thx!

Re: Looking for Dawson fam

RaQia (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2005 1:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: dawson, johnson, postell, lewis, green
I realize that I made a mistake: Bob Dawson was born in 1868, his parents were:
Dan Dawson b.1845
Crecy Dawson b.1846, who were also listed as farm workers born in Lowndesville, Abbeville, SC.
Sally/Sallie (Johnson) Dawson was Bob's wife. She is my g.g grand mother and she and Bob had 11 children:
Boston, Ed, Robert, Hattie (Dawson) Lewis, Rosa (Dawson) Postell, Mary (Dawson) Green, Floyd, twins Johnny and William C., Henry, and a girl who died at 3ys old, whom my g. grandfather William C. Dawson said they called Baby Sis.

I also know that Bob and Sallie lost their house/land in a fire in Abbeville and moved to Calhoun Falls, SC where they bought a farm and lived out there lives. The farm is now owned by Heny Johnson, a lineage relative of Sallie/Sally.

Posted: 26 Mar 2006 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson, John, Mcadams , Cleland, Hall, Johnson, Harmon
Hi,
I have entries of the Dawson name in a family Bible.
From the census it looks like they are from Diamond Hill, Abbeville, S.C.
Mallichi (sp) Dawson 9/18/1808
Martha Dawson 4/16/1835
James Dawson John 11/12/1856 died 1918
He married Nancy Cleland
Other names from the Bible are McAdams, Nicholson, Johnson, Hall, Harmon.
Do you have any of these names?
Jan

RaQia (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2006 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
Hi Jan,
I apologize for this very late response. I don't have any information in reference to those names, but I do know that Diamond Hill is very close to Lowndesville, Abbeville SC. and Dawson is a very concentrated name. I have a Flora Dawson (b.1787) from Ireland. Joseph Dawson(b. 1791) and Frances Dawson (b1804) from England and James Dawson (b. 1809) and Mary Dawson (b.1814) from Ireland. Joseph and James appear or Diamond Hill, Abbeville census papers (1810) but the rest seem to have stayed in Lowndesville, Abbeville-which is very close in proximity. I'm sure there is a connection here.
Are the ones in your bible related to you? I'll still researching this and will keep you informed of what I find out.-Thanks for posting and keep in touch :)

Dawson John L. Billy 1935-2010 Af-Am

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 2:13AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 19 Jan 2013 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Ramsey
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – A funeral service celebrating the life of Mr. John L. Billy Dawson, 75, will be held Saturday, December 11, 2010 at the First Calvary Baptist Church with the Rev. Clarence Glenn officiating.

Mr. Dawson was born Sept. 13, 1935, in Abbeville, South Carolina, a son of JB and Effie Ramsey Dawson coming to the Mahoning Valley many years ago.

He was formerly employed with Wean United Foundries where he served for over 40 years, retiring in 1999.

His wife, the former Mary L. Shaw, whom he married Dec. 8, 1956, died Jan. 1, 1997.

He enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren and traveling to Rogers Flea Market with his sisters.
He often spent his spare time fishing or tending to his garden. He was a dedicated husband, father, brother and friend. His loving and kind spirit will be missed by those who knew and loved him.

On Dec. 7, 2010, our heavenly Father cast his eternal light onto Forum Health Northside Medical Center and beckoned him home.

He leaves to cherish his memory, two loving daughters, Beverly A. and her husband, Charles Bailey of Youngstown, Ohio and Brenda L. Dawson, with whom he made his home; five sons, Micheal V. and his wife, Katherine Dawson, Bruce A. and his wife, Flora Dawson and Matthew J. Dawson, all of Youngstown, Ohio, John J. and his wife, Kim Dawson of Fredericksburg, Va. and Myron K. Dawson of Savannah, Ga.; seven sisters, Willie M. Hill, Katie Caige, Roberta and her husband, Charles Thompkins, Beverly Owens, Delores Dawson, Cheryl Dawson and Sharon Dawson, all of Youngstown; two brothers, David A. and his wife Joyce Dawson of Youngstown and David P. and his wife, Kennis Dawson of Columbia, S.C.; 19 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; and a host of other relatives and dear friends.

Besides his wife he was preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Beatrice and Lillie Dawson.

Friends may call Saturday one hour prior to services at the church.

Interment will be at Belmont Park Cemetery.

Condolences may be emailed to jewashton@aol.com or faxed to 330 782-2050.

http://www.vindy.com/news/tributes/2010/dec/10/john-l-billy-...

SISTER
YOUNGSTOWN – Services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013, at the L.E. Black, Phillips and Holden Funeral Home for Ms. Willie Mae “Big” Dawson Hill, 79, who passed away Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, at Caprice Health Care Center.

Ms. Hill was born Jan. 12, 1934, in Abbeyville, S.C., a daughter of J.B. and Effie G. Ramsey Dawson, coming to Youngstown as a child.

She was a 1952 graduate of South High School and had attended Penn Ohio Business College and Youngstown State University, receiving two degrees.

She had been employed as a secretary for Clarence’s Upholstery and Eagles Christian Child Care Center.

She was a faithful and devoted church worker in many churches and especially working with the Youth Department. She was a former member of the Tabernacle Baptist Church and was currently a member of the First Calvary Baptist Church, where she had served as Church Secretary, Sunday School Superintendent, and the Children’s Choir Director.

She leaves to cherish her memory, a son, Dante D. Bebbs; six sisters, Katie Cage, Roberta (Charles) Thompkins, Beverly Owens, Delores, Cheryl and Sharon Dawson, all of Youngstown; two brothers, David A. (Joyce) Dawson and David P. (Kennis) of Columbia, S.C.; four grandchildren; and a host of nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Alfred Hill, whom she married June of 1956, and who passed away in April of 1960; two sisters, her twin, Lillie Mae and Beatrice Dawson; and a brother, John L. Dawson.

Friends may call one hour prior to the services, from 10 to 11 a.m., at the funeral home.

Posted: 6 Jun 2011 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: DAWSON, WEEDEN,WHILDEN,WEELDON, BROWN
Hello,
I believe the DAWSONS were benefactors of my tri-racial family line of WEEDEN,WHILDEN,WEELDON/BROWN in Wilmington,
NC!!!!
I would LOVE to hear from you and am also most interested in your SUTTON info as that surname somehow connects to my line.
Most sincerely,
carol wheeldin warren.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.