Search for content in message boards

Irvin born at Evenwood WVa 1909

Irvin born at Evenwood WVa 1909

Posted: 17 Dec 2001 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Irvin
My father, Lewis W. Irvin listed his birthplace as Evenwood, WVa. In place records, I found that Evenwood was in Raldolph County. If anyone has any info regardin this place or my father, I would appreciate hearing from them. His father was James Blaine Irvin born in Hazen, PA. My dad's mother died and his father remarried and lived at Cowen, WVa until his death. My dad left home at about 12-14 years of age, and since his father remarried a lady named Sylvia, I don't have much to go on. Thanks for your help and you can e-mail me at lbirgel@netscape.net.

Re: Irvin born at Evenwood WVa 1909

Jack (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2001 4:06AM GMT
Evenwood was a lumber town located about 12 miles east of the City of Elkins, on US Route 33, in Randolph County. The Raine and Andrews Lumber Company operated a mill there from 1904 until 1922. A history of the area states that about 200 Pennsylvanians were brought to Evenwood to work at the lumbering operations in the woods and at the mill. The population of Evenwood grew to over 1,000 in 1922. There is nothing left of Evenwood today.

The Randolph County marriage records shows James B. Irvin, age 22, born in Jefferson Co., PA; living in Randolph Co. married Alice Coats, age 17, born in Jefferson Co., PA; living in Randolph Co. on December 4, 1907.

Posted: 18 Dec 2001 3:12PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Irvin, Greathouse, Coats, Skidmore, McCoy
Thank you, Jack! This is my grandfather and my first link in finding out about his past. I am excited! I have found out about my grandmothers family on my mother's side. They are from the Skidmores from Braxton and Webster County. I have traced them bak to 1050 in England. Many books were written about them. Thanks again and I will contact you via e-mail, too. Linda Irvin Birgel

Posted: 22 Dec 2002 1:39PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2005 7:21PM GMT
Jack, have a new e-mail address. Going back over your message, how did you find this info? Is there a way to find out where James and Alice were born and their parent's names? I would appreciate all the help I can get. Happy Holidays! And, thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.