Search for content in message boards

Asher MILLER of Cedar Falls, IA

Asher MILLER of Cedar Falls, IA

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was in an antique mall yesterday and ran across some wonderful photographs of Asher MILLER'S family. One is of Catherine Miller, Harriet Miller WILSON, her son and infant grandson. It is noted that Catherine MILLER is the wife of Asher, b. 1793 who is the brother of Amos, b. 1809. I found another photo of Henry MILLER, son of Asher. Both in good condition. I thought it sad that they made into a basket in an antique shop, so I bought them in hopes of finding family.

Re: Asher MILLER of Cedar Falls, IA

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 1:19PM GMT
I just realized that several of photo I bought taken in Rockford, Illinois of the same MILLER family as above. One is of Asher, another of Amos's daughters, one of Amos's cousin, Nancy HERRING, and one of Mary Miller Ware, Amos's sister.

Posted: 31 Jan 2009 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: Mowers, Miller, Roadman
Hello,
I believe that the Catherine Miller who is listed as wife of Asher Miller is Catherine Mowers. She was the youngest daughter of Peter Mower, my great, great, great grandfather and a veteran of the Revolutionary war. Catherine is therefore a Real Daughter Of the American Revolution. Afte Asher died she married William Roadman. They are buried in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I was wondering if you had any further information on Catherine or Asher.
Thank you,
John Carmody
Rome, N.Y.

Posted: 31 Jan 2009 9:35PM GMT
I'm sorry, I don't have any more information. I passed the photo along to someone a long time ago.

Good luck,

C. David

Posted: 1 Feb 2009 5:22PM GMT
John,

Can you tell me who Asher, Amos and Mary Miller descend from and/or where in CT Asher was born? Also, was Asher's marriage to Catherine a second marriage?

Lucy Miller Butko

Posted: 1 Feb 2009 6:56PM GMT
Hello Lucy!
Thanks for responding. I do not know much at this time about Asher Miller's descendants or ancestors. Our family always knew that Catherine Mowers was married to him. I have been trying to find more information for years which eventually led to my finding that Catherine had a second husband, William Roadman. They are both buried in Fairview Cemetery in Cedar Falls, Iowa. She is listed as a Real Daughter of the Revolution under the name Roadman. The Iowa graves project lists her as Catherine Mower Miller Roadman. I have not checked yet but I bet Asher is buried in the same cemetery. I also believe that Asher's first wife was named Melinda. At Twitchell Cemetery, Town of Veron, Oneida County, N.Y. there is listed a "Melinda Miller, wife of Asher Miller, died Aug. 25, 1838 aged 32 years." But there is no Asher there. Our family also believes that Asher was a veteran of the War of 1812. I have a lot of information on the Mowers as I am descended from Catherine's father, Peter Mower. I am willing to send it to you if you desire. Are you possibly the person who received the pictures of Catherine and Asher?
Thank you,
John Carmody
Rome, N.Y.

Posted: 1 Feb 2009 6:58PM GMT
C. David,
Thank you very much for responding!
John Carmody

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 5:22PM GMT
Hi John,

According to WPA Iowa Cemetery Records, Asher died 26 Sep 1867 (74yr 4m 16d) and is buried in Fairfield Section 5 Cemetery, Fairfield, Grundy County, Iowa. It lists him as the son of Eliakim and Rhoda (Pratt) Miller.

Have been busy unraveling all the Asher, Amos, Luther, Giles, Anson Millers since I wrote you. Think I have them somewhat straight now but will have to get back to you.

Lucy

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 2:04AM GMT
Lucy,
Eliakim and Rhoda Miller are buried in the Wiffin cemetery in Annsville, Oneida County, N.Y. They are buried next to Catherine's parents (my great, great, great grandparents) Peter and Magdalena Mower. Both Peter and Eliakim were veterans of the Revolution. I never made the Miller connection to Asher Miller before but now I know how Asher and catherine knew each other. Wow!
John

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 4:19AM GMT
John,
I found the Whiffin Cemetery at the Oneida Rootweb site, as well as Find A Grave, and saw the Mower family buried there.

The Nunan family is also connected. I believe Olive Nunan was a Miller as Mrs Nunan is listed as a sibling in one of the obits or articles I found, but offhand I'm can't remember which is the correct Miller family, since I've been researching several Asher Millers and their families and I can't find the article at this minute. You probably know some or all of this, but Joseph and Lydia Stow Miller had four sons who went to Oneida County, Eliakim, Smith, Dan, and Luther. Eliakim had Asher, Amos, and a Luther amongst others. Luther, brother of Eliakim, had Asher, Anson S.(Stow), Giles, and Cyrus F. (Fellows) Miller. There were nine children in Luther's family. Luther's sons were in Winnebago as were some of Eliakim's sons.

All of these Millers descend from Thomas Miller and Sarah Nettleton in Middletown, Middlesex County, CT.

Thank you for your original post. It got me digging into and sorting some people I knew had to belong to Thomas Miller's family, but I just hadn't found or made the proper connections.
Lucy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.