Search for content in message boards

Alexander Paton/Janet Fyfe 1870

Alexander Paton/Janet Fyfe 1870

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 1:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PATON, FYFE, TAINSH, MCDOUGALL, LIVINGSTONE, STEWART, HAGGART
I have an Alexander Paton married Janet Fyfe in Central District Glasgow November 25, 1870 at ?30 Grafton Square, Glasgow(probably residence?). They were married by George Proudfoot Minister according to the Forms of the Presbyterian Church.
I would like to order church records to see if any additional information is noted as these two were from tillicoultry at the time. Hoping to find other Paton family connections - my brick wall. The LDS has some Presbyterian Church records but I have no idea how to narrow the number of films I would have to order would anyone have any idea which church George Proudfoot may have been attached to?
Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Sincerely,
Bonnie Paton-Pietruch

Re: Alexander Paton/Janet Fyfe 1870

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 1:36PM GMT
Hi,

Have you tried for their marriage cert on:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk./

This will give you their parents names and witness names and if you try on the same site for the 1871 Census it will tell you where they were both born.

Regards,

Graeme
Edinburgh

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 7:19PM GMT
Hi Bonnie,

I found the following link which mentions that the Rev. George Proudfoot was appointed Chaplain to the City Poorhouse in 1863.

Might be a starting point?

See: http://www.archive.org/stream/freestmatthewsch00phil/freestm...

A wee tip - don't start reading from the beginning ...... start from the end and go backwards!

Anne

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 9:45AM GMT
Surnames: Paton Fyfe
I feel sure there is a simple explanation for this marriage taking place in Glasgow and doubt very much you will gain anything from the church records, if indeed any survive.
If you have the details from the marriage certificate have a look at the bride's occupation. If she is any sort of domestic servant then that could be the reason.

Tillicoultry was quite a distance from Glasgow in those days, a day's journey perhaps. So, it was quite common for a girl "in service" who would only have a half-day off each week and perhaps one full day each month (if lucky) to be married in the servants quarters of her employer. It may well have been a Saturday evening, another very common ocurrence in those days.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.