Search for content in message boards

THOMPSON

THOMPSON

Posted: 12 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2001 1:58AM GMT
I have a James Thompson who married Margaret (Peggy) Norton in Wayne Co., KY in 1804. She was the daughter of Messor/Mercer Norton and his wife, Martha Higgins.

Her sister, Elizabeth, married a Leonard Thompson in 1816 and another sister, Mary Norton married an Alexander Thompson before 1792. I don't know if these Thompsons were all related or not, but I am of the opinion that maybe James and Alexander were brothers. James was born about 1775 in North Carolina and died in Perry Co., Illinois.

If you have anything on this Thompson, I would like to hear from you.
Posted: 12 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 3:04AM GMT
Looking for information on James Thompson born abt 1806 in Wayne County. James married Sarah Holt in Wayne County on September 22, 1828 at the home of William D. Thompson. Sarah was born about 1809 in Wayne County. James had a brother named Greenberry who was born abt. 1799, and, we believe there was another brother named Richard born about 1804. Their father's name may have been Dickerson. We cannot prove it. William D. Thompson may have been an attorney who handled a "will" for Alexander Thompson. Does anyone have any information on this Thompson family? Thank you for any help! Linda

Re: THOMPSON

jcook6209 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2001 10:02PM GMT
I am researching this family and would like to hear from you at jacook@txucom.net.Margaret Thompson married George Martin. Thank You.

Posted: 8 Aug 2005 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
Linda, Do you have the information on Alexander Thompson's will. I believe he may be the parent of Dickerson Thompson, He is listed in 1790 Lincoln Co,Ky census. Alexander is (per the infomation I have so far) the brother of James, Thomas, Robert,Edward Thompson of Augusta Co, Va. They where the children of John Thompson and grandchildren of William Thompson of Beverley Manor District around Staunton, Augusta Co, Va. James Thompson died 1790 in Lincoln Co, Ky and had lived in Greene Co, Tn prior to that. Wayne Co, Ky in 1790 was part of Lincoln Co, Ky.

Let me know what you think.
David Lester

1790 Lincoln Co, Ky Census
Dougherty Jno. Lincoln 6/1/1790
Dougherty Wm. Lincoln 4/15/1790
Thompson Alexander Lincoln 5/11/1790
Thompson Wm. Lincoln 4/16/1790

Linda Aaron (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2005 8:35PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Dougherty, Holt, Keith
Hi David, Thanks for contacting me. The William Dickerson Thompson families have been a pain in by backside for awhile. My William Thompson was born abt 1772 in Virginia. His children were Greenberry, Richard D., James, Nancy L. and Anna Lucinda. William Dickerson married Susannah Dougherty (various spellings of Dougherty) on June 21, 1797 in Franklin County, Virginia. They lived in Franklin County, Virginia from 1799 to 1804. He was listed on the Kentucky tax rolls starting in 1805 to 1842, when he died. Susannah was the daughter of Elizabeth (unknown maiden name) Doughetry. Elizabeth Dougherty married Henry Parker on Jul 7, 1791 in Franklin County, Virginia. I think Elizabeth actually married Thomas Dougherty, but I can't prove that. Susannah Dougherty Thompson died after 1850.

As for Alexander Thompson, who died and the will was proved by William D. Thompson in Wayne County, Kentucky...no I don't have the Will. I looked for a copy of it on one of my trips to Wayne County, but I couldn't find a copy.

You know, there was another Thompson family that settled in Pulaski County, Kentucky. Those Thompson's were involved with Norris families. The Pulaski County Thompson's are said to be a different family.

Do you think our Thompson's are related?

Thanks, Linda

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
Hello Linda
I believe are lines are connected however as of yet I have not made the connection. My line is in Augusta Co, Va. starting in the 1740's then two generations later in Greene Co, TN finally ending up in Pulaski Co, Ky. after the Civil War. I have been researching the Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia and have found connection going into Ky. around 1781 from Washington Co, Va

My 5th great-grandfather was married abt 1770 in Rockbridge Co, Va, which is near Franklin Co, Va. His line comes down from William Thompson who first came to Augusta Co,Va abt 1740. However I know there are defiantly two Thompson families that crossed through these counties, that of a Rev. John (I think) Thompson and mine. The Rev was even in Augusta for a couple years but if I recall correctly he was from eastern Va or Pa.

Since most families from the Augusta and nearby counties came through Washington Co, Va and there is a connection to that county to the Augusta Co. Thompson's it is highly probable that since most of the Thompsons of Ky enter the state between 1780-1800 there is a relationship.

The main difficulty in the Thompson's of Va is they all used common names, I would recommend looking for a Dickerson connection. There is a Barry Decker on a family site I am on that is a descendant of your William Dickerson Thompson. He also is stuck where you are. I do have a little info on his family if you would like to email me I will send you what I have.

By the way according to what I determined from cenus records Alexander Thompson would have been born Bet. 1760 - 1770 and was possible Williams brother. I had thought they may have been descendants of James Thompson who was the first surveyor of Lincoln Co, Ky and who I had thought might be the James Thompson in my line (5th great-grandfather) however I now think he maybe the Captain James Thompson born in Augusta Co, Va in abt 1756 son of William Thompson jr. and the James that had huge land holdings in many south western Va Counties, from 1776 on or at least a close cousin.

Sorry this isn't much help but there are so many Thompsons in a relativly small area.
Feel free to email me.

David

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 2:54PM GMT
Surnames: Dougherty Thompson
Linda, checkout this link,it places the Dougherty family in both Augusta and Rockbridge Co, Va

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~madgenealogist/Daug...
Posted: 12 Jan 2009 12:03AM GMT
There was an Alexander Thompson, son of William Thompson whose Will is the first one recorded in Lincoln Co KY.
The other Alexander Thompson is the son of James Thompson, both of whom are recorded through Deeds in Pulaski Co KY. It appears that there is some mix up of information.
Posted: 12 Jan 2009 12:04AM GMT
There was an Alexander Thompson, son of William Thompson whose Will is the first one recorded in Lincoln Co KY.
The other Alexander Thompson is the son of James Thompson, both of whom are recorded through Deeds in Pulaski Co KY. It appears that there is some mix up of information.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 2:38AM GMT
My GGGG grandfather was Alexander Thompson. Alexander had a son named William D(avid) Thompson. I'm still searching but it seems that Alexander's father was also named William but that is questionable due to conflict in birth years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.