Search for content in message boards

Whitehead of Oldham

Whitehead of Oldham

Posted: 29 May 2006 10:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching a Whitehead family of Oldham, Lancashire, living in the Waterhead & Greenacre areas of Oldham.

Re: Whitehead of Oldham

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 4:38PM GMT
I have Whiteheads in Oldham, from Joseph b. 1811 to Mary 1867, mainly in St Mary's. William b. 1829 was a pork butcher in Cheapside.

Posted: 11 Oct 2007 7:57PM GMT
Are you still looking for Whiteheads from Waterhead? My g g grandmother was Elizabeth W, she was living at Waterhead Mill in 1851 when my g grandfather George Eli W was born. Any information would be gratefully recieved.

Bob Whitehead

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 1:16PM GMT
I am helping my friend Roger Whitehead research his family tree. His grandfather was Fred Whitehead (b1886) the 3rd son of George Eli Whitehead. George Eli's mother was Elizabeth Whitehead (suggesting an illegitimate birth) who later (1860) married Sidney Schofield, by whom she had 2 children, Matthew & John. George E also had a sister, Mary, bc 1853. In the '61 & '71 censuses, both George & Mary use the surname Schofield, although on later censuses he reverts to just Whitehead. 2 possibilities spring to mind:

1. Sidney Schofield was George & Mary's father, but as he was already married (to Mally Glazebrook) he could not marry Elizabeth
2. Sidney was not their father, merely adopting them on his marriage to their mother.

I'm not sure which of these hypotheses (if either) to accept, but I think George must have been fond of his (?step)father as he named his youngest son Sidney.

Perhaps if you tell me from which of George's children you are descended I can put you in touch with Roger.

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 7:42PM GMT
Dear Carolyn,
Thank you for your speedy reply. We are certainly looking at the same family and your information has opened a deadend for me.It would appear that Roger and I are related.
How I fit in is this.
My father was Harry W born in Oldham in 1920.
His father was Frank W 5th child of George Eli W born in Oldham 1891.
According to my records George Eli had 6 children and that Fred W had 3 children Edith, May and Eric, so is Eric, Roger's father? If so I met Eric when I was a child.

If Roger wants to contact me my e mail is r.whitehead@talk21.com phone 01484685430

Best wishes,

Bob Whitehead

Posted: 13 Oct 2007 10:26AM GMT
Dear Bob,

Fred (b1886) married Sarah Ellen Slater & they had 2 sons, Sidney & Frederick. Roger is Sidney's son.

I will pass on your email to Roger, but you might not get a reply immediately as Roger & his wife have just returned from spending a week with us in France, and will be catching up with work

Carolyn

Posted: 2 Dec 2007 7:59PM GMT
I have a relation born Minnie Eliza Burton in 1878 in Warrington. She married 3 times. The last being a Whitehead. Her previous marriages were Belk & Grimshaw. Apparently all husbands were exceedingly rich. She had no children. She was an accomplished artist & had been a student of the artist Sir Luke Fildes. Would Whitehead have been a cotton mill owner perhaps if he had pots of money?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.