POKARNEY SURNAME

Pokorney

Thomas Brabec (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pokorney, Brabec
Dear Holly:
Sorry,I don't know anything about the names you mentioned
but I noticed that you have their date of birth and place.
The three essentials for beginning research are those items
If you have just a name and date but no location it is impossible to begin.The only info I had about the dad were
those three items and I spent six months on the internet
exchanging e-mails and learned not one thing more of him.
The internet is a fine place to meet people but zero for
info.Here is my experience.While browsing I came across a
Czech website that advertised their research company for
$15.00 an hour.To shorten the story,I contracted with them
and,although it took four months,they sent me ten pages of
data going back to 1800.Now,with this info as a guide,my
good neighbor who purchased fifteen of the Broderbund Co.
disks,went back to 1610.So,now I have a straight line
family tree from 1610 to the present.The Czech Co. is in
Prague and they charged me $215.00 and it was well worth it.
If this reaches you ,please acknowlege receipt,and I will
send you the info.God love you and yours.
Thomas Brabec-----rtbrabec@earthlink.net
63 Arthur Dr.
Santa Rosa,Ca.95403

POKARNEY SURNAME

Posted: 17 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2004 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: POKARNEY, YEDLICKA, JEDLICKA
Searching for family of Joseph POKARNEY, born Dec 30, 1855 in Dobriev, Bohemia. Married Meri(Mary) Jedlicka (YEDLICKA) June 1881. Mary was born Sept. 3 1862 in Dobriev, Bohemia.Joseph came to the U.S.A. in July 1881, Mary followed a year later. They settled in Patterson, New Jersey, moved to Pennsylvania, Iowa & finally settling in Montana. They had ten children, Frank, Emma, Anna, Stepha Nellie, Joseph Jr., Rose, Margretta, James, Genevieve and Elsie.
Joseph and his father were supposedly Glass Blowers in Bohemia. Know nothing more about who Joseph's and Mary's parents, siblings, ect. Any info would be appretiated. Thankyou.

Re: POKARNEY SURNAME

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Yedlicka-Pokarney
My paternal grandmother, Elsie Juanita Yedlicka Bonawitz, was the child of James and Marie Yedlicka, who immigrated to the US from Bohemia with the Pokarney family. In fact, my oldest great aunt, Barbara, was born before the family left Bohemia and later married one of the Pokarney boys. I'm sorry, but I don't know which one.

I'd love to know more about the Pokarney family as well as any information you have about the Yedlicka family. My cousins Jim and Edward currently own the original Pokarney homestead. James lives in the old Pokarney home.

Jack Bonawitz

Posted: 16 Apr 2004 5:30AM GMT
Dear Jack,

Barbara Yedlicka married my great-grandfather, Frank Henry Pokarney. I remember my great-grandmother, Barbara, from visits to Great Falls, MT, when I was very young. Frank died in 1955, but Grandma Barbara lived until 1969. I have a great family photo of the Pokarney family, when Grandpa Frank was a young man, with his parents and siblings all together. I also have Frank and Barbara's wedding photo, as well as a photo of my father, George, as a baby, with his paternal great grandparents, who must be Joseph and Meri (Maria?) Pokarney.

I remember my paternal grandmother, Gladys, telling me that the Pokarney family had emigrated from Bohemia to Pennsylvania, eventually ending up in Montana. I only knew about them living in Great Falls, MT.

There must be quite a large number of Pokarneys around now, as Frank was one of ten children, though only three of them were male. I don't know much at all about the Yedlicka side of our family. Hope this helps.

Posted: 17 Mar 2005 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Polarney/Swallow
I have a Margaret (Mag) Pokarney who came from Fromberg, Carbon County MT and married Clarence Swallow. They lived in Thermopolis Wyoming in and had two children in the early 1900s: Clarence and Margaret.
Does this fit your Pokarney family?

Holly Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2005 12:36AM GMT
Hi, Carol, I found a note from a cousin, his grandmother was Emma (Sally) Pokarney who married John Buzzetti. I can't find his dad's name, but in an e-mail he mentioned a cousin Margaret Swallow who recently passed away.This e-mail was 12/99 so it's been a while. So it looks like we have a connection. Let me know what you have & I'll dig a little deeper.
Thanks Holly

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: Pokarney/Swallow/Scott
Margaret Swallow Scott was my grandmother and she did pass away in 1999.
Her parents were Frank Edward "Bud" Swallow and Margretta Harriet Pokarney. What do you think?

Holly Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2005 3:03PM GMT
Margretta Harriot Pokarney was my ggr grandmothers sister (Anna Elizabeth Pokarney). Anna married James Miller they had 11 children. Anna was born in 1886, d. 1973.

Posted: 24 Mar 2005 5:17AM GMT
Surnames: Pokarney
So, we are distant cousins. Margretta (my ggrandma) lived with my Grandma Margaret Swallow Scott (her daughter) here in Reno before she died. Do you have any information on their parents/grandparents?
Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.