Search for content in message boards

McKelvey in N.J., N.Y., California, and Australia

McKelvey in N.J., N.Y., California, and Australia

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 7:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
William McKelvey born Killyleagh, County Down, Northern Ireland b.1837 son of John & Ann Orr McKelvey (nee McGiffert)and migrated to Melbourne, Australia 1856- my GG Grandfather.

The following of his siblings migrated to the USA:

Rev. Alexander McKelvey based his life in N.J. (married Hannah Maria Byram and had 4 children, can't find info on his last surviving child Rev. Joseph Orr McKelvey who was last living in California around 1930);

Agness McKelvey N.J. (lived with Alexander's family until her death);

Joseph McKelvey N.Y. (Married and had children one of which I know to be Jack A. McKelvey who had a company J.A. McKelvey & Co Cotton Goods in N.Y. in 1914), divorced and relocated to Australia dying here in 1914;

Mary Murdock nee McKelvey (married Samuel Murdock in Killyleagh Ireland where they had about 12 children. Later they migrated to California. I believe I have found one of their children, Gawn Worth Murdock who died in California).

Can Anyone help with info.

Cheers,
Claude McKelvey

Re: McKelvey in N.J., N.Y., California, and Australia

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: McKelvey - Murdock
Gawn Worth Murdock b. 6 May 1846 Killinchy, County Down, Ireland was my husbands g-grandfather. He lived in Orland (Glenn County) & Oakland (Alameda) CA. after migrating with his family from Ireland. He was the son of Samuel b. 1824 Killinchy,and Mary (McKelvey b.1828) Murdock. Samuel and Mary m 26 Dec 1845 in Killyleagh, Co. Down, Ireland and had 5 known children of which Gawn Worth Murdock was the oldest. Do not have much information on Mary McKelvey Murdock, but do have a lot on her husband Samuel Murdocks family. Would like to exchange info??????

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 3:40AM GMT
Hi There,

Many thanks for the response. I would be interested in collaborating but most of my knowledge is limited to the time spent in Ireland. There is some info on the LDS Familysearch listings I think deposited by a Melinda Herzog, one of the surnames I think your profile says you are researching. Do you have any idea of a date/year when Gawn Worth's family arrived in the USA?

Cheers,
Claude

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 5:18AM GMT
IMMIGRATED: Samuel Murdock came to United States between 1848-1850 and settled near Little Rock Arkensas for 1 year. Them moved to New York State for 6 years, then to California in 1857. Settled in Colusi Co.,eventually that part of Colusi (Colusa) became Glenn Co. settled on what is now (year 1931) the Reed Ranch on Ord Bend River and there he raised stock and farmed. Samuel was illeterate, could not read or write english.

BOOK - COLUSA COUNTY - It's history and resources- printed Orland 1891 by Justtus H. Rogers. found Orland library Sept 2005
Ref. # R-979.433R.
Pg. 249 - April 1 1889 - Samuel Murdock died at the residence of his son G.W. Murdock, near Orland. He was an early settler of the county and was sixty-four years old.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
BURIAL: It has not been determined at this time (1995) where Samuel is buried. If he is buried in the Graves Cemetery near Olimpo (Colusa/Glenn Co.), near Orland, which is a good possibility, there is no head-stone or marker for him. He may have been buried on his son's (Gawn Worth Murdock) ranch of vast acres in that county.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Hope this clears up some of your questions.
Melinda Herzog Landrith

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 1:08PM GMT
Hi Melinda,

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, I do believe recall that you were listed on the LDS as the source of the information regarding Samuel and Mary Murdoch (nee McKelvey). I did try and find you many moons ago but without sucess. I do believe that another Australian relative of mine, John and Nancye McKelvey did make contact with you quite some years ago now. I have mainly been researching the Australian line of the McKelvey family but that lead me to researching the connections in the US. There are still a number of family connections that remain unfinalised including Mary Murdock (nee McKelvey)...do you know if she actually emigrated to the US. I would like to send you the information I have gathered to see if you could help fill in the gaps, if you are interested please email me on mtgarnet@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Claude McKelvey

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 2:16PM GMT
Hi Melinda,

I came across the attached document titled 'Lingenfelter Archives' years ago on the internet but I can't recall under what web site. At the time I was searching for any mention of Samuel Murdock and Mary McKelvey and the gain a mention twice in this document through the marriage of two of teir children.

On page 6, in the second column, it is noted that Mary Helen Ashurst (daughter of Robert Ashurst & Elizabeth Bates) marries G. W. Murdock (who I assume is the same Gawn Worth as your ancestor) at Colusa on May 23 1869.

On page 7, in first column, Cain Campbell Bates Ashurst married Mary Ann Murdock at Tehama on Feb. 11 1865.

From what I have been able to discover to date, my g.g.grandfather William, who emigrated to Melbourne from killyleagh in 1856 had about 11 siblings. I know that besides Mary, another brother, Alexander, and a sister, Agnes, migrated to the US. They basically settled exclusively in the NY and NJ area. Agnes died as a spinster while living with her brother Alexander's family and as far as I can ascertain Alexander's line has died out.

The last child of Rev. Alexander's (he was a minister in both the Presbyterian & Reformed churches) was Rev. Joseph Orr McKelvey, who was married to Florence. Joseph's 3 other siblings died without any children. He was a minister in Claremont, California, when his father died in NJ in 1908. In 1917 he made a Passport application and he was then living back in Plainfield, New Jersey where he was a Presbyterian Minister. I believe I have found him in the Us Census of 1900 (Plainfield, NJ), 1920 (Somerset NJ) and then 1930 (Los Angeles, CA) and in all those there are no children listed. I have yet to find a record of their death to check if there were any children.

There is another McKelvey line represented in the US, that of my g.g.grandfather William's brother Joseph. It was originally thought he too went to the US and married and settled in NY and following a divorce moved late in life to Australia to settle at Apollo Bay where his brother resided. I have found though that Joseph married in Ireland to Agusta Fryar and sometime after 3 children were born he left and ventured to Australia. It was his first born son John (Jack) Augustus McKelvey b. 1870 who emigrated to NY. I have found a number of records being passport records and shipping records on him which all appear to indicate he never married or had any children, however, I have yet to find a death record to confirm that.

Anyway, I am probably boring you now so I best go and will hopefully catch up with you soon.

Ooops, I just discovered the file I am trying to attach to the message for you is not accepted as it is in PDF format. Will have to try another time!

Cheers,
Claude McKelvey.

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 1:25PM GMT
Hi Melinda,

Please find attached the record that I mentioned in my message of 18 September. It is from something called the Lingenfelter Archives. Refer to my message of the 18th to see where to find the references to the Murdock's.

Cheers,
Claude McKelvey
Attachments:

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 1:42PM GMT
Hmm, I don't think the attachment worked in the last message so I went on the internet and found the link to the document I am rattling on about

http://www.csuchico.edu/lbib/spc/lingenfelter/A/ling_a3.PDF

Cheers,
Claude McKelvey

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 6:27PM GMT
Attachment came in great. The information came from Tehama County Pioneers by Keith Lingenfelter. I also found this sometime back and lost where I got it. The book is held in Chico (University of California - Chico) College. I do find a few mistakes however in the Murdock part. G.W. (Gawn Worth) and Mary C. (Mary Helen) Ashursts son was not Edward but Edmuund Richardson Murdock. Much of the info. is correct. I will be gone for 4 days.... Will go over the info. while gone. Will return 26th Sept. Will not have computer access while gone........... Thanks for the info.

Posted: 26 Nov 2011 9:51AM GMT
Edited: 26 Nov 2011 9:52AM GMT
Hi Melinda,

Been a bit busy of late but have now found some time to get back into the research. I think I said in my last post that I am wondering whether Mary Murdock (nee McKelvey)made it to the USA with husband Samuel. I was doing a check of gravestone inscriptions for County Down, see link below. If you scroll down about a third there is a Gawn Murdock died Killyleagh, I wonder if he is a relative who Gawn Worth may have been named after?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.