Search for content in message boards

SHIELDS Family from Northern Ireland ca 1800

SHIELDS Family from Northern Ireland ca 1800

Posted: 7 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Sep 2005 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: SHIELDS
I would love to find my SHIELDS Family connection. I have been told that SHIELDSes were prominent in Antrim and Armagh Cos., Ireland. I have also been told that Co. Tyrone might also be a possibility Can anyone shed additional light on where I might go to research while in Ireland or how to research in this county? Please check out my websites for what I know about my ancestors.
http://home.att.net/~davehancock/SHIELDShis.html
http://home.att.net/~davehancock/SHIELDSfam.html
Would appreciate any insight.
Audrey

Shield family in tyrone

Posted: 11 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 3:43AM GMT
Audrey,
I have a book, "Domhnach Mor" by Eamon O Doibhlin.It was reprinted by Irish World (now Heritage World) and may still be available from them. It is an extensive history of the parish of Donaghmore in county Tyrone. It has Shield items, including a reference to Patrick Shield of Cappoh (probably now Cappagh). He was keeper of Altmore Barricks and progenitor of a prominent family there. We are talking 1740s. The book also has many references to a Sheale family, who were the only surviving Catholic landlords in Donaghmore. This name may have become Shield. There is a connection between Patrick Shield and General James Shield, the american General and senator. Hope this helps. Dan Boyle

Shields Family Co. Tyrone

Rose Morris (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shields
We have just acquired the site in Altmore, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland on which stands the remains of Barracktown House which was the home of Patrick Shields, caretaker of Altmore Barracks (from 1743 onwards), nearby are the remains of the Barracks, of which only parts of walls remain. He was the grandfather of General James Shields who was born in Altmore House,on the same estate, the remains of which are situated a short distance from this site on the Cappagh Road.It is our intention,if planning permission is granted to restore or replicate these buildings and seek to preserve the history and heritage of the house, barracks and family for future generations in the form of a local studies centre, museum, and artists/writers retreat as there is some wonderful scenery in the area. We would be delighted to share any information we find on the Shields family from the Deeds of this property and during this development and would be grateful for any information from the global Shields family.I have found some already on :
http://members.home.net/dshields/guestbook.html
as well as in the book: "Domhnach Mor" by Eamon O Doibhlin

John and Rose Morris

Re: Shields Family Co. Tyrone

sharon (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 8:20PM GMT
My gggrandfather, Maurice Shields, born in Tyrone 1853, died in Baltimore Maryland, 1920.
I do not know the date of emigration. He married Mary McCarthy.
I have not been able to find any more about him. would appreciate any guidance you can share.
Thank You

Posted: 6 Nov 2001 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: SHIELDS
Hello, John and Rose,
So exciting to learn of your research for this family and what you are endeavoring to do. We are also interested in finding our connection to this family. I am assuming that you checked out my webpages, since you replied to my query posted with the webpages URLs.

My sister, our hubbies, and I were in Ireland in June, trying to find data on our SHIELDS family. Perhaps you have seen some of my postings regarding some of the information we found while researching.

I would like to stay in contact with you and would be delighted to learn of any information that you are willing to share.

You can write me privately at AudreyShieldsHancock@att.net

If you haven't seen my other postings please contact me and I will share with you my limited findings.

Audrey

Rose Morris (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2001 9:51PM GMT
Sharon,
I will look up the Shields family ancestors on the deeds of our property and ask the farmer who has the remainder of the Shields estate if he knows of any others. There was a Maurice Shields in Altmore Co Tyrone when I was growing up there, now passed on, so it looks as if it is a name which this family used. There is a Frank Shields from this family practicing as a Dentist nearby in Dungannon and I intend to look him up next time I visit Tyrone in December. I will let you know of my findinds as soon as I have any.

Rose Morris

Posted: 11 Nov 2001 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: Shields
Thanks, Rose,
Will appreciate any tidbits of information that might get us back to around 1790 SHIELDSes.

Audrey

sharpn (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 12:30AM GMT
Rose, thank you so much! Will anxiously await your reply.

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 10:41AM GMT
Surnames: Shileds, Bradley, Quin/Quinn
Hello Audrey

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather and his family. He was Hugh Shields (known as Budge in the family) he married Ellen or Alice Ellen Bradley (known as Ally) at Ballinderry Catholic church on 24 July !894.

On his marriage cert his father is given as George Shields (or Sheales, the name is given with a variety of spelling). I have George's cert too, he married Rosanna Quin at Ballinderry 4 Sep 1864. George's father is given as Michael Sheals.

The story in the family is that this family originally came for Killyman or Syerla, south of Dungannon. I can find some families (in Benburb, one in Lisnacroy) there in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, but I cannot make any link between us and them. Hugh Shields family is in Ballinderry in 1901 but in Urbal, Coagh in 1911. Have you come across any of these Shields in your research? Many thanks, Mary

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 4:41PM GMT
Dear Rose, many years ago we communicated about my Shields family in Tyrone. I am back on their trail! Have you been able to find any information?
Many thanks for your interest and help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.