Search for content in message boards

seeing pictures and files after free trail

seeing pictures and files after free trail

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have found lots of pictures of my family on here..If I do not subscribe will I still be able to see these pictures after my free trail is up?

Re: seeing pictures and files after free trail

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 12:24AM GMT
Only if they have been copied to your own tree (and ALWAYS ask before copying from another tree) or are on a tree you have been invited to view.

Non-paying members don't have access to public trees except for their own.

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 1:48AM GMT
A good reason to have your tree in FTM 2010 or later. All images on your local hard drive.

Regards,

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 2:29AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2012 2:36AM GMT
tnm4ever,

2 weeks is not enough time to get a grip on how this site works.

1) You don't lose access to your tree if you don't pay to subscribe. As mentioned by AGH, you can see your whatever media (pictures) you attached from other trees to your tree. If you attached links to transcribed records from Ancestry databases (like the census), those will no longer take you to the document, you'll go to a "subscribe now" page. If you pay to play again, those links come alive.

2) While "nice" to ask for permission to copy a photo in a public tree, if it's been copied by others, I wouldn't bother. Even experienced users can have a difficult time tracking down the tree owner who first mounted the pic. Someone chose to make it public on the site.

If you were invited to a private tree, ask first.

3) FOR FREE, you can still snoop around Ancestry public member trees by going to the sister site, mundia.com. Sign on to this site using your Ancestry user name and password.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 8:20PM GMT
Its ok to borrow pictures from others' trees. As a paid subscriber of many years,I do agree,thats why I put the pictures up...to share.I only get annoyed when someone does the 2 week trial,post a tree without confirming info.We end up with false information all-over the place. And when someone sees fit to absolutely Rape and Pillage your work that took HOURS to upload from your own personal pics etc,and then make their tree Private.Its Taking,and Not Giving.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT
Wait for it .....

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 9:20PM GMT
Questions for IrvinGirl:

How do you know if someone is on a 2 week trial?

How do YOU end up with false information?

Private trees are a choice; are you trying to infringe on someone's freedom?

I think your "Rape" analogy absolutely SUCKS.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 3:34PM GMT
I didnt end up with False information. My information is verified. Others end up with False info,and put it in a tree without verification. And maybe the Rape analogy was a bit strong,but its still true.Too many take,and are not willing to Share.I was posting a thought,that Im sure other researchers have felt at times,but thanx for the attempted scolding.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 3:39PM GMT
Have you ever tried to contact a private tree owner?

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 3:58PM GMT
Sure I have! The Diplomatic approach doesnt always work.Ive also tried having a tree looked at by the folks at Ancestry because I had someone actually remove both of my Grandparents from my tree,and insert their own grandparents,to create a new tree.That person has not had any activity in over a year.Now my Grandfather has a NEW Brother,and a New Wife as well.And people Are adding that info to their trees.I even did some digging to help this person find their "correct family" and no reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.