Search for content in message boards

Ayres in Maryland

Ayres in Maryland

James Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 5:14PM GMT
searching for info on Ellen or Elenor Ayres married to John Amos Garrett. She had a brother John Thomas Ayres. Her son Samuel Garrett born in 1806 in Maryland. Her Parents might be John and Ann Ayres. she was born in stone house on Rockspring road as you enter Bel Air from the south. she and Husband died close together leaving 13 children. around 1813. Any help appreciated

Re: Ayres in Maryland

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ayres
Hi James,
Not sure if this is any help, but I have a Samuel Ayres b. abt 1785 in Maryland who married Elizabeth Spear. I haven't been able to track down his parents. Maybe he and Elenor were siblings? A long shot, I know.
Good luck,
Steve

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Ayres and Morris
I will probably be of no help either. My ancestor was John Ayres, who married Dorcas Morris. Our guess is that he was born about 1781, could be wrong. They lived in Harford Co., Maryland, until around 1812, when moved to Virginia, now West Virginia, later moved on to Adams Co., Ohio, where he died. John and Dorcas had 11 children. I had my distant cousin do a DNA test. His Halopgroup is, G2a. I also had a hunch that my John's parents were John and Ann. My Gr Gr Grandmother Elizabeth, was born in Maryland about 1805.
Found court record in Abstracts of Baltimore: John Ayres, who must have died in 1791, his wife was Ann, children: John, Thomas, wife of Amos Garrett, and Nancy Ayres. One son name is not listed, we think he was Richard, who had moved to Penna.
Would like to know your thoughts.
marrsfack@eaglecom.net

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:52AM GMT
Here is a book about the descendants of Captain John Ayres of Brookfield, Massachusetts: http://archive.org/details/recordofdescenda00whit . This website provides e-books for free download since they are no longer under copyright due to age.

I have been told that my Ayres ancestors were actually Catawba Indians from North and South Carolina,and who migrated from there through Georgia and eventually ended up in Florida. I don't know how they finally adopted the Ayres name, unless they married into the family at one time or another, or if it was the Anglicized form of an Indian name. Here is a link to that information: http://www.littletownmart.com/family/genealogy.asp?1760
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.