Search for content in message boards

a present from a Kirwan descendant to all Blakes and Bourkes

a present from a Kirwan descendant to all Blakes and Bourkes

Posted: 25 May 2004 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jun 2004 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Kirwans, Bourkes, Blakes
I am transcribing and indexing all deeds pertaining to Kirwan's at the moment in the registry of deeds Dublin, I came across a deed which had rather a lot of information about Blakes and Bourkes, not that the Blakes in Ireland need help, they are well documented, in Family Record 1600-1700 by Martin J. Blake2nd series 09917 D 20 British Library, Ir9292 B6 NLI
Blake Family Record 1300-1600 by Martin J. Blake First Series 09917 D 20 British Library, NLI Ir9292 B6
anyway here is the document that I came across
Book 238 page 121 deed 153344 Registry of Deeds DublinDamer & ors to Lord Milton regt. 4/12/1764
A memorial of deed 28/5/1764 between the Right honrable James Earl of Clanbrassill of his majestys court of Exchequer in Ireland 1st part, John Damer of Shronehill Co Tipperary Esq. heir surviving ex’ors and devise of Joseph Damer late of Dublin Esq. dec’d, Robert French of Moniva Co Galway Esq. eldest son and heir at law and acting ex’or of Patrick French late of Moniva aforesaid Esq. dec’d, Sir Ulick Blake of Dublin baronet grandson and heir at law of Sir Walter Blake baronet dec’d and son and heir at law of Sir Thomas Blake bart. Dec’d and dame Elizabeth Blake otherwise Bourke widow relic and sole ex’or of the said Sir Thomas Blake and which said Sir Ulick Blake and Elizabeth are also ex’ors of Ulick Bourke late of Colmanstown Co. Galway Esq. dec’d, John Kelly of Tidane Co Galway Esq eldest son and heir at law of Mrselle Kelly otherwise bourke, Edmond Armstrong of Dublin esq. eldest son and heir at law of Sarah Armstrong otherwise Bourke which said Dame Elizabeth Blake is and said Marsella Kelly and Sarah Armstrong were daughters and heirs at law of said Ulick Bourke and sisters and heirs at law of John Bourke the only son and heir of said Ulick Bourke, and the right hon William earl of Besborough son and heir of right hon. Brabezon Earl of Besborough dec’d, Thomas Bourke of Ballydavid Co Galway Esq. eldest son and heir at law and admon of Gerald Bourke late of Dublin esq. dec’d, Catherine Daly of Dublin widow sole ex’or of said Walter Blake dec’d and Thady Mcnemara of Ayle Co Clare surviving trustee named in will of said Sir Thomas Blake dec’d Thomas Blake of Bordeaux France eldest son and heir apparent of Thomas Blake late of Brindrum Co Galway esq, dec’d Walter Blake of Brindrum Co Galway aforesaid, Maurice Blake eldest son and heir apparent of Issidore Blake the elder late of Galway gent. dec’d, Issidore Blake eldest son and heir apparent of said Maurice Blake, Patrick Blake eldest son of said Issidore Blake, John Blake brother to said Patrick, Richard Kirwan of Cregg Co Galway Esq. and Anna Kirwan otherwise Blake his wife daughter of said Sir Thomas Blake 2nd part. The right hon. Joseph lord Milton and William Lane of Dublin Esq. 3rd part whereby all of named in 2nd part..did lease and release …William Lane…Joseph Lord Milton..towns and lands of Clonmoyland Kilbrack andKilegan otherwise Dunvy..833 acres barony of Leitrim co Galway with all the woods and timber and trees standing …witnessed Ambros Lane and Thomas Fothall both of Dublin and this memorial is witnessed by Thomas Fothal and George Read servant to said Joseph Lord Milton
Good hunting and hope this helps, there are also many Blake documents in Antigua.
Aoife Fitzgerald
Ps if any of you have Kirwan deeds etc I would love to hear from you.

Re: a present from a Kirwan descendant to all Blakes and Bourkes

Mariann Regan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2004 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, Kirven, Kirvin, Kervin
Thanks for your gift, and maybe you can help us. We've been looking for information on our first ancestor in the United States, a Morris Kirwan who lived from about 1700 to 1744 (or 55) in Dorchester County, Maryland. He started a long Kirwan line (which changed to Kirvin or Kervin or Kirven) that settled near Darlington, SC, and we have reunions with hundreds of Kirvens. But we don't know who he was or how he came to America! I've been looking in genealogical dictionaries from Ireland and Great Britain. Many Kirwans, but Morris?

Posted: 5 Aug 2004 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, Kirvin, Kirven, Kervin
Thanks for your gift, and maybe you can help us. We've been looking for information on our first ancestor in the United States, a Morris Kirwan who lived from about 1700 to 1744 (or 55) in Dorchester County, Maryland. He started a long Kirwan line (which changed to Kirvin or Kervin or Kirven) that settled near Darlington, SC, and we have reunions with hundreds of Kirvens. But we don't know who he was or how he came to America! I've been looking in genealogical dictionaries from Ireland and Great Britain. Many Kirwans, but Morris?

Lynn Langridge (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2004 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, O'Grady
Hi....I'm not sure if this of interest to you but I have information on Cregg Castle, it was owned by a Richard Kirwan and then later by the Blakes. I am tracing my Kirwan Family and thought it might have been mine, but don't think it is as my Kirwans came from Co Wexford.
We stayed a night at Cregg Castle, it is about 9 miles out of Galway. The owners of the castle have a Kirwan Family Tree.
Maybe we can help each other out here?I am looking for Kirwan or O'Grady. Around the 1840 era. I think they may have come from Gorey or close to it.

Regards
Lynn Langridge

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 10:43PM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2005 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan
hallo Lynn
Thank you, yes I did know that, I have a fairly comprehensive pedigree on the kirwan's of Cregg, but thank you for the thought, if you are interested I have found one or two deed pertaining to Kirwan's in Wexford which were in the registry of deeds, I could easly look it up if you are interested
Aoife

Lynn Langridge (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2004 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan, O'Grady
Thank you Aoife, I would like that very much. I need all the help I can get. I have only traced back to my family coming into Australia in 1842. I know they came from Co Wexford. I have just returned from a visit to Ireland. While I was there I visited the National Library in Dublin. They told me because my great great Grandparents married in Ireland that they never usually travelled far to get there bride and to cross reference the Griffiths Valuation with both their names, which I did. I found a few Kirwans in Gorey and an O'Grady in Inch.....so am hoping thats them :) My Great Great Grandfather was a Shoemaker so would have lived in town they say, and the Gorey Kirwans lived in Main Street Gorey.....so fingers crossed :) Regards Lynn

Posted: 13 May 2005 1:24PM GMT
Aoife,

Hello,
I'm realted to the Kirwans of Wexford and if you are able to send me what info you have on the deeds that you found I'd be very grateful!

Thanks
Cath

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Kirwin, Blake
Hi! I have both Kirwans and Blakes in my family. My gggrandfather was John Kirwan born in Blindwell, Galway in 1817. He married Julia Blake born in @1822. They had one child, Ellen, in Tipperary 1846, before they emigrated to the US and Towanda, Pennsylvania area in 1847-48 where they had several more children. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Cathy

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 10:14AM GMT
Surnames: Kirwan
hallo Cathy
I do have a pedigree of the Kirwan's of Blindwell, these Kirwan's might not be your Kirwan's but might be related, you would need to do more research on that, I have not started researching the registry of deeds for the 1800's as I have been too busy with other things, My advice to you is to visit Dublin and do some research into this. I can send you the pedigree I have and some deeds pertaining to the Kirwan's in Blindwell up to 1799. But if you do need me or someone else to research your period in the registry of deeds for you, it can be an expensive bussness.
Here anyway is the last line of my blindwell pedigree which would be around the same period as your first generation. As you can see there is a James, a William and a Thomas is this family but then again these were very common names, none of the other names match and I would suspect that while they might be related, this is a different family, as I said above you really would need to research a bit more. If you have any more information, especially names of property, unusual family names that keep re occuring, unusual occupations etc let me know sometimes these give another clue to the family you belong to. Also any information about their connection to Tipperary.
Send me your email and I will send you the pedigree etc
Aoife FitzGerald
1. Martin Staunton Kirwan Esq. of Blindwell J.P, D.L b. may 1802
2. James Kirwan d.30/5/1865
3. Thomas Staunton Kirwan now of Blindwell
4. William Kirwan d.15/6/1864 noteKirwan, William; Blindwell Galway; Cork Examiner (COR IRL); 1864-6-24
5. Catherine Kirwan d.13/1/1866
6. Charotte Kirwan d.1874
7. Margaret Kirwan a nun
P.S I sent you the same answer to genealogy.com but I wanted to add that Matthias is a name that pops up in the Kirwan's, not in the blindwell family but in the a family of merchants who lived not that far, I would need to look up my notes to see what I have
Aoife
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.