Search for content in message boards

WASHBURN; 1546-1868; ENG>MA,USA>NY,USA>MI,USA>WI,USA>NE,USA>WY,USA

WASHBURN; 1546-1868; ENG>MA,USA>NY,USA>MI,USA>WI,USA>NE,USA>WY,USA

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BAKER, BUSHELL, CASKEY, COOKE, HOWARD, HUTCHINS, JONES, KEEN, KINGMAN, MARTIN, MITCHELL, MOORE, PACKARD, PRATT, SPAFFORD, TAYLOR, TIMBRELL, WASHBURN
Here is my WASHBURN line. I would enjoy exchanging data with anyone having a common interest in my WASHBURN line as well as the spouse lines. I welcome additions and challenges provided sources are cited. I am prepared to cite sources for all my data.

John WASHBURN, -1546 of Bengeworth, Worcestershire, England
+Emme (--?--), -c1547 <<-- need parents/ancestry
:.John WASHBURN, -1593 of Bengeworth
:.+Jone BUSHELL, -c1556 <<-- need parents/ancestry
:..John WASHBURN, a1546-c1624 of Bengeworth
:..+Martha TIMBRELL, -1625 <<--need ancestry
:...John WASHBURN, c1597- of Duxbury & Bridgewater, Massachusetts
:...+Marjorie MOORE, c1588- d/o Robert & Ellen (TAYLOR) MOORE
:....John WASHBURN, c1620-1686 of Plymouth & Bridgewater, Mass
:....+Elizabeth MITCHELL, c1628-c1683
........daughter of Experience and Jane (COOKE) MITCHELL
:.....Samuel WASHBURN, c1652-1720 of Bridgewater, Massachusetts
:.....+Deborah PACKARD, -1725 d/o Samuel and Elizabeth PACKARD
:......Benjamin WASHBURN, c1689- of Bridgewater, Massachusetts
:......+Bethiah KINGMAN, 1693-
..........daughter of Henry and Bethia (HOWARD) KINGMAN
:.......Henry WASHBURN, -1799 of Mendon, Massachusetts
:.......+Sarah BATTLES, 1721-
...........daughter of Edward & Experience (PRATT) BATTLES
:........Henry WASHBURN, 1741- of Bridgewater, Massachusetts
:........+Susannah HUTCHINS <<--need ancestry
:.........Hutchins WASHBURN, 1770-
............of Taunton, MA > Attica, NY > Lapeer co., MI
:.........+Sarah (Sally) JONES,
.............daughter of Benjamin and Susanna (BAKER) JONES
:..........Lewis WASHBURN, 1796-1857
.............of Attica, New York and Waukesha County, Wisconsin
:..........+Betsey KEEN, 1796-1868 daughter of John KEEN
:...........Charles D.M. WASHBURN, 1822-
..............of Grand Island, Nebraska
:...........+Mary Jane MARTIN, 1845-1919
...............daughter of John L. and Rebecca (CASKEY) MARTIN
:............Anna Rebecca WASHBURN, 1868-1956
:............+Frank Delbert SPAFFORD, 1866-1952 of Laramie, Wyo

John Clement, 2479 S Clermont St Apt G10, Denver, CO 80222
Email: jclement@sprynet.com Voice: 720-974-3927
Permanent Email address: johnClem@who.net

Re: WASHBURN; 1546-1868; ENG>MA,USA>NY,USA>MI,USA>WI,USA>NE,USA>WY,USA

Posted: 20 Jan 2007 1:31PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 11:51AM GMT
Surnames: Washburn, Mitchell
John,
From your post I see one of your Washburn connections is through John Washburn 1620-1686 and wife Elizabeth Mitchell 1628-1683. My very undocumented line also goes through this couple. You show through their son Samuel 1652-1720 and I'm through their son Jonathan 1653-1733. I'm writting requesting where I could find documentation regarding John and Elizabeth Washburn and their descendants.

Carl Berger

Posted: 21 Jan 2007 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2007 11:52AM GMT
Surnames: Washburn
Carl Berger wrote in part:

"You show through their son Samuel 1652-1720 and I'm through their son Jonathan 1653-1733. I'm writting requesting where I could find documentation regarding John and Elizabeth Washburn and their descendants."

I have very different birth and death dates for your Jonathan. You can access what I have for your Jonathan at:

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?o...

There you will see what documentation I have used, in the form of footnotes.

Click on "pedigree" for the ancestry of your Jonathan as I have it, with sources cited.

Posted: 13 Mar 2007 7:41PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2007 10:10AM GMT
Surnames: Washburn, Timbrell, Washbourne, Mytton
Hi! I'm descended down from William Washburn, son of John Washburn and Martha Timbrell. How far back have you traced on the Washburn side? So far, i've only been able to get back to Sir Roger Washbourne, b. in 1227 and died 1280. He married Joan Mytton. i'm happy to give you what i have, unless you already have it!! :-) thanks! have a great day! ~angela

Posted: 28 Jul 2007 2:39AM GMT
Angela,
I am also a descendant of John Washburn and Martha Timbrell but from their son Samuel. I would be interested in any information you have on the Washburn line.

Korrie

Posted: 28 Jul 2007 11:31PM GMT
hi, korrie!!

that's awesome!! i have managed to somehow track down the washburn line back to Tancred de Tancarville, b. abt. 890 in Scandinavia. don't ask how i did it, but somehow i did. if u'd like, i can send u a file from my genealogy program, since there are too many ppl to list here. my email is princesa_ang@comcast.net. feel free to email me and i can send u any info u want!!! have an awesome day!!
Posted: 29 Jul 2007 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: WASHBURN
Godsprincesa01 wrote in part:

"i have managed to somehow track down the washburn line back to Tancred de Tancarville, b. abt. 890 in Scandinavia. don't ask how i did it, but somehow i did."

I dunno how you did it either, but there is a work by Mabel Thacher Rosemary Washburn, "Washburn Family Foundations in Normandy, England and American" (Greenfield, Indiana: Wm. Mitchell Printing Company, 1953) from which I extract:

Mabel Thatcher Rosemary Washburn weaves a fantastic tale starting with Tancred (born circa 890) as an alleged Washburn ancestor. Tancred, a Viking whose heathenism was cleansed when he became a Christian feudal lord in Normandy, France (pp. 9-10).

Tancred's land holdings became known as Tancarville which is the same as Washburn in America and Washbourne, chiefly in England (ibid, p. 9).

Approximately eight miles from Evesham, England lies the village of Washbourne (population seventy-seven in 1914). In the old days, people were known to take their name from the locality. This is where the name surely comes, although the Washbournes, some who have dropped the letter o or the letter e, now live scattered throughout the world (ibid, pp. 1-6.

At the time when registers first became compulsory, the name Washbourne first appears in 1539 in the records of the Evesham Parish of St. Peter's, Bengeworth, County Worcester, England. But the name existed long before that in the neighborhood, as early as 1280. No provable links can be made to the earlier Washbournes; the oldest member of our line being John Washbourne, husbandman, buried in the Evesham parish church in 1546 (ibid, pp. 7-8).

Three generations later when Marjorie Washbourne left Evesham in 1635 to join her husband John Washbourne in New England, the American branch of the Washburn family was established. The Washbourne name continued to be well represented in Bengeworth, but by 1914 there were very few bearers of the name (ibid, p. 34).

Posted: 29 Jul 2007 10:53PM GMT
wow!! thank u so much!! i had no idea that book existed. does that mean we're not related to Tancred??? i really appreciate u telling me this. thanks!!!
Posted: 27 Jan 2013 8:37PM GMT
Anyone wanting to know more about the name Washburn should read the book 'The Washburns in America' if you can find one by Bruce Washburne. That is if you can find them. He self published and sold the two volumes for $175, and I know this because I have them. Tancred a viking from Denmark was with Rollo the viking who overtook Normandy. He then settled there and the ruins of his castle and the church he built still stand in Tancredville. He cared for the son of Richard the Great when he went to war and raised the boy, William, after Robert died in battle. William the conquerer was the boy he became. If you go to Normandy near the castle is the mansion of the Washburn family and if you can prove you are a decendant of the clan they will give you a free tour of the Washburn mansion. In the fifteen hundreds when the rulers or Kings or government decided everyone should have a last name because of the confusion, they chose our name became the clan lived in the county of Wash down by the burn (river). That was the descendants of Tancred who conquered England later. That is all I remember right now because the books are stored away under lock and key and I choose not to take the time right now to dig them out....lol.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 2:19PM GMT
> i have managed to somehow track down the washburn line back to
> Tancred de Tancarville, b. abt. 890 in Scandinavia.

If you can prove that with contemporary records please post it. In 25 years of research I have never seen anything that can be proved earlier than John and Martha (Stevens) washburn, grandparents of immigrants John and Philip Washburn.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.