Search for content in message boards

Brunson/Cotton (Cotten)

Brunson/Cotton (Cotten)

Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 2:12AM GMT
Surnames: Brunson, Cotton, Cotten

I am searching for info on Emily Brunson b: 1844? in Randolph Co. GA, married Seth Avin Cotton, had 6 children born in Ga and 2 in Dale Co, AL. Emily is listed on the 1870 Dale Co. census but not in 1900. I can find no info on Emily. Seth Avin is my gr grandfather. He is the son of Seth Avent also of Randolph Co. GA. and Dale, Coffee Co AL.
Thanks for any information on the Brunson or Cotton/Cotten families.

Re: Brunson/Cotton (Cotten)

P.J. STRICKLAND (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2001 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: COTTON-MARTIN-SHIELDS-BRAY
I am related to your Cotton line but my line is AVENT WESLEY COTTON. He was also born in Georgia but I wonder if he could have been SETH JOSEPH COTTON'S brother as he was born in 1811-1813 in Georgia and must have lived there until about 1838.
Anyway some of SETH JOSEPH'S family went to Texas between 1873-1880. Some of them came back to Dale Co. and are shown on the 1880 Census.
Some of the Texas Counties were Wood, Henderson, Montgomery, VanZantz and others. You might look on the Texas census at this site to see if any of your relatives show up.

Posted: 3 Aug 2002 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: Cotten, Youngblood
I am interested in this Cotton(en) line that moved from AL to Texas and possibly back. I have information on George Edward Cotten that was born in AL 1854 and moved to Texas and died in Runnels Co. I also know that George had several children born in Bell Co. Do you show any history of migrating to these areas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Carolyn Cotten Simmons

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 8:35PM GMT
Emily Brunson is the daughter of Jonathan and Rebecca Carter Brunson. They were married Jan. 15, 1843 in Randolph Co., Ga. They are in Randolph Co., Ga in 1850 and Dale Co., AL in 1860.

The Cottons and Brunsons moved from Randolph Co., Ga to Dale Co., AL and settled near Clayhatchee. By 1880, Jonathan had moved to Coffee Co., AL and lived about 2 miles south of Cool Springs church on the Enterprise - Bellwood Rd.

Randolph Co., GA: John J. Bronson, Richard Davis, $500.,5 Dec 1851.John J. Brunson admr of William C. Carter.

Nov. 1858 John J. purchased 120.11ac (4N, 23E, sec 36)

He was a charter member of the Cool Springs Baptist Church in Coffee Co, AL.

1900 census gives birth as Feb 1821

Census gives his birth as SC; Hayes listing says his headstone gives Stewart Co., Ga

From mail carrier Chapman's account in the "Enterprise Weekly" ; Pea River Trails, Summer 1993, Volume 18, number 2: "We come to the box of Sam Brunson, J.J. Brunson, J.J. Cordell, and Sconyer. Sam Brunson is the son of Uncle Johnny Brunson. Cordell and Sconyer are sons-in-law of Sam Brunson, all well-to-do farmers. Uncle Johnny Brunson is one of the old pioneers, and has raised a large family in this section an has done a great deal in holding up this country.

Seth Avin Cotton married Nancy Caroline Wilson in Dale Co., AL on Feb 27, 1886 so we can assume Emily had died.

Caroline Wilson's brother, Jonathan, married Emily Brunson's sister.

My notes on Jonathan Wilson:
Mustered at Greenville, AL March 13, 1862 with Capt. Horn's Co., AL Vols. This company became Co 'K' 33rd AL. He appears on a list of paroled confederate soldiers captured Sep, Oct, and Nov, 1862 who have reported to Braxton Bragg and were placed in a camp at Chattanooga., declared exchanged by telegram Jan. 11, 1863. He is sent to the hospital near Tyner's Station Aug 30, 1863, 10 miles NE of Chattanooga. Still in the hospital in Oct and the date is given as Aug 25th when he was sent there. A muster at Rome, Ga dated Oct 31, 1863 shows he is at a convalescent hospital there. He is still at the hospital in Dec. 1863. An undated muster shows him in Rome, Ga. I think the regiment was just showing he had been sent to the hospital and may have been unaware that he had been moved to another hospital. A Jonathan Wilson of Co 'K' 33rd AL is at Saint Mary's Hospital in West Point, Ms on Jan. 11, 1865. He has chilblain's disease.

In 1891 Jonathan bought section 14, T3N R22E. Jonathan was the first person to "own" the land which Cool Springs Baptist Church stands on and is buried there. An old map indicates there was a school on the west side of the road at one time.

Jonathan lived in a house close to the church, to the south, that burned in the 1940's.

A daughter of Seth Avin and Emily Brunson Cotton, Daniel Ella Cotton, married the brother of Jonathan Wilson, George Wilburn Wilson.

Jonathan Wilson is listed as J. W. Wilson on findagrave at Cool Springs. Seth Avin Cotton is buried at Prividence in Clayhatchee. George Wilburn and Danile Ella Cotton Wilson are buried at Eunola, Geneva Co., AL.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.