Search for content in message boards

Franz Schmidt

Franz Schmidt

Posted: 6 Dec 2008 10:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information on Franz Schmidt Birthdate Jan 20, 1889 give or take a year. He had a brother John and mother Anna. All the info that I have says he was born in Vienna LOWER AUSTRIA? I need to know how to get a birth record for him

Re: Franz Schmidt

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2008 1:46AM GMT
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but do you have any idea how many Franz Schmidts there might have been in Vienna born in that timeframe? You would need to know what religion they practiced, and if they were indeed from the large city of Vienna, in which area of the city they lived, in order to determine which church to contact.

What else do you know about him? Where did he settle when he emigrated? You should do some leg work in the area where he lived in his lifetime to come up with more information about him.

Posted: 7 Dec 2008 10:52AM GMT
I believe he was catholic, and the only thing I have as far as a phisical address is Vienna Lower Austria. He settled in Waco Texas with wife Anna Hutka Schmidt. I traced him as far as I can go here and now I need guidance on how to procede there

Posted: 7 Dec 2008 12:43PM GMT
ethnic background is listed as Bohemian

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2008 6:59PM GMT
The passenger record you reference indicates that his last residence was in Vienna, not where he was born. Also, that was struck out, and it indicates his last residence as USA. So, that means he had been in the US prior to his entry in 1914. It also indicates that he was married at the time, and he was a butcher by trade.

The 1930 Census indicates he is married to another woman:

Robstown, Nueces Co., Texas

Smith, Frank, Head, aged 40, married, at age 21, b. Austria, parents b. same, Bohemian, immigrated 1905, naturalized, meatcutter
Smith, Jennie, Wife, aged 36, married, at age 21, b. Austria, parents b. same, Boehmian, immigrated 1905
Smith, Frank Jr., Son, aged 17, single, b. Texas, laborer

I found a birth for a child to Francis Schmidt & Edna Hutta, but this is either a second marriage for him, or a son born to Frank Jr.

His WWI Draft Card gives his birth date as January 20, 1888, and that he was born in Vienna; a butcher by trade; it also indicates that he had been in the infantry in Austria as well. Believe it says 1/6 year (ie, 2 months). Dated 5 June 1917 in Waco.

Posted: 9 Dec 2008 7:17PM GMT
Thank you for your reply, that is all I have for him too. Both Franz and Anna came Feb 6,1912. He went back for a short time and came back in 1914. I suspect he may have went back for hhis fathers funeral because his mother was listed as his next of kin in Vienna Lower Austria. Do you know anything about the Meldezettel? Im going to view them from LDS

Posted: 9 Dec 2008 9:23PM GMT
Please notice the page which would show where he was born is missing as are all second pages for this ship found at Ancestry...

The military requirement for A-H Empire was 2 years of active duty beginning at age 22 and then 11 years of reserve status... so it is possible he did serve in the military prior to coming to the US.

I will once again suggest that d needs to order the microfilm from the LDS Family History Center... as I reported the issue to Ancestry and the gave me a canned answer that manifests were being added to blah, blah..

As I found all this weeks ago... this brings up the need for posters to indicate what they already have... it sure would save time for good sams :)

Robert

Posted: 8 Jan 2009 12:47PM GMT
I have new information for Franz Schmidt. Father: Karel, and Mother: Anna. He also had a brother named John

Posted: 8 Jan 2009 3:16PM GMT
dssmith1963

Bohemia(n) would be present Czech Republic.
Map of Bohemia:
http://feefhs.org/maps/AH/ah-bohem.html
Spelling Karel is used in Czech Republic
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~elainetmaddox/index...
www.genealogienetz.de/reg

Re: Schmidt, Hutka, Hutta

Posted: 8 Jan 2009 3:34PM GMT
HUTTA, HUTKA and SCHMIDT does list in Czech Republic's phone book.
http://phone.quick.cz
You do need to find a precise place of birth among US documents to proceed with the research "there" (old country).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.