Search for content in message boards

TOBIN, Mary 1834 MA and parents from Ireland

TOBIN, Mary 1834 MA and parents from Ireland

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tobin, Miles
Hello all,

I am currently doing research on my Miles family history and would like to find out anything that I can about
Mary Tobin (b:1834)and her Irish roots. She married into my Miles family through my gg-grandfather, Daniel R. Miles.

Mary Tobin
b: 1834 in Mass, USA
M: Daniel R. Miles abt 1854 in PA, USA
d: between 1870 and 1875 in Wisconsin

All three of her children were born in Wisconsin 1858-1865
Moses Miles
William Miles
Thomas Henry Miles (my ancestor)

The 1860 census record for LaFayette, WI lists Daniel R. Miles and wife Mary Tobin living there with their three children, and there was also a 63 year old Catherine Tobin and an 18 year old Alice Tobin living in the home. It is believed that Catherine Tobin is Mary's mother and Catherine's birth place is listed as Ireland. Alice is thought to be a niece or cousin of Mary Tobin. Alice Tobin's birthplace is listed as Wisconsin.

Another source (I don't recall but can look it up) shows that Mary Tobin's parents are Thomas Tobin and Catherine Tobin from Ireland.

Does anyone else have a Tobin line that imigrated from Ireland to MA, USA between 1795 and 1834?
Do these name fit anyone's trees?
Catherine Tobin (unknown maiden name) abt 1797
Thomas Tobin of similar age range
Mary Tobin 1834
Alice Tobin 1842

Re: TOBIN, Mary 1834 MA and parents from Ireland

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tobin, Sherry,
Stephanie,
I can’t be of a lot of help but thought I would ask if you have worked with the Wisconsin Historical Society in Madison, Wisconsin, or the Milwaukee Historical Society. Both have extensive collections.
There was a very large Irish population in Milwaukee in the 1800’s but many moved away after a major fire destroyed the Irish neighborhood. The family you are looking for may have lived in Milwaukee at one time. There are quite a few Tobin families in Wisconsin.
I am from the Tobin’s of Waukegan, Illinois (just across the state line) though now residing in Wisconsin. My family tree has an Alice Tobin b1834, however, her maiden name was Allice Sherry and she came from the UK. She married my great grandfather in 1862 in Waukegan. I have seen Alice spelled with two L's (Allice) which you may want to use in quiries.
Gerald Tobin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.