with one of her sons (she had nine sons) in the Washington Co area. Please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 4:56PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Collins Patrick Daugherty
B.J. - I hope that we can help each other.

I have been trying for 30 years to identify the father of my son's great great grandfather = James Henry Patrick. James was b. 4-13-1861 AL or MS and d. 6-11-1929 in Calvert, Washington Co., AL He married 12-30-1887 Washington Co., AL to Ella Nora Johnston (1872-1941). Both James and Ella Nora are buried @ Calvert UMC Cem.

I knew some of James Henry Patrick children years ago - they all said what a fine man he was - a good man, but no one seemed to know where he came from. A grandson told me that a JOHN COLLINS was his father. Sure enough, when I got a copy of James' death certificate it gave his father as JOHN COLLINS and his mother as Martha Patrick. The informant was P.B. Patrick (son of James and father to the grandson who had also told me about John Collins.) P.B. had d. 1952 so I did not know him. The grandson said that his dad P.B. would talk aout the Old Collins homeplace in Vinegar Bend and had even taken him up there one time.
In the interim I have found only 1 census record to of James Henry as a single person. He (19 b. MS single)and his mother, Martha (55 b. MS widowed), are listed as Patricks on the 1880 US Federal Census in Clarke Co., MS. James's father's bp=AL. [Note: all records besides this one have James b. AL.]

I would love to know if one of the 9 sons of CC & Rachel Collins might be John Collins? and if so, would he be the father of James Henry Patrick?

Now ---- how can I help you with your research. I have additional research notes that I have collected over the years on Collins folks - mainly JOHNs. In fact might Jacob have been a John Jacob or a Jacob John?

There is also a very strong tie per family members to the Daugherty's ....

I look forad to hearing back from you - I was tickled that you posted a reply.

Sally in Springville, AL

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 5:07PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Yonge
There is also an Elisha L. Collins b. 4-22-1840 AL or MS d. 3-5-1887 prob Wash. Co., AL m 1-1-1972 Mary B. Yonge (1847-?) Is he connected to your CC & Rachel Collins?

martha (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2006 9:37PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2006 11:42AM GMT
Surnames: Patrick
Hello sally i grew up in calvert alabama. i know the patricks. thay lived not far from were i grew up. maybe i can help u send me and email and ill see what i can do. martha@millry.net

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Daugherty Patrick
Here's some interesting Daugherty/Patrick interactions: Louisa Ella Daugherty, daughter of Willis and Emmaline Daugherty of Washington county, married James Buchannon Patrick in Washington county in 1881. James and Louisa Patrick had a son, Buck, born abt 1896, who was killed in a knife fight by his first cousin, Stover Daugherty, on December 26, 1929 in Washington county.

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: Lambert, Baxter, Howard, Patrick, Hurley
Any idea who James Buchannon Patrick's parents were? His older sister Eliza was my great-great grandmother.

I know their mother was Nancy Patrick, but the dad is never in the picture on the census records. I think Nancy may have been a Harris, but I can't research further on the Patrick side because I don't know the dad's first name.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.