Search for content in message boards

Henry, Daniel Brown, NJ/Roanoke, 1757

Henry, Daniel Brown, NJ/Roanoke, 1757

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
I'm tracing the Brown family and have hit a tangle I need help with. I'm looking for Henry (born around 1686, Mannington, NJ); son Daniel, (born aroun 1720); his son Daniel Jr. (B: 1748, VA); his son Shadrack (b 1777, Bedford, Va). The tangle comes with Henry and Daniel. I find 2 sets of Henrys and Daniels about the same time about the same place, but with different stories. Both Henrys were born 1686/1690 in Salem Co. NJ and died in Roanoke in 1757 - one by Indian ambush, one not. Both had sons named Henry and Daniel, one Daniel born 1720 in NJ, one Daniel born 1730 in NJ. One Daniel Sr. died 1797 in VA, one died 1791 in NC, a Quaker preacher. I'm not sure if I have two sets of Henrys and Daniels or not. I'm solidly connected up through Shadrack - his father was Daniel, but I'm not sure which one. If anyone can help untangle this, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Henry, Daniel Brown, NJ/Roanoke, 1757

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 2:56PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2005 8:43PM GMT
I to come from Brown's of Campbell and Bedford Co. Va. Do what I did, write to Rustburg Va. Court. I can't remember which department right off, but I wrote a letter requesting info. on my grandparents.

I indicated in the letter my relationship to these people and included a few dollars to cover the cost of documents, such as Birth or Marriage Certificates. If you request the cert. on Daniel, with two different dates, It may turn out that they are the same persons.

Good luck

Brenda

Dawn Mundy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2005 5:44PM GMT
Thanks for the tip!

Posted: 30 Jun 2007 11:25PM GMT
There was a Shadrack Brown and a Daniel Brown mentioned on a deed record in Prince Edward Co., VA, as follows:

Deed Book 1, page 120

William Davidson/Davison was grantor. Thomas Palmer bought 100 acres for 40 pounds. South side of Mountain Creek. Witnesses were James Hamlett, Shadrack Brown and Daniel Brown. William Davi(d)son signed. February 14, 1758.

Any likely connection?

Posted: 1 Jul 2007 7:25PM GMT
There's probably a connection, but it's likely a sideways one to my research. I think I've untangled things since my post. The Daniel and Shadrack you mention are probably related to 'my guys' but not in their direct line. Henry had a son named Daniel, who also had a son named Daniel. Daniel Jr. had a son named Shadrack, but since Daniel Jr. wasn't born until around 1748, they couldn't have been legal witnesses to the deed. Since Daniel was such a popular name in that family, (and Shadrack turned up a few times, too), we can assume they were part of this particular Brown clan, but I'm not sure how. I have some info on Henry/Daniel/Daniel - if you like I can send it to you.
Thanks for the post.

Posted: 1 Jul 2007 11:38PM GMT
Thanks, but I doubt that these folks were part of my Browns out of Middlesex Co., VA (my mother's family). Do you know if anyone from this family has joined the Brown DNA Testing Project? It would be interesting to see if they match anyone.

There was a marriage in Prince Edward Co., VA between a Mr. Brown and a member of my Davidson family. That was many years later (early-1900s), but I have always wondered from which Brown family that Mr. Brown descended.

Posted: 10 Dec 2008 8:20PM GMT
It now appears that the Browns from NJ MAY not have been the Brown family that included Shadrack Brown (unless you have "solid proof" of that). There were men named William, Daniel, Abraham and Shadrack Brown who were in the Amelia/Prince Edward Co., VA area in the 1740s-1750s. Records show that Shadrack Brown married a Mary Nance in Lunenburg Co., VA in 1761, and a Thomas Nance and his Gibbs wife (who married in 1762) had a child who was named Paschal Nance in Bedford Co., VA. There was also a person (or two) in the Bedford Co., VA area who was named Paschal Brown, and I would not be too surprised if the Mary Nance who married Shadrack Brown in 1761 was a sister (or other close relatives) of the Thomas nance who married Miss Gibbs in 1762. There is also a record where Abraham Brown (by then also in Lunenburg Co., VA) sold some land (that was back in Prince Edward Co., VA) in the 1760s. There were also a couple of later Shadrack Browns (i.e., men who came after the above man who married Mary Nance in 1761) who married in Bedford or Franklin Co., VA. Anyway, there are some researchers who are no longer convinced that the "NJ Browns" were the only Browns in the Bedford Co., VA area with men named "Daniel," and they MAY not have been the family that had these various men named "Shadrack."

A man who appears to be from the same overall Brown family as these Shadrack Browns has just submitted his DNA to the Brown Society DNA testing project. We should know in about 5-8 weeks if he matches any of the existing 500 or so donors in that project.

Posted: 18 Dec 2008 10:06AM GMT
Surnames: Brown
I want to thank you for all the information. I would like to share what little I have. My Browns are from Henry Brown and Susan Ligon. I think his fathe was Aris Brown, yet I am having trouble finding the connection. Please Email me with anything you might have. dadco32002@yahoo.com

Kenneth Brown.

Posted: 18 Dec 2008 12:44PM GMT
We have an Ernest O. Brown who is also from Henry Brown and Miss Ligon, and Ernest took the Brown DNA test. He is a match to Group 10, which is the same overall family as the family that we believe included Aris Brown. I need to run right now, but I will e-mail you with a lot of info on that overall family. Have you considered joining the DNA test?

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 5:10PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Rudd.
Dawn,

Are you still trying to untangle your Brown line? If you are I can offer a lot of answers. I too descend from Shadrack (s/o Daniel Jr.) and Tabitha Hall Brown through their daughter Mary Magdalene. A group of us who share Daniel Jr. as a common ancestor banded together a couple of years ago, and by sponsoring DNA donors and through a thorough search of Virginia records, we were able to debunk a century's worth of bad genealogy regarding our line.

I'm sure you have read online that our Daniel Sr. was a son of Henry and Esther Brown of Mannington NJ. This is not correct. Daniel Sr. was the son of William and Ann Brown of Henrico Co., VA. In 1737 Ann presented William's will in court, and to which she and son Daniel were named executors. Other Henrico records exist proving Daniel to be a son of William, and that he had brothers named Alexander, George and John.

About 1739 Daniel married Elizabeth Rudd, the daughter of John and Avis Whitaker Rudd. They lived in an area of Henrico that became Chesterfield County. The will of Avis Rudd named Daniel Jr. as a grandson, and court records regarding her estate identify Daniel Sr. and Alexander as sons-in-law (Alexander married Mary, sister of Elizabeth).

Elizabeth Rudd Brown evidently died in Chesterfield County, the year not known at present. The last record there for Daniel Sr., in which he sells his land, is dated 1769; the first record of him in Bedford Co., VA comes from the year 1771. We can prove that he is one and the same by the unique mark he made on his legal documents. The 1797 will of Daniel Sr. identifies our ancestor Shadrack as a grandson and the son of Daniel Jr.

Our group has put together a well documented public tree proving all of the above and much more. Every person in the tree is supported through documentation.

I'd love to learn about your line of descent from Shadrack. I hope you will make contact so we can share information.

Justin Sanders.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.