William? Why he left his wife Mary with the
children and when? Thank you.

Re: William Spurgeon

Elise Kelly McClary (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2001 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:56PM GMT
Surnames: SPURGEON, LOVEDAY, KELLY
Our Spurgeon relatives are a pretty wild bunch. One was killed in a bank robbery in Sevierville (Sevier Co. seat) in the late 1800s. They are still pretty mean people. There have been robbers, murders and the like for as far as I can remember. One family of Spurgeons still lives at Wilhite, just down the road from where my dad lived. If you can get any further info on them without getting shot, I will applaud you. I am serious, too. My paternal grandmother, Dicie Pricilla Loveday Kelly, is the daughter of Callie Spurgeon and Eli Loveday. Callie and Eli were both born in 1865. He died in 1917 and she in 1918. They married when Callie was 13 and Eli was 14. Apprarently, they were very much in love and had a good life together. They had 9 kids and raised one of Eli's nephews. At least he lived with them a lot. Eli had cancer of the eye and that is what killed him. Callie died of grief over losing him less than a year after he died. I think they are buried at the Thomas Cemetery out there at Wilhite. I don't know why William changed his name or left his wife and kids. I don't know how they are related to my great grandmother either. It is hard to get info on the Spurgeons. They are some of the nicest AND some of the meanest people I have ever met. I tried to talk to the ones out there at Wilhite after Daddy died and they had guns out and asked me to leave. I was RAISED in Sevier County and they even know who I am and are RELATED to me, for God's sake. Email me at Gattenn@aol.com and we will talk more.

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 3:59AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: SPURGEON
This sounds like my family! I am not sure that I connect to the Sevier Co. Spurgeons. I have finally found my James Taylor Spurgeon, born 1855 in Cocke Co., Tn to a Margaret Spurgeon (Married name???Maiden name???) who also had two other sons, John and Thomas, also a daughter, Marinda or Miranda. This is the census info:

1870 Census Cocke Co., TN, Dist. 8, Newport P.O., Page 441A, HH# 50:

William Vincent, 96, Farmer, Value of Real Estate, 10,000, Value of Personal Estate, 1000, Delaware
Margaret Spurgeon, 30, Housekeeper, TN
James, 15, Laborer on Farm, TN
John, 12, Laborer on Farm, TN
Thomas, 7, TN
Miranda, 1, TN

Mr. Vincent's age on the census is clearly 90something that looks like a 6 but is unlike the other 6s on the page-but it is clear that the census states that he is 90something! The census states that he is deaf.

I have not found them in the 1860 census yet. I don't know where they were in 1860, but one of the son's death certificates states that his father was born in Cocke Co., TN and the info was given by the son of the son.

Actually, these Spurgeons sound like my particular ancestor, Charlie Spurgeon, who had some wonderful siblings. I never heard anything bad about his parents either. James, the father, died in 1905 when my grandfather was 14. So, maybe Charlie reverted back to some of his ancestors!!

Does any of your research or knowledge indicate that James might have been a desc of one of the Sevier Co Spurgeons?

Do you have any pictures? I have pics of James Taylor Spurgeon on my homepage at Family Tree Maker, URL:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/e/r/Colleen-Her...

Maybe we are related!

Mona

Mary Spurgeon (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2003 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: Spurgeon, Large
Mona,
I am married to your cousin, Larry Spurgeon, his father was Marvin Spurgeon, your father's brother. I really appreciate the information you have put on this site. I am searching also, am finding several different stories about Margaret (Large) Spurgeon.
By the way, we live in Albertville, AL if you live near there.

Posted: 3 May 2008 3:30AM GMT
Are you still interested in genealogy? Have you found anything else about the Spurgeons? I have gone as far as I can-can't find anything else[-the old people either did not know or would not tell any more.

Contact me when you have the time.

Mona

Posted: 3 May 2008 1:20PM GMT
I have a lot of info on this Spurgeon family, all the way back to William Spurgeon 1728 London, England. go to this site and you can find most of it posted by John J. Henry--
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op+DES&db=henryjj...

this is on rootsweb.com under Sevier County Gedcom and Mr. Henry's email is jhenry05@comcast.net or henryjj@bellsouth.net (I can't remember which one is his new one)

you can go to rootsweb.com and type in Drury Spurgeon 1806 NC1864 tn. wife Hannah Stokes, parents William & Elizabeth and you should get info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.