Search for content in message boards

Rueben Neff

Rueben Neff

Posted: 20 Feb 2000 1:38PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2002 3:31AM GMT
I've made little progress in finding information beyond my grandfather Ralph Neff. I do now know that my GGrandfather Rueben Neff was married to Esther Naylor and they had Ralph Neff in Grays Lake Ill in 1899. If anyone has any connection or information, please help me out.

Reuben Neff

Pete Neff,Tacoma Wa. (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 4:16PM GMT
Reuben Lorne Neff b. Mar.29th 1881,Wainfleet
Ontario,Canada d.Dec.01,1969 Port Colburn,Ont
was my Great grand father.

Rueben Neff

Posted: 14 Apr 2000 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2002 3:31AM GMT
Thanks for the reply but I have now found information that my Rueben Neff is actually spelled Rubin and he was born in NY in May 1850. This was the result of some research into the 1900 census that was taken while Rubin lived in Illinois.

charles neff

coby (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2000 10:33PM GMT
by any chance are you related to charles neff i think he married a martha swint they had my grandmother and put her up for adoption at the foss home in tacoma the home burnt down with the records. we know she was adopted out as a indian or mixed indian child.any imfo would be great.thank you coby eddy

Re: Reuben Neff

Jim Neff (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2002 7:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neff, Warren, Hendry
Pete,

Ruben Lorne Neff was also my grandfather (I show his DOB as 28 Mar 1881 in Lowbanks, ON and his DOD as 1 Dec 1969 in Toronto, ON). Unless you are the son of my uncle Ralph's son (Kenneth or perhaps Walter Lorne), I suspect your great grandmother was not Mary Josephine Warren. I know Ruben Lorne married 2-3 times:

1) Mary Josephine Warren (Amherstburg, ON, 8Jan1908)
2) Mary Josephine ??????
3) Mary Hendry (born Toronto)

I suspect 2) & 3) are one and the same but I am not sure. Do not know if there are any other children from 2) or 3). Perhaps you can shed some light on this?

I have lots of info on the Neff line but absolutely nothing on the Warren or Hendry lines.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jim Neff
PS I have pictures of Reben Lorne if you're interested

Ken Neff (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2002 3:02PM GMT
This is interesting to say the least. My information has Reuben born in 1850 and is buried in Racine,WI. However, my grandfather is Ralph Neff. I would like to stay in touch and explore this further because the sketchy info I have on G.grandpa Reuben is that he came from Canada into the U.S. and his wife was of native american descent.

Jim Neff (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 2:02AM GMT
Surnames: Neff
Ken,

What a coincidence! Sounds like we have two different Neff lines with a Ken, Ralph, Reuben connection. I'm sure of my grandfather's DOB & DOD and can also confirm he died in Canada. My uncle Ralph is actually Joseph Ralph. The progression up the Neff line goes: Ruben Lorne, Reuben, Martin, Heinrich, Abraham, Henry, Franz. Their wifes were Mary Josephine Warren, Annette Michener, Esther Fretz, Rachael Morningstar, Catherine Schrodder, Magdalena Schantz, Barbara Eby.

I've noticed the Neff's have some favorite names that keep repeating over and over. Up until now I thought Reuben/Ruben was not that common.

Jim Neff

Ken Neff (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 6:51PM GMT
I also thought Rueben was unusual and it would make it easier to locate some info on him. I'm kind of at a standstill for now until I get more time to go more indepth.

Jim Neff (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Neff, Morningstar
Ken,

A new development. I managed to contact Pete Neff (the one who responded to you 2 years ago with details of Reuben Lorne Neff). It turns out we are 2nd cousins and the Reuben Pete listed was not his great grandfather but my grandfather. Reuben Lorne's father (also Pete's great grandfather) was also a Reuben. He was born 30 Sep 1847 and died 30 Jul 1938. I know he was born in Ontario but have no idea where he died. Perhaps in the US.

Here's the 2nd interesting point. Pete also has info on Reuben and the Morningstars. He couldn't put his finger on the document but he thought their was native Indian blood in the family line through a Morningstar who was supposed to be a princess. I have come across references to Rachael Morningstar as well as Maria Morningstar. Most research by others indicates Reuben's father was Martin Neff who married Rachael Morningstar. I have also seen a reference in the Zavitz database (by David Zavitz) that indicates Martin's parents were Peter Neff & Maria Morningstar. Either way the Morningstars would figure in the line. It is also generally believed that the Morningstar name is derived from the Morgenstern name (another family of German descent). But Morningstar also sounds like an excellent native Indian name. I wonder? So, far I have not had any luck trying to confirm the parents of Martin Neff.

What else can you tell me of your family? Any other names or dates? 1847 is awfully close to 1850 for Reuben's DOB. Also very interesting to see Reuben, Ralph & Kenneth in both lines plus a good possibility of a marriage to a native Indian. All this could be more than just a coincidence.

Jim

Re: Rueben Neff

Posted: 6 May 2013 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: Neff
One of my great grandfathers was named Ralph Neff. I can't find anything on his parents or birth. All I know is that he married Mattie Clement in Louisville IL in 1928. They had four kids: James, Robert, Ella and Nancy. I believe he died in 1955 and was born around 1900.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.