Search for content in message boards

Missing "add to my tree button"

Missing "add to my tree button"

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know this subject has come up before. Ancestry tells me the button is missing for me on certain trees because the tree is marked as private.

But if a person with a private tree has invited me, it seems I should be able to have that button to save images. All the missing button means is that I have to save the image to my hard drive and then upload it myself - now the credit to the original poster is lost.

I can see where privacy is a complicated issue. If my tree is not private and I have saved from a private tree - that image now becomes public. In fact, I think allowing the "add to me tree" button would then allow Ancestry to track where the image originally came from and continue to know if it is private. If I'm forced to save the image and upload, now the privacy setting is gone.

Re: Missing "add to my tree button"

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 9:18PM GMT
You're not "forced" to do anything. If you're going to disrespect the owner of a private tree - who generously sent you an invitation - by taking items from their tree and reposting them publicly, you shouldn't expect any help from Ancestry.

On the other hand, if you do insist on ripping off someone's private tree, you can easily give them credit in the description box.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:14PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2012 11:14PM GMT
First, make sure it is okay with tree owner for you to copy media from their private tree. If not, respect that by not publishing anything from their tree to yours either with tools available on ancestry to it, or by downloading and then uploading to your tree.

Assuming the tree owner has no objection, when looking at the person who has media attached that you are interested in, use the link to "save this person to your tree, then select from the list of people already in your tree. Once you make the connection, their media will show up as hints for the same person in your tree.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:42PM GMT
A change was made - about May 2012 - where "add this to my tree" disappeared from private trees even for those invited.

I know this with a high degree of certainty, because I invited a cousin to view my private tree, and she copied 158 items in an afternoon. That is not possible without "add this to my tree," and if someone saves to their hard drive and then adds to their tree, you do not see that they have copied.

That option is no longer available on private trees - there are other threads where this has been discussed at length. I have verified with other invitees to my private tree.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:59PM GMT
I have no problem adding media from a private tree to my tree using the method I described, and many people have added media from my private tree to theirs using the method I described. The "add to my tree" button is not available when viewing the media, but the link to "add this person to your tree" is most certainly there on the profile/timeline page for an individual - at least in my tree and the private trees I have access to. I first learned about it from support, well over a year ago, when the orange button disappeared, and it was posted by other users to several threads on the topic as well.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 12:23AM GMT
Attached clip from a private tree to which I am invited. Exactly where do you see that I could add this person/image to my tree?

Don't care to, don't want to, but since you seem so sure, please do point out that button I am missing. Perhaps your eyesight is better than mine.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:24AM GMT
Don't see a screenshot attached, but since you seem to be so sure I don't know what I am talking about, here is a clip from a private tree to which I am invited to, as a guest. Note the link that says "add this person to your tree." Your mileage may vary. I can only speak to how I have been able to share media with those people who I share my tree with and who share theirs with me.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:25AM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 12:26AM GMT
Now that you have added the clip, I can see that you are on the media page. I suggest you go to the person's profile/timeline page as suggested in my initial post. You will see the "save this person to your tree" link. Once done, the media for that person will show as hints in your tree.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:31AM GMT
And please explain to me - happy to learn from someone so obviously knowledgeable - why I would want to have someone in my tree twice?

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:50AM GMT
Your sarcasm is really quite astounding.

For the benefit of anyone reading who might actually care to know, once you click the link, you are given the option of selecting someone already in your tree. Making the connection does not alter any of your data for individual, it merely makes a "member connection" between the people in both trees and brings up any records/media attached in the other tree as "hints" for the same person in your tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.