Search for content in message boards

Lets Link up our Bentham of Standish trees.

Lets Link up our Bentham of Standish trees.

Posted: 2 Jun 2007 9:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone.

Ive caught up with all the messages on the Bentham boards and there seems to be a lot of itty bitty information here and there, but it looks like we are all struggling to make the links.

As we have all worked very hard at this for over 4 or 5 years on the message board with regard to our own individual bentham tree and getting nowhere fast because of the monstrous number of Benthams from Standish/Langtree/Coppull/Wigan etc,I propose a little team work, why dont we all send our Bentham descendant trees to each other (oldest Bentham down)as a Ged file/family treemaker file (.ftw)

Then we can "merge" or at least layout in some sort of date order the families and cross reference it with the standish parish project and cross people who have been identified off the lists.

If anyone is interested email me at doggo@ntlworld.com, and anyone who mails me their Bentham tree will get mine in return and anyone elses who volunteers their Bentham tree, that way we can all work of the same hymm sheet and hopefully put the jigsaw together to reach our common goal.

I welcome any ideas regarding this suggestion and look forward to any replies.

I have now got my Benthams back to about 1710 with Henry and Jane Dicconson married 7 dec 1730(Children, William 1731, James 1733, Betty 1736, Anne 1738, John 1741, Margaret 1745, Jane 1748, Ellen 1752)

Also for those that didnt know prior to 1700 the Benthams in the parish records were recorded as Bentams, does anyone know why the H was added after 1700?

Best regards
Paul Doggett

Re: Lets Link up our Bentham of Standish trees.

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 11:35PM GMT
Hi!
A late addition to this site though the degree of research would indicate that I had been here as long as the Benthams in Standish! My grandma's maiden name was Dunn, her mother was Elizabeth Bentham, daughter of James Bentham and Elizabeth Brock. They married at Hutton Henry in Easington/Durham. She was only 15 and lived next to James in Cassop/Durham.James was the son of John and Harriet bentham (nee Wood)They were born in 1815, and 1813? respectively'

Posted: 22 Feb 2008 10:48AM GMT
Hi Paul,
As you can see from the date, my acknowledgement of your post is way after your date of posting! However, yes, you've guessed it, we're on the same quest. I have been really for about 20 years, sometimes more seriously than others. As i am a lancastrian, who has lived in the North east for 20 years, I find it fascinating to be able to view the places referred to on paper history.
I would be pleased to share my tree with you if it helps. The famous and infamous stories of old have passed down mine and many other lines, but there must be an inkling of truth somewhere along the line.
My links come through my maternal great grandmother Elzabeth Bentham (1876)born Cassop. She was the daughter of James Bentham (1845 Wigan) and Elizabeth Brooks/Brock. They were married at Hutton Henry near Easington.James was the son of John Bentham (b1815) Standish and Harriet Wood,b.1814 Manchester. Harriet worked at haigh hall and had her first child, father unnamed in 1840.
John's father, I believe was John and his mother, Betty, both born in standish.
There are many connections to other people's stories, especially through Mary Ann Bentham, another of James children.
Any use?
Just let me know
Cheers
Sue

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 2:50PM GMT
My ancestors were also from Standish
James Bentham born around 1800 married Elizabeth (Betty)Winstanley also born around 1800. the 1841 census has them living in Engine Row, in Standish. Their daughter Nancy married Pierce Broomhead, whose mother also had links with Haigh Hall.

looking forward to seeing the results of your research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.