Search for content in message boards

Herman P. Douglas

Herman P. Douglas

Posted: 7 Jul 2003 9:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Mar 2006 8:09PM GMT
I'm looking for additional information about my mother's stepfather's family.

Herman Pennington Douglas was born Aug. 17, 1908 and died in April 1979. He married 1st "Unknown" and they had 3 sets of twins (5 boys, 1 girl). My mother remembers 2 of their names - Tony (m) and Donna (f). They all moved to Oregon(?) with their mother as children.

He married 2nd Sylvia Smith-McAdams. They had no children together. By this point he was blind.

Herman's SS# was issued in Ohio, per the SSDI, and he died in Ft. Worth, Tarrant Co., TX. He is buried in Kennedale, TX, just outside of Ft. Worth. When he died in 1979 many attempts were made to contact his children, to no avail.

If anyone has any information about his parents or children, please reply.

Thanks,
Amanda Horton

Re: Herman P. Douglas

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Douglas
Hi Amanda,
My name is Teresa Lynn Douglas-Vittoria. I believe Herman P. Douglas to be my Grandfather. My Grandmother Ada Ledford was married to a Herman P. Douglas and together they had 3 sets of twins. I also know that only one of them was a girl named Donna. My Dad, Luther Henry Douglas was a twin to Lemie Douglas who were born in Mississippi on june 30th,1938.
If I can be of any further help,please let me know and I will do what I can,although I don't have alot. Do you know if Herman's Father was William H. and Mother's name was Willie B.?

Re: Herman P. Douglas

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 2:39AM GMT
Wow, it's been 9 years since my posting. Thank you for replying!

The 1940 Tarrant Co., Texas census lists Herman, age 31 b. TX, and Ada, age 31 b. MS with children Eula M., age 6 b. AL, Luther age 1 b. MS, Levie age 1 b. MS. Also living in the household was Ada's brother, Allen Ledford, age 28 b. AL, Allen's wife, Pearl age 19 b. TX, and Allen & Pearl's son, Bobby A., age 1 month b. TX.

In 1935 Herman, Ada and Eula were living in Wine Dot, Isockland Co., Michigan. Also in 1935 Allen Ledford lived in Dell, Mississippi Co., Oklahoma and Pearl lived in Aubrey, Denton Co., Texas.

Just after the 1940 census was released earlier this year I remember looking Herman up because when I just now looked him up again after I read your posting I specifically remembered that he lived in Wine Dot in 1935. I'll have to find my notes, though I don't remember finding too much more about his family.

My mother and my older siblings have very fond memories of Herman. He is buried in Emerald Hills Cemetery in Kennedale, Texas (just outside of Ft. Worth) next to my grandmother, Sylvia, and beside them is Sylvia's sister and brother in law.

Both Herman and Sylvia were blind, her as a child, and I believe his came about when he was quite older. I think Herman was, at one point prior to marrying Sylvia, a country singer and traveled a lot. In their later years they would sit and sing outside Leonard's Department Store in Ft. Worth selling miscellaneous items such as paper and pencils. They are said to be the inspiration behind Willie Nelson's song Pretty Paper. Herman died when I was very young, however years later I can vividly remember Sylvia still selling pencils.

Here is a painting of Herman and Sylvia in the Leonard's museum in Ft. Worth and the description beside it. I think I have one or two more pics of Herman.

Please email me at ajbhorton@yahoo.com. I would love to communicate more with you about Herman and Sylvia.

Sincerely,
Amanda Horton
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.