Irene (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Potmesil
looking for ancestors of John or Jan Potmesil

Re: ancestors

Posted: 26 Dec 2002 1:23AM GMT
My Grandparents were Alois and Marie (Blecha) Potmesil, His parents were Vincent and Anna (Kasal) Potmesil. Vincent and Anna and all their children came to the USA in the Early 1900. Children were Alois, Bessie, Emma, Stephen, Jamses, Joseph, Aloisa, Ben and Mary. They all settled in the South Dakata and Nebraska area. Bessie married a Kasal and is somehow releated to Anna. I don't have any information on any of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

bmdezua@yahoo.com Barbara DeZuani

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 12:41AM GMT
Surnames: POTMESIL
Since my last message to you I have found more on your family here in the USA while searching for mine.

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: POTMESIL/HOLANOVA
On my wife's side of the family, we have a John Potmesil, born 6-APR-1844 in Bohemia. John's parents were Jan and Anna Holanova.....sorry no dates.
Family lived near Caslav.
John came to the US about 1885.
Hope it is a match.

Re: Potmisil in Nebraska

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 6:54PM GMT
According to Nebraska Kansas Czech Settlers 1891-1895 compiled by Margie Sobotka, pages 95-96, John Potmisil Sr. and Jr. in Box Butte county, pp. 95-96, were from M. Opolany, Podebrady, Caslav. Anna and Josef in Dawes county, same location.

Posted: 12 May 2013 12:08AM GMT
Mary.....Thank you for the response.
The people you mentioned are related to my wife's side of the family. John Sr. is her g-grandfather.

Something I need to clarify since the post. Jan Potmesil and his wife Rosa Sixta immigrated to the US about 1882. His father is Jan Potmesil, who married Anna Holanova. Jan and Rosa had a son John in 1870. When they got to the US, to differentiate the two, the son John became John Jr. and Jan was frequently referred to as John Sr.

The land they homesteaded in Box Butte County is still in the family.

The people I need some information on are John Sr's. parents, Jan and Anna (Holanova) Potmesil. I have been searching the Prague Archives, but without success. Jan and Anna did not immigrate to the US. At this point, I do not know if John Sr. had any siblings or if Jan had any brothers.

The location in the Czech Republic is perfect.

Thank you and I'll post again if I find anything.

Warren A. Sokol warrenasokol@yahoo.com

Posted: 12 May 2013 3:33AM GMT
Hmm. This book (picture attached) has several Potmesil entries. I couldn't find Jan born in 1870.

url:
http://actapublica.eu/matriky/praha/prohlizec/11517/?strana=...

But given that the town name is the same, it would be worth checking these folks out. They may be related, and might intersect with your line only 1 or 2 generations back.

Were they Catholic or Evangelical?
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 2:29PM GMT
Sorry this took so long, but it took awhile to track down the info.

As for religion, I would say Protestant. They referred to themselves as 'Free Thinkers'. As far as I know, they did not attend any church after they located in Nebraska.

I have looked at the Prague Archives for volumes that include Opolany and Libice. Many are not yet digitized. Two new villages that I found in some old documents yesterday are Kanin and Sany. I still have to check the Archives for these.

Thanks! Warren
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.