Anne Eliasdotter BRANDMO was a daughter in one of 3 closely related Norwegian families who in the 1840s moved from South Trondelag County to Hattfjelldal in Nordland County. During the latter half of the 19th century virtually everybody in the (by then large) families emigrated to USA, settling mostly in Chippewa County and surrounding counties. Only a sister of Anne's father remained in the area near Hattfjelldal, and in the 20th century many of her descendants also emigrated. The following is based on data from the Vefsn 'bygdebook' office in Mosjoen, with some additional data from the 'Brandmo Genealogy' by Lydia Mitlyng POKRASS:
Anne's parents were Elias Torstensen BRANDMO (1817-1901) and Marit Rollefsdatter (1816?-1902). The link to the other two families mentioned is via Marit, f.i. to all people in USA by surname WEFSENMOE. The name Wegdahl may well have been derived from a similar place name near Mosjoen in Norway where some in the family lived temporarily.
Gunder GUNDERSON (1831-?) came from Brandval in Southern Norway and married Anne while in Norway. A grandniece of Gunder became a countess in Transylvania by marriage. A nephew of Gunder, Lars GUNDERSON (1850-1903), em. to Alaska and has descendants. The genealogy of Gunder's relatives is being studied by a researcher in Lillehammer, Norway.
Children of Elias and Marit BRANDMO:
1. Thorstein (1838-1912), m. Mattea ERIKSEN (1863-1936), descendants. Photographer in Bodo and in USA
2. Maren (1842-1923), m. Anton ISRAELSON (1840-1920), descendants
3. Anne (1844-1918), m. Gunder GUNDERSON (see below)
4. Else (1847-?), m. Lars IHLE, m. Andreas OLSON, descendants
5. Lars (1849-?), used surname ELIASON, m. Helena WOLD, descendants. Farmer in Porter, MN
6. Andreas (1852-?), m. Martha AAS (?-1912), descendants. Photographer in Appleton and Montevideo
7. Rollev (1855-1942), photographer
8. Lovise (1857-1934), m. Erik HUSBY (1848/50-1918) in Montevideo (see my query of 12 Sep), descendants by name HUESBY
There were also completely unrelated ELIASONs in the area. F.i. one Gustav ELIASON in Hagan / Big Bend Township (see my query of 5 Sep). It is therefore not sure that the Antonia ELIASON in the query of 30 Apr which started this thread, has any relation to Lars ELIASON.
Children of Gunder and Anne GUNDERSON; all of them emigrated:
1. Caroline (1870-1945)
2. Anna (1873-1960), m. Nels KRAGNESS (1870-1925), descendants
3. Marie Ovidia (1875-1962), m. Lars Johnson MITLYNG (1865-1949), descendants. See http://web2.airmail.net/mitlyng6/index.html
4. Gustava (1878-1932)
5. George (1881-1966), m. Lilly ENGSTROM
6. Elias (1883-1953), m. Amy WEFLIN
7. Peter (1886-1956), m. Lilly ADAMSON, descendants
The 'Brandmo Genealogy' has information about 2-3 further generations.