Search for content in message boards

Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK Ryles & their UK descendents

Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK Ryles & their UK descendents

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 3:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RYLE
My paternal grandmother was Doris Hetty Ryle of Romford, Essex UK d. 1957; her father was Henry Ryle b 1876 m Edith Elizabeth Simmons b 1877 of Grays Essex; his father was Thomas Ryle d 1901;

I am trying to establish the relationship to the line including Dean Herbert Edward Ryle, his father Bishop John Charles Ryle b Macclesfield 1816; his father John Ryle b 1758 (MP for Macclesfield 1832-37), and his father John Ryle (Macclesfield Silk Mill Owner) .

I know that either H.E. or J.C. used to visit my grandmother's family, and he was known as “Uncle” although he was probably a cousin.

I am trying to build a tree covering as many of the Macclesfield Ryles as possible, and would welcome the chance to include anything that you have, even if no apparent link at this time. GEDCOM files would be great. Please let me know if you would like to receive the results.

Many thanks

Drew

Re: Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK Ryles & their UK descendents

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 12:46PM GMT
Hi
My name is Mary Cohen nee Ryle. I live near Macclesfield.
I have done a lot of research on my Ryle ancestors who lived in the macclesfield area. They are not related to the Ryles of silk mill ownership but worked themselves in the mills. So there are apparently some well to do Ryles and some not. Are you from England or elsewhere and do you want any photos taken of locations?

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 2:56PM GMT
I am from England, but following the Ryle tradition, I ran away to America in 1998 and I am now a US citizen.

My paternal Grandmother was a Ryle, but she died in 1957 when I was just a few weeks old. My late father was given Ryle as a middle name as his mother had no brothers to continue the name.

My Grandfather told me that his wife recalled 'The Bishop' coming to tea on Sunday when she was a child, and called him Uncle. I am certain that he was not an Uncle, and presume this to be H.E. rather than J.C.. Perhaps he was an older cousin, called Uncle out of respect?

I have been looking at one of JC's uncles who "married a woman of lower station" (after getting her pregnant I suspect) and was disowned and went down south. He later remarried.

Do you have a tree published that I can peruse?

My email is awitham@officer.com if you prefer to correspond

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 1:36PM GMT
Hello Mary
like you my Ryle ancestors of Macclesfield worked in the silk mills. My grandmother was Nellie Ryle, bn Macclesfield 1899. Her parents were John Ryle m Laura Wood. His parents were Thomas Ryle m Margaret Tomlinson and his parents were John Ryle m Ellen Fitzgerald. This is as far as I go at the moment. Do you recognise any of these? I do have all their siblings.
regards Austin

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 4:02PM GMT
Hi Austin,
I recognise the names from my research but don't think they are related to my branch unless a long way back.
Mary

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Ryle
Just read your post (3 years later). My paternal grandfather George Ryle was born In Macclesfield in 1914 and my father who died last July was starting to build a family tree and has some interesting stuff passed on to him from a Ryle in America !! Our immediate family settled in Stockport. Perhaps an exchange of info might be possible?

Steve Ryle. Northwich.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Ryle
I am currently researching to write a book about the story of Macclesfield Cricket Club.
In researching John Ryle I came across your posting on Ancestry and wondered whether or not you could confirm, correct or add to the following:
'The first organized cricket in Macclesfield was played in 1830, when the Ryle family formed a club in the grounds of the mansion in Ryles Park, now known as South Park. John Charles Ryle, born 1758, (MP 1832 -37) organized the club and when he became Bishop of Liverpool he became active in cricket in that city.'
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.