Search for content in message boards

Trying to get back to Ireland with Deegan name

Trying to get back to Ireland with Deegan name

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
James Deegan, married to Margaret, children Francis (Frank) Peter, Lucy, Margaret, James, arrived from Ireland in 1890. Lived in Manhattan, NY. Can't go any farther back. Son Frank moved to New Orleans, LA and married my grandmother. Any tips on how to make the connection to Ireland? Appreciate your help!

Re: Trying to get back to Ireland with Deegan name

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 6:27PM GMT
my father james 1890 ny ,parents thomas and bridget keenan ire,are on 1900 census brooklyn ny ward24 under digan, icould not find my fathers birth place but did find his brothers john born 1895 brooklyn ,and his brother tom brooklyn 1898, father thomas deegan 1861 ire. my father is found in 1930 census st albans vt,spelled dugan ,batchelor

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 11:51PM GMT
James arrived in 1890 by himself I think. There are so many James s and Francis s and Margaret s. I believe his parents did not come with him. He appears on the 1900 census, married to Margaret, the again on 1910, but both James and Margaret disappear. The kids, Frank, Lucy, Margaret appear as nieces and nephews on the 1920 census with a John Flemming and family. Could it have been the influenza pandemic? Very frustrating!

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 8:51PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: deegan keenan
search and search ,I seem to always get back to killkenny,with deegan spelled different ways,but somehow it rings a bell, from what I can remember,back as a child,The name seems to have different spellingsand pronunciations,but keep looking,my grandfather was thomas deegan,from what i can remember,his wife bridget keenan,they came over somewhere around 1877? settled in brooklyn ny,141 troy av. where my father and his brothers were born,his father Thomas was in the army at west point ny ,thats about it for what I know.good luck bonnie deegan gloster

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 8:58PM GMT
My Deegan's were from County Offaly.

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 1:59AM GMT
Just found my Grandfather Frank's obit. It lists his sisters as Mrs. William Carmody and Mrs. James Tulley, both of New York. This was in 1950. Keeping at it! Thanks for the tips.
Tara

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 2:34AM GMT
Are you in GA ?

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 3:28PM GMT
I just got back from NYC where I made some progress and it turns out my G Grandfather listed his home as Kings County on his naturalization papers. As I understand Kings County is the same as Ofally Co. He immigrated to US in April of 1890. His father was listed on his death cert as William Deegan and his mother was *Mary Barry. I think he came over on his own. Any connection?

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 3:32PM GMT
BTW...I am in the New Orleans area. My grandfather came here after WWI and married my grandmother.

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 5:35PM GMT
hi Tara, this is bonnie ,I read your comment and it could be some how connected as my grandparents came over and landed in NY,they lived in brooklyn where my dad and two brothers were born, james my dad b. 1891,uncle tom 1898 and uncle john 1895, I believe my grandad was at west point,and I dont know too much else ,I do know he died very young,my grnd mother ,bridget garrity,some how dissapeared, leaving the three sons, my dad and uncle tom traveled around lookingfor some relatives, but ended up in st albans vt,where we were born,uncle tom married and had one daughter ,leona evelyn, she married trench,I hope this info helps out,I keep searching but getting nowhere,I hope this helps out a little.good luck Bonnie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.